M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II Chat

PlaStix

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Is the M40 GMC allowed in this build ?

I would think so, from wiki’s description. 

The 155 mm Gun Motor Carriage M40 was an American self-propelled artillery vehicle built on a widened and lengthened Medium Tank M4A3chassis, but with a Continental engine and with HVSS (Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension), which was introduced at the end of the Second World War.

Yes the chassis was widened/lengthened but it uses the same engine (radial), the easy eight suspension, and looks to be the same transmission ? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

for my Priest build I am trying to find some spare parts for extra stowage - am looking for some spare wheels and track (indi link so I can pose it as stowage).... does anyone have any going spare? the rest will be ValueGear/Miniart stuff and home made

I am interested having another go as I ground to a halt with my M10 in the first groupbuild. Have a ton of M4s and variants so will decide nearer the time. Have a few ideas.......

• Like 2

The Slapton Sand`s Sherman was recovered from the sea in 1984 after spending 40 years under water, hence it's unusual "patina". It was lost during the Operation Tiger training exercises, were American forces were practicing a beach assault off the Devon coast in preparation for D-day. Just as the ships were getting into formation a group of German E-boats attacked, during the ensuing chaos several ships were sank & over 900 men were killed. The tank now stands as a memorial for those lost during the incident & a meeting point for an annual anniversary were they honor them.        

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 22/12/2021 at 16:13, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hey Stix

I hope you are well!

Would it be possible to join the GB with this candidate 😎

spacer.png

Thank you!
MD

Hi MD. I am really sorry for the very slow reply. You can certainly join us with that kit! Excellent choice. I have added you and your kit to the list in my first post.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

On 24/12/2021 at 11:06, Mig Eater said:

I have a resin conversion in my stash for the T31 Demolition Tank that I've waiting for the right time to build. This GB overlaps with 2 others I want to take part in though (Big Brit & Japanese), so we'll have to see how well I can manage my time, I might be forced to pick 1 of the 3 GB in the end.

Real+big+ok.jpg 

Hi Mig Eater. I am very sorry for the very slow reply. That looks to be a very interesting project. I hope you find the time to join us and build it! I have added you to the list in the first post anyway.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 25/12/2021 at 10:05, robw_uk said:

my build decided - Italeri 1/35 M7 Priest (assume that fits the brief).....may get some AM for it will see whats available/reference images are out there

found it....

0-PRIEST-IN-LST-UK-JUNE-1944.jpg

Hi Rob. I am very sorry for the very slow reply. Great ideas for a build. I have added it to the list in the first post.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just ordered a M4A2 kit which I need the turret a few other bits from so I can finish two Sherman mine roller projects from the shelf of doom (they are over 25% complete otherwise they would be perfect for this GB 😅). This leaves me with a M4A2 hull that needs a new turret. First thing that comes to mind is the T52 anti-aircraft prototype, the big ball turret shouldn't be to much work to design & 3D print so this could be a possible alternative build for the GB.

EzS9fbbUcAgsKmS.png 

• Like 5

On 10/01/2022 at 01:54, bull-nut said:

I'll take a stab at this one, I've had a 1/48 M3 medium scratch build (with some 3d printing) on my mind for a while now, and this seems as good a time as any!

Hi bull-nut. That sounds like a very interesting project. I have added you and your project to the list in the first post.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 14/01/2022 at 11:26, Threadbear said:

I am interested having another go as I ground to a halt with my M10 in the first groupbuild. Have a ton of M4s and variants so will decide nearer the time. Have a few ideas.......

Hi Grahame. Great to have you taking part again. I have added you to the list in the first post.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone shopping around for Sherman aftermarket parts should should consider taking a look at Historex.

https://www.historexagents.com/#

Was surprised at what I found there, Light Guard set and Footman Loops from MJ productions,  T54E1 tracks from Masterclub, Wading gear from Reisicast, and some assorted resin tanker heads from Hornet.  Just as surprising is how quick they shipped, less than three hours after placing my order.

mjez35004-4.jpg

r352291-1.jpg

38163_rd.jpg

hbh4-1.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, JackG said:

Anyone shopping around for Sherman aftermarket parts should should consider taking a look at Historex.

Was surprised at what I found there, Light Guard set and Footman Loops from MJ productions,  T54E1 tracks from Masterclub, Wading gear from Reisicast, and some assorted resin tanker heads from Hornet.  Just as surprising is how quick they shipped, less than three hours after placing my order.

mjez35004-4.jpg

r352291-1.jpg

38163_rd.jpg

hbh4-1.jpg

regards,

Jack

Lovely stuff at the Historex site, ssdly they have a dream model (BARV) all in resin but I couldnt afford $130 to get one. Maybe I can play the lottery and win ? 

I know what  you mean, the Historex purchase combined with a Sherman kit and some aftermarket suspension is more than my monthly heating bill.  Good thing I'm not a speed builder,  let alone build 35th scale vehicles on a regular basis.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Wondering if this part built hull would be under the 25% WIP rule? I currently plan to built it with either a dozer blade or a mine roller attached to the front, so you might want to take that into consideration when thinking of the overall amount of work done 😛

m4a3e8_00.jpg  

BTW I have a pair of Shermans in the KUTA GB if anyone is interested...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

Wondering if this part built hull would be under the 25% WIP rule? I currently plan to built it with either a dozer blade or a mine roller attached to the front, so you might want to take that into consideration when thinking of the overall amount of work done 😛

m4a3e8_00.jpg  

BTW I have a pair of Shermans in the KUTA GB if anyone is interested...

Hi Mig Eater. Knowing how much work and detail you put into your projects I'd say that looks to be within the 25% rule to me. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JackG said:

mjez35004-4.jpg

r352291-1.jpg

38163_rd.jpg

hbh4-1.jpg

regards,

Jack

Thanks Jack. There are lots of things there that interest me as well as the brilliant items you have shown us. I wasn't aware of the site before so you have a.) made me happy and b.) made me poor.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Mig Eater. Knowing how much work and detail you put into your projects I'd say that looks to be within the 25% rule to me. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Well that gives me 3 potential projects for the GB then 😁 I need to finish those other two Shermans first though!

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

Historex has been in my bookmarks for ages as a source for figures, couple decades for sure.   Do not recall if they were carrying aftermarket vehicle parts back then, but yes MJ Productions is a fairly new 3D printed brand.   Masterclub has been around for some time too, but their venture into metal tracks is of the recent past.

regards

Jack

On 01/02/2022 at 18:50, JackG said:

Yup, I've been using Historex Agents, intermittently, for more decades than I care to admit to - great service from them.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

@fatfingers, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @bigfoot, @robw_uk, @Robert Stuart, @Bonhoff, @TEMPESTMK5, @JackG, @Ted, @klr, @Bullbasket, @Jasper dog, @Matt B, @diablo rsv, @badger, @Tim R-T-C, @Angus Tura, @Marklo, @Six97s, @Das Abteilung, @diases, @desert falcon, @Ian C, @Rob S, @Scargsy, @Ozzy, @planecrazee, @Ray_W, @Bertie Psmith, @sardaukar, @trickyrich, @Longbow, @Geo1966, @MarkSH, @Enzo Matrix, @GREG DESTEC, @ColonelKrypton, @TimJ, @wellzy, @THEscaleSHOW, @Mig Eater, @bull-nut & @Threadbear

Just to let you all know - There is only four weeks until this GB starts!!!

Get those M3 and M4 kits out of the stash, find all your glues, paints and accessories required and get your reference material sorted.

This is the only AFV STGB of the year, so we need to make it count!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

• PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II - Saturday 19th March until Sunday 19th June 2022 - Only 4 weeks until the start!!