M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II Chat

PlaStix

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You can up-armor the M10 by adding the roof and side plates ? 

Good idea.

You'd lost sight of much of the interior. That might be a good thing or a bad one depending on your point of view.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Have the crew drying their freshly washed uniforms over the MG and the gun barrel?

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You can up-armor the M10 by adding the roof and side plates ? 

Thanks!

I more like meant an odd one operator / conflict wise!

I most likely not gonna do a diorama  but the former one sounds tempting :D

Who else used M10s (in anger) e.g after WWII?

Here's an excellent reference book for the M3 builders.

David Doyle's excellent book M3 Lee Grant. The Design Production and Service of the M3 Lee Medium Tank, the Foundation of America's Tank Industry. @Hoppybrought it up on @trickyrich's thread and I thought it deserved a wider audience. I'll repost this on the Reference thread too.

It's 470 large pages of information, with hundreds of black and white photos and a few in colour. There are hundreds of detail photos inside and out, taken during manufacture in the US. All the variants are described and illustrated. It's perhaps a little more detailed on the design and manufacture than the in-service aspects. I read it from cover to cover last year. It's well written and easy to digest. Unfortunately, it's over £40 in UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/M3-Lee-Grant-production-foundation/dp/0993564682

y4mC68qh_83TV-5DI-H7XEAFT5Ii74Yy726RSswA

(Only the cover photo is colourised and retouched in that ridiculous way, the ones inside are brilliant.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Who else used M10s (in anger) e.g after WWII?

Wikipedia has the following list of operators of the M10.

6.1United States Army

6.2British Army

6.3Free French Army

6.4Red Army

6.5Germany

6.6Israel

6.7Egypt

I hope that's useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Wikipedia has the following list of operators of the M10.

6.1United States Army

6.2British Army

6.3Free French Army

6.4Red Army

6.5Germany

6.6Israel

6.7Egypt

I hope that's useful.

Interesting! apart from the usual suspects, seems that Israel modified their M10s and also captured Egyptians ones with French guns (75mm CN-75 50) SA50 gun from the AMX-13

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/544650-m10-sa50-israeli-wolverine/

https://ritastatusreport.live/the-m10-gun-motor-carriage-in-israel-by-life_in_black/

5aKVRV6.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/5aKVRV6.jpeg

• Like 1

6712-A879-8-D8-B-4-D61-A1-E7-67-FBA58241Remembered that I have this on my kindle library so I’m now rereading it. Read the chapters on the M2 and predecessors ( surprisingly few) and I’m nearly finished reading about the Lee ( which cost a whopping $33,800 in 1941 !) the  M4 is the next chapter.

• Like 1

Yes Israel did experiment with the CN-75 gun on a couple of M10s, which may have been 17pdr Achilles. But it wasn't taken forward, IIRC essentially because the M50 came along. AFAIK Egypt had no M10s. They did have Archers, some of which IDF captured but did not feel compelled to re-use.

I guess I need to pick something from my M3/M4 stash to do. Sticking to the rules none of the WIPs can count as they're already built and base-painted. I'm thinking of doing the Zvezda M4A3 76 as a Black Panthers tank. 761st Tank Battalion, the only coloured American tank battalion in NWE if not the entire US Army. I have all the bits and markings.

Edited by Das Abteilung
correction
  • Like 1

Sorry for the (stupid) question... other than looking like a Sherman (which I can tell!) How can I figure out which other tanks are:

"This time we're focussing on M3s and M4s and any directly related AFVs"

If the wheels/chassis Looks like a Sherman, a Lee or a Stuart is it ok?

Sorry I'm a noob to armour! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

Sorry for the (stupid) question... other than looking like a Sherman (which I can tell!) How can I figure out which other tanks are:

"This time we're focussing on M3s and M4s and any directly related AFVs"

If the wheels/chassis Looks like a Sherman, a Lee or a Stuart is it ok?

Sorry I'm a noob to armour! 

Take a look in these at the variants and See also sections. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Lee

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman

If you have need of confirmation ask me or @PlaStix

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I guess I need to pick something from my M3/M4 stash to do. Sticking to the rules none of the WIPs can count as they're already built and base-painted. I'm thinking of doing the Zvezda M4A3 76 as a Black Panthers tank. 761st Tank Battalion, the only coloured American tank battalion in NWE if not the entire US Army. I have all the bits and markings.

Dang, Das !!

I’m in the Deep South Bible Belt, and even we don’t use that… “N” word, any more 🤣

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

9 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Dang, Das !!

I’m in the Deep South Bible Belt, and even we don’t use that… “N” word, any more

I have changed the original.  I did not mean to cause any offence.  But you have quoted it, and I cannot change that.

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Das Abteilung said:

Apologies all anyway, and thank you @Corsairfoxfouruncle.  I might have been thinking of period language but I probably just wasn't thinking - for which I stand ashamed.

No worries it happens by accident and wasn't too hard to fix. 

• Like 2

FINISHED !!......

Just Joking :D

Here's one I did a year or so ago, using the rubber band tracks from the Tamiya Kit. 

Photo's for @Robert Stuart and @Geo1966 to look at the kit tracks.

The 11th Armored E8 will be covered in mud, so I think I can get away with the kit tracks. 

This one was actually representing a 6th Armored vehicle in Germany. 

HnGeJUr.jpg

6kiGDjZ.jpg

YTeez0g.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 14/03/2022 at 22:15, Das Abteilung said:

Apologies all anyway, and thank you @Corsairfoxfouruncle.  I might have been thinking of period language but I probably just wasn't thinking - for which I stand ashamed.

I have several tank books that use the same word to describe the 761st Tank Battalion, as Lee @Longbow says, different times.

Talking of different times, I'm feeling awkward about building a pair of Russian lend lease tanks given what is happening in the Ukraine.

I have plenty more M4 choices in the stash, a British or American marked Sherman would ease my conscience and might be the last straw in the sanctions against that muppet Putin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I may join in on the GB as I have a Miniart Grant Mk1 with interior arriving in the next few days.  Just not very confident in getting it finished in the time allowed as my build rate is not that quick and this will be the first tank I have built in over 10 years, but I may just give it a go a see what happens.

• Like 3

So have received some resin cast tow cables ends,   The cable itself I have to provide myself, so does anyone have any ideas about dimensions?  That would be both diameter, and more importantly, cable length.  This would be for an M4A2 subject...

rs=w:1200,h:1200

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JackG said:

does anyone have any ideas about dimensions

For 1/35

Asuka suggest 160mm exposed cable between the ends you have (scale, about 18' 41/2").  You'd need a bit more length to glue into either end.

Measuring Eureka's cable diameter - that is .9mm diameter.

• Like 1