M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II Chat

PlaStix

Hi all,

@fatfingers, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @bigfoot, @robw_uk, @Robert Stuart, @Bonhoff, @TEMPESTMK5, @JackG, @Ted, @klr, @Bullbasket, @Jasper dog, @Matt B, @diablo rsv, @badger, @Tim R-T-C, @Angus Tura, @Marklo, @Six97s, @Das Abteilung, @diases, @desert falcon, @IanC and @pbrowne.

In case you haven't noticed yet, this STGB proposal has made it through to the voting at the end of the year. Thank you to you all for signing up. We now need to keep the momentum going and get this through the bunfight. You may also notice this thread has been moved into the Bunfight section of the forum.

If anyone else wants to sign up you would be more than welcome. The more the merrier!!

With the GB proposal getting into the vote, my thoughts are now turning to which of the many M3s and M4s I have in the stash I might build. I've got several examples in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/35. Anyone else had any thoughts as to what they might build if this STGB gets through the vote?

Thank you all again.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Anyone else had any thoughts as to what they might build if this STGB gets through the vote?

Definitely a Sherman. I'm thinking one of the Tamiya 1/35 jobs because I want something relaxing to build with nice rubber band tracks! ;)

• Like 3

This would be my first group build so I think I’ll keep it simple with the Tamiya 1/48 Easy Eight and do a small winter vignette with a couple figures.  Several 1/35 Asuka Shermans have made their way to my stash though, so who knows :hmmm:

• Like 3

Hmmmm so many to choose from in the stash! I do have a Bronco Ram that I may do - thats if i don't get tempted by it before then of course! 

And many thanks to @PlaStix for sorting this following an off the cuff remark i made in my PzIII GB thread! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I'm not an armour expert - is an M3 a Lee/Grant or Stuart or both? 🤔

Technically both but in this case would be the Lee/Grant since the Sherman was developed off this chassis.  

Edited by Matt B
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt B said:

I believe it would be the Lee/Grant in this case since the Sherman was developed off this chassis.  

You are indeed correct. The M3 'Stuart' was classed as a light tank and the M3 led to the development of the M4.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

nice work everyone... i dont have a kit in the stash to build so will need one... full interior perhaps, would love a firefly for a British flavour but they are all expensive, maybe a Grant/Lee from miniart

• Like 2

In the stash I have three possible candidates, M4A2, M4A4, and the Firefly Vc.   Whichever I choose, will definitely be in Canadian markings and have been researching these off and on for a few years:

M4A2 - HOLY ROLLER from 1st Hussars, landed at D-Day and and was still in service the final day of the war

M4A4 - Ontario Tank Regiment, Italian campaign

Firefly Vc - COMTESSE de FEU - another 1st Hussars vehicle, known for destroying 7 German tanks (5 being the Panther) during the first five days upon landing at the Normandy beachhead

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matt B said:

Technically both but in this case would be the Lee/Grant since the Sherman was developed off this chassis.  

2 hours ago, fatfingers said:

You are indeed correct. The M3 'Stuart' was classed as a light tank and the M3 led to the development of the M4.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks.

I have a few 144th scale Firefly models which are earmarked for a diorama of a British force entering a German town in early 1945. This will probably be my contribution - unless I build it first 🤔😉

• Like 3

Quick look through the present stash.  All 1/35

Dragon PTO "Composite Hull"  M4

Academy M4A3 Sherman with T34 "Calliope"

M36B1 "Jackson" GMC

The M36 is based on Sherman, but not seen it mentioned yet. Allowed?

Paul

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diases said:

Quick look through the present stash.  All 1/35

Dragon PTO "Composite Hull"  M4

Academy M4A3 Sherman with T34 "Calliope"

M36B1 "Jackson" GMC

The M36 is based on Sherman, but not seen it mentioned yet. Allowed?

Paul

Yes The M36 is an M4 chassis with the standard M36 turret seeing as both are based on the M3/M4 chassis drivetrains it should be ok. Im planning on the same vehicle or an M4(105) my grandfather drove in the Pacific. Ultimately though Im only co-host and @PlaStix has the final say. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Sorry for the very slow reply - been a bit busy in the Pz.III STGB and with the rest of life!!

Fantastic suggestions one and all and I can't wait!! We must make sure we get this through the voting at the end of the year!!

Hi @diases - as @Corsairfoxfouruncle kindly mentioned - the M36 is more than acceptable.

Kind regards,

Stix

Seeing @Graeme H enjoyed the first M3/M4 GB so much with his Heller 1:72 Sherman I’d like to take part in the GB in his memory if it gets through the Vote. 

Lots in the “Stash” to chose from in 1:76 / 1:72 (although no Heller Shermans as they just don’t seem to make it to Australia) and 1:35. 

• Like 3

Sign me up - I love a lopsided oddity so a Lee/Grant probably, also haven't done a tank green in over 8 years (though I'm now thinking about North Africa camo at the moment!)

No M3/M4s in the stash at present but fairly sure I can fix that :)

• Like 2

• PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II for 2022 - now @28!! - Anyone else?

Hi @Rob S, @Scargsy and @Ozzy. Thank you for signing up to support this proposed STGB. I have added you all to the list in my first post in this thread. It's already in the bunfight at the end of the year - now we just need to get as many people voting for this GB when the voting starts in November!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II for 2022 - now @29!! - Anyone else?

Just checked the stash and I have 8 kits that would qualify for this GB. I need to build at least one of them that isn't a 1/100 wargames model and I can't think of a better place to do it.

tl;dr - I'm in :D 

Andy

• Like 2

On 2/24/2021 at 4:26 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

I'm not an armour expert - is an M3 a Lee/Grant or Stuart or both? 🤔

It gets better - when the US entered the war they had the M3 SMG (the 'Grease gun'), M3 half track, M3 light tank (Stuart) and M3 medium tank (Lee/Grant) all in service at the same time. No wonder when we got them we gave them names instead :) 

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Haha 2