M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II Chat

PlaStix

1 hour ago, diases said:

Hi Guys.

Been a while since I've been on Britmodeller (or modelling in general), and seeing Stix's reminder about this STGB has got me interested again.

So' wallets come out and Meng M4A3E2 "jumbo" should be arriving today.

Looks a nice kit (metal barrel, PE and 4 sets of markings, even has choice of individual track links or rubber bands), and I've not seen anyone else trying a Meng kit on the first post list.

It's going to be OOB, with a street scene base.

Paul

Hi Paul. It's a great looking kit and I have added it in the first post in this thread. And great it's got you back into being interested in modelling again. I'm looking forward to following your progress with it. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 07/03/2022 at 10:33, Longbow said:

I have one of those in the stash, too :D

I may have a slight, "Collection" issue.....

I had feeling you would, that's why I posted the picture :D

Remember that fine line, 🤣

• Haha 1

As you may know I'm pretty keen on weathering, battle damage and decay; I've even proposed a group build along these lines.

However, for the M/3/M4 GB I've decided to break that habit and build my Lee in a fully restored, museum exhibit style. This is partly to save time, I admit, but it will also be interesting to do things differently. I'll be cutting away most of the hull to reveal the inside, but that's a museum thing too.

• Like 5

On 08/03/2022 at 13:01, Bertie Psmith said:

As already announced, this is my daily occupation for the whole three months, I reckon.

I have built the standard M3 Grant kit.  It's a wonderful kit.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have built the standard M3 Grant kit.  It's a wonderful kit.  :thumbsup: 

I'm looking forward to the challenges it will offer me. 😱

Hey Enzo, I'm surprised that you didn't tell me off for abandoning the Tamiya M10 that I said I would build at the same time. 🤣

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Hey Enzo, I'm surprised that you didn't tell me off for abandoning the Tamiya M10 that I said I would build at the same time. 🤣

No worries. I can pick that one up.. :D

• Haha 1

Hi all,

@fatfingers, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @bigfoot, @robw_uk, @Robert Stuart, @Bonhoff, @TEMPESTMK5, @JackG, @Ted, @klr, @Bullbasket, @Jasper dog, @Matt B, @diablo rsv, @badger, @Tim R-T-C, @Angus Tura, @Marklo, @Six97s, @Das Abteilung, @diases, @desert falcon, @Ian C, @Rob S, @Scargsy, @Ozzy, @planecrazee, @Ray_W, @Bertie Psmith, @sardaukar, @trickyrich, @Longbow, @Geo1966, @MarkSH, @Enzo Matrix, @GREG DESTEC, @ColonelKrypton, @TimJ, @wellzy, @THEscaleSHOW, @Mig Eater, @bull-nut, @Threadbear and @edjbartos

There is just one week to go until the start of this GB!

Are you ready?

Checklist:

Kit?*

Glues?*

Paint?*

Aftermarket?

Weathering products?

Figures?

Base?

Scenic items?

*Essentials

Get those modelling benches ready!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

• PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II - Saturday 19th March until Sunday 19th June 2022 - JUST ONE WEEK until the start!!

Almost ready...  waiting for some tow cable ends to arrive, and still designing some PE for the wading trunk that subsequently will be etched by a shop in Scotland.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

I would like to point out that the first M3/M4 STGB started on 30 December 2017.  It was the first AFV STGB ever!

In the four and a bit years since then, we have come a long way! 

Panzer IV

T-55

Tiger

Patton

T-34

Panther

Panzer III

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I would like to point out that the first M3/M4 STGB started on 30 December 2017.  It was the first AFV STGB ever!

In the four and a bit years since then, we have come a long way! 

Panzer IV

T-55

Tiger

Patton

T-34

Panther

Panzer III

It looks like armour is dying a slow death.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

There is just one week to go until the start of this GB!

WHAT!!!!!!!  :yikes: 

Dear god and other favourite deities when did this happen?????? I though we still have months to go till this one started.....but one week! :frantic:

The Phantom is nearly done and I'm still waiting for those decals for the Growler....and I haven't even started the MiG!! Plus I lost count of the number of sprue in my build once it got to 50!!!!!

Guess I'd better extract finger and not faffy about!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Thanks Stix for your tireless reminders :) 

I would really like to take part, only timewise it might be a bit difficult. But we shall see, if at all possible I would very much still like to take part! 

Hi DF. No problem and I hope you get chance to take part.

15 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It looks like armour is dying a slow death.

They do seem a bit thin on the ground these days and I think it's got harder to get any AFV STGBs into being an actual GB with the new rules, because more people on Britmodeller build aircraft - hence more people will vote for aircraft GBs rather than AFV GBs. Unless really popular AFVs are proposed and the AFV Britmodeller community get behind them, then we may not see any in future. We can still build tanks in other suitable GBs, but I think we may not see many Single Type Tank GBs in future.

In the past, Single Type GBs got through if 25 modellers signed up to take part. These days this only gets them through to the voting (bunfight) where they will struggle to get enough votes because more modellers like aircraft.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

A while back there was some talk of having quotas in the STGB section.  I would hate to see AFV STGBs fall by the wayside, especially when so much work was put into getting them moving in the first place.

Maybe it is time to revisit that discussion.  Maybe it can be proposed that 25% of STGBs in any one year are dedicated to non-aircraft subjects.

• Like 4