M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II Chat

PlaStix

On 11/6/2021 at 12:40 AM, trickyrich said:

well it now looks like the standard of this STGB has just dropped considerably......... I'm joining in!!!! :D

By pure chance this dropped into my shopping yesterday, it was completely unplanned too.

35209_art-L.jpg

But boy what a nice looking model she is and super detailed as well. Unfortunately they didn't have the Aussie one in store, This one contains pretty well all the bits i need except the hatches for the current (the Aussie ones didn't have the tiny turret) and the side skirts, but Eduard make a set of those.

Should be a fun model to build.

And I have the Aussie one and would have preferred this one. We have each other's kits!

• Haha 1

• PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II - Now in the 2022 Calendar!! Thanks to all who voted.
On 13/11/2021 at 01:14, Longbow said:

Tentatively count me in ;)

Tentatively I've counted you in at number 34! Hopefully you'll get chance to build one of your fantastic builds with us when this GB gets underway.

5 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

I am interested. I have a Tamiya Easy 8 in the strash.

George

Hi George and welcome! Great to have you here. You are our first signup after we got this GB confirmed in next year's calendar! Well done. Looking forward to seeing what you build.

Well, we have got this M3/M4 STGB in next year's calendar!! Wahoo!! It was a bit close at times. I think we dropped out of contention on a couple of occasions but, thankfully, a couple of votes came our way on Sunday afternoon/evening.

A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO VOTED FOR THIS STGB.

Now to decide what to make. As I'm hosting, I think I've decided (at the moment) not to risk anything in 1/35. Currently, I'm rather tempted to build Tamiya's 1/48 British Sherman IC Firefly that I have in the stash already. I have some Tamiya figures that I could include as well, so I may make a bit of a vignette. I will also see if Parabellum, in Brum, have the Hauler photoetch set for it, in stock.

If you know what you are going to build, or what you are thinking of building, at this point - let me know and I'll add it to the list in the first post. I've added mine already.

@fatfingers, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @bigfoot @robw_uk, @Robert Stuart@Bonhoff@TEMPESTMK5, @JackG, @Ted, @klr, @Bullbasket, @Jasper dog, @Matt B, @diablo rsv, @badger, @Tim R-T-C, @Angus Tura, @Marklo, @Six97s, @Das Abteilung, @diases, @desert falcon@Ian C, @Peter Browne, @Rob S@Scargsy, @Ozzy, @planecrazee, @Ray_W@Bertie Psmith, @sardaukar, @trickyrich, @Longbow and @Geo1966.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

Happy it got through too.

Simple choice for me, Revell Firefly Vc (Ex Matchbox), one Airfix M4 Sherman/LCT combo (Possibly corrected so the turret is the right size at least) and two Airfix Lee/Grants  (Building one of each) all in 1/76th scale.

IanJ

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

Happy it got through too.

Simple choice for me, Revell Firefly Vc (Ex Matchbox), one Airfix M4 Sherman/LCT combo (Possibly corrected so the turret is the right size at least) and two Airfix Lee/Grants  (Building one of each) all in 1/76th scale.

IanJ

Hi Ian,

Yeah, me too!

I have added your's to the list! Thank you. Great set of choices! Looking forward to seeing them being made.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II - Saturday 19th March until Sunday 19th June 2022 - Thanks to all who voted.
15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Brilliant, I’m planning a Rubicon Firefly. Something different and the kits do look nice.

Hi Ozzy! I had never heard of Rubicon before. I have just checked on Scalemates and they do look very impressive kits. I'm looking forward to seeing it being made. I have added it to the list in the first post.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Is it just a little ambiguous to say I'll do a 1/35 Sherman, probably the best known BritishTank of all time....:whistle:

Hi JD. Great stuff!! I have added it to the list in the first post. Do you know which kit you'll use?

Kind regards,

Stix

Congrats Stix,

Looking forward to this one a great deal. Timing works well for me and not too long to wait. If I am back in Australia it will be my 1/35 RFM Firefly. If I am in Europe it will be the 1/35 RFM M4A3E8. Most probably the latter so put me down for the "Easy Eight".

Ray

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I’m thinking Airfix 1/35 M10. Next to track one down.

Hi Mark. Emodels has one listed at £33.29. Haven't checked places like Ebay though. I have added it to our list.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi JD. Great stuff!! I have added it to the list in the first post. Do you know which kit you'll use?

Kind regards,

Stix

I've an Asuka Firefly with some Fruil Duck Bills, that.....fits the bill!..:doh:

That said come the start date it could be an Operation Cobra M4A1 76, so much Choice!

Not the best time of year for me but I'll do my best.

Thanks Stix.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Congrats Stix,

Looking forward to this one a great deal. Timing works well for me and not too long to wait. If I am back in Australia it will be my 1/35 RFM Firefly. If I am in Europe it will be the 1/35 RFM M4A3E8. Most probably the latter so put me down for the "Easy Eight".

Ray

Hi Ray. Yes I've been looking forward to this GB too. And yes, I think Enzo has done a great job with the calendar. Both nice choices of kit from your goodself - I have put the "Easy Eight" on the list - please just let me know if anything changes. Can't wait to see either of them in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I had hoped to have a go at the Leopard STGB and another pop at some armour, however, I do have a Tamiya M4 early production that was meant to be built for the D-Day 75th anniversary GB of 2019 which was unfortunately a non-starter so I'll enter it in this GB if I may.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

I have a pile of Sherman kits in 1/72, and I have a Fury aftermarket kit as well with logs and stuff. So maybe a 'Fury' or has that been done to death?

Hi sardaukar. It sounds like you have a lot of choices. You should always build whatever you want - never worry what's been built before. If we did that - think how many 1/72 Mk.I Spitfires would never get made! Let me know your current preference and I'll add it to the list. i can always change it if you change your mind.

Kind regards,

Stix

9 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I've an Asuka Firefly with some Fruil Duck Bills, that.....fits the bill!..:doh:

That said come the start date it could be an Operation Cobra M4A1 76, so much Choice!

Not the best time of year for me but I'll do my best.

Thanks Stix.

Hi again JD. I've recorded yours as the Asuka Firefly, but you can always let me know if you change your mind. Hopefully you'll be able to find some time to make it during the GB period. I hope so - the Asuka Firefly is supposed to be a fantastic kit. I have one in the stash but hosting a GB takes time too, so I'll save that one for some other time.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

I had hoped to have a go at the Leopard STGB and another pop at some armour, however, I do have a Tamiya M4 early production that was meant to be built for the D-Day 75th anniversary GB of 2019 which was unfortunately a non-starter so I'll enter it in this GB if I may.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark. Yes I was hoping the Leopard STGB was going to get through the voting too - I had a kit purchased and ready to go - a HobbyBoss Canadian Leopard 2A4M - luckily the Canadian GB got through the vote - so I can build it there!

You certainly may build your Tamiya M4 here. Can I just check - is it the 1/35 version or the 1/48? - so I get it right on our list.

Kind regards,

Stix

6 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Can I just check - is it the 1/35 version or the 1/48? - so I get it right on our list.

It's the 1/35th kit, it was going to be built alongside the Revell LCM3 which may still happen yet.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Just now, MarkSH said:

It's the 1/35th kit, it was going to be built alongside the Revell LCM3 which may still happen yet.

Cheers,

Mark.

Great, thank you. I'll add the Revell kit if you definitely decide to do it. I have added you to the list in the first post. Great to have you along for this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

4 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Miniart Australian M3 Lee, full interior. 1/35 I plan to do it as a simple cutaway as though it was an exhibit in a museum. No figures, no diorama. Maybe a simple base. Minimal weathering as it represents an old tank, not a dirty or damaged one.

Hi Bertie. That sounds like it should be an impressive model! I'm looking forward to following your project. I have added it to our list in the first post.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1