M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II Chat

PlaStix

1 hour ago, Blade2009 said:

I may join in on the GB as I have a Miniart Grant Mk1 with interior arriving in the next few days.  Just not very confident in getting it finished in the time allowed as my build rate is not that quick and this will be the first tank I have built in over 10 years, but I may just give it a go a see what happens.

Yesyesyes! Doitdoitdoit! We can pace each other. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

I know who I'd put money on for finishing first! 

I think you know me and you know MiniArt kits. How long do you think it will take me, in hours and/or days?

It would be interesting to log the time spent, just for fun. Yes I'll start a time sheet, forth or fifthwith.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I think you know me and you know MiniArt kits. How long do you think it will take me, in hours and/or days?

It would be interesting to log the time spent, just for fun. Yes I'll start a time sheet, forth or fifthwith.

Well, I've seen you race out of the gates and finish strong on many group builds. However I am not familiar with MiniArt kits, so... I'm only going to pick a winner, but not by a specific margin!

Congrats on the entropy GB getting into bunfight, also in (probably) record time! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arfa1983 said:

Well, I've seen you race out of the gates and finish strong on many group builds. However I am not familiar with MiniArt kits, so... I'm only going to pick a winner, but not by a specific margin!

Congrats on the entropy GB getting into bunfight, also in (probably) record time! 

With a naturally arising idea like that, and the excellent standard of everyone's imagination who's signed up, together with the friendliness and good humour throughout the proposal topic, how could it fail? Readers, just take a look at this for an example of creative momentum within a group setting...

(I'm shameless 🤷🏻‍♂️)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Yesyesyes! Doitdoitdoit! We can pace each other. 

I will sign up once the kit arrives which should be by Saturday with a bit of luck I may get a bit further than the last GB I took part in on here which didn't get much further than posting a few photos of the kit.

15 minutes ago, Blade2009 said:

I will sign up once the kit arrives which should be by Saturday with a bit of luck I may get a bit further than the last GB I took part in on here which didn't get much further than posting a few photos of the kit.

I'll be a day ahead of you then. If we both followed the instructions, I could warn you about the tricky bits but I'm afraid that's not going to happen. I'm doing my tracks first to get them out of the way while my enthusiasm is at maximum.

And I'm doing a Lee. 

@PlaStix, I have an emergency request to make. I was planning to meet my daughter for the day tomorrow (haven't seen her for ages etc, sob sob), but she's got a problem with her builders and has had to switch me to Saturday - the day I was leaving clear for the GB!

May I please start my Lee tomorrow, Friday on condition that I promise not to touch it all day Saturday? Pretty please? (That always works when my daughter uses it on me.)

Thank you, Master, for your majestic consideration of the pathetic difficulties of your 'umble little worm, Bertie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey, I haven't actually finished anything in the last 3 years so the prospect of finishing something in a month is going to be pretty taxing for me too!

As for M4 tow cable length, I can't give you dimensions offhand.  I do have some Eureka tow cable sets I can measure but that will be tomorrow evening at the earliest.  I know those work as I've used them before.  It needs to be long enough for the front eye to reach the front towing lugs, to which it is sometimes attached by a shackle, and for the back eye to be behind the rear cable clamp.  The rear clamp position varied slightly but is typically between the grouser vent and rear light, and of course inboard of both.

Most resin tow cable ends benefit from being drilled-out slightly as the wire is usually a tight fit.  Make sure the ends are twisted tight: there is nothing worse than a stray strand poking out and stopping you getting it into the eye.  I find it easier to twist the eyes slightly while attaching them, in the direction of the twist in the wire to keep the strands together.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

Hey, I haven't actually finished anything in the last 3 years so the prospect of finishing something in a month is going to be pretty taxing for me too!

3 months not one so breath easy sir. Remember its not about finishing but enjoying the build, it is a hobby after all. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

@PlaStix, I have an emergency request to make. I was planning to meet my daughter for the day tomorrow (haven't seen her for ages etc, sob sob), but she's got a problem with her builders and has had to switch me to Saturday - the day I was leaving clear for the GB!

May I please start my Lee tomorrow, Friday on condition that I promise not to touch it all day Saturday? Pretty please? (That always works when my daughter uses it on me.)

Thank you, Master, for your majestic consideration of the pathetic difficulties of your 'umble little worm, Bertie.

On the grounds that @plastix hasn’t been able to give me a definite refusal, and that I’m a grown-up, and this is ‘only a hobby’ (Only? Ha! A man and his hobby are one thing!) I will begin today. Now, in fact. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

On the grounds that @plastix hasn’t been able to give me a definite refusal, and that I’m a grown-up, and this is ‘only a hobby’ (Only? Ha! A man and his hobby are one thing!) I will begin today. Now, in fact. 

Well you can start of course just don't do more than 25%. 

• Haha 1

RFM suggest 156mm cable length, MENG says 126mm.

I would use cable close to the diameter of the resin clamps, then lay it out where you want it to run.

I would have thought that cable lengths would have varied greatly due to repairs and quality control, so the look will be more important than the length.

Paul

• Like 1

I've found one site that suggests tow cables should be 20' long (in 1/35 scale 174 mm), and 11/8" diameter (just over.8 mm). (Here: http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/Sherman Corner/Glossary of the Sherman Tank.html near the bottom of the page).

20' sounds like a practical value for crew stowing equipment and would include ferrules and eyes.
The shorter lengths proposed by kit manufacturers would be useful lengths for modellers cutting wires to fit either between ferrules or to be inserted into their own ferrules.

Now, off to count some rivets ...

• Like 1

Good Luck and Happy Building to you all.

Getting new Full fibre internet today, so hopefully I'll be back in the game later.

Wifes working all week-end, so should get a bit done in peace.

Catch you all later

Paul

1 hour ago, diases said:

Good Luck and Happy Building to you all.

Getting new Full fibre internet today, so hopefully I'll be back in the game later.

Wifes working all week-end, so should get a bit done in peace.

Catch you all later

Paul

No chance if she sees the bit in bold, as if by magic a list of tasks will appear.

With my Matchbox GB Fury reaching the little work and long wait stage I have found my box of Shermans so shall be joining in with something in 1/48. It will be a nice change from panel scribing and cockpit detailing and painting.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Longbow said:

I’m won’t be starting until after the weekend, as I’m still stuck in North Carolina 🙃

Could be worse, you could be stuck in North Yorkshire. :doh:

Just posted my new build choice, a D-Day M4 with a dozer blade, just to be different. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Could be worse, you could be stuck in North Yorkshire. :doh:

Just posted my new build choice, a D-Day M4 with a dozer blade, just to be different. :whistle:

Ughhhh…. Shiver at the thought !! 😂

• Haha 2