M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II Chat

PlaStix

28 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Yes very much so, you should have a go at it, would be a lot of fun, all that mud in the tracks and on the suspension, all you need is an M4A3 E8 kit with T66 tracks (Tamiya/Asuka both have T66 I think, or go aftermarket for the tracks) I'll follow along like a hawk if you have a go at one these :thumbsup:

Matt

I actually have both Tamiya kits in the stash, I’d picked up last year. 
I may go on an 11th Armor kick 🤔

• Like 3

Anyone have any info on this 1st Armored M4a3 76 (W) ?

Edit to add, this is actually an M4a3E2. Not a 76 (W). 

I don’t think it would be too hard to build from available kits. 

sKi5Ehf.jpg

Edited by Longbow
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Found another pic. 

yA5Q9Sm.png

Yep, this is the other picture that I mentioned, showing the two triangular mounting plates for the lower armour plate over the final drive, there's a picture somewhere showing an M4A3 that's been cut up for doing this field mod, shows the front plate cut out, and some side plates, I'll try and find it at some point.

Story on the internet is that Patton's 3rd Army were the only ones to do this mod, due to Patton not liking sandbagging (due to weight concerns and ineffective) How true that is I have no idea to be honest :hmmm:

Matt

• Thanks 1

i will be starting it later than March 19th... need to clear the bench of the T54, Wespe, "Small Radio Car with the Long Name" and the Panther ausf F.... but I will be along soon 

• Like 1

For @Longbow If you don't fancy messing around with plastic card for the M4A3E8 armour mod, then you could try messing around with filler instead and do a concrete Sherman ;)

AVvXsEiOt5bj2ZlL1q_wB3seHjsUhZowhjvFmcSN

There's even pictures online of a Pershing with concrete armour on the front, It would seem that Americans will slap concrete on anything :rofl:

AVvXsEhMFr480z6_Uy4SZWsC-5zBu2DrKWofuhg_

This is that picture I mentioned which seems to show where they were cutting the armour plate from for the field mods.

Matt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It never takes long for a groupbuild to turn into a community.  This one has done it even before the GB starts!   There is so much support going on here.

Once I open the GB forum (next weekend at the latest) I will add a reference thread.  Can I ask that @Longbow and @Cerberus repost their excellent pictures and comments in there so they will be available (and easily found) for posterity.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Longbow said:

Anyone have any info on this 1st Armored M4a3 76 (W) ?

I don’t think it would be too hard to build from available kits. 

sKi5Ehf.jpg

That to me looks like an M4A3E2 Jumbo, due to the large round collar on the face of the gun mantlet, but there is strange stuff going on with the side of the hull, almost like the picture has been manipulated? (messed around with) and I just read a reddit post that says it's not 1st Armoured? :hmmm: Das could probably tell you a lot more on this one to be honest.

Matt

• Like 1

Just now, Cerberus said:

That to me looks like an M4A3E2 Jumbo, due to the large round collar on the face of the gun mantlet, but there is strange stuff going on with the side of the hull, almost like the picture has been manipulated? (messed around with) and I just read a reddit post that says it's not 1st Armoured? :hmmm: Das could probably tell you a lot more on this one to be honest.

Matt

I was editing the post as you were typing 🤣👍

It is in fact an E2. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I was editing the post as you were typing 🤣👍

Sorry, lol 🤣 That picture has been puzzling me all night, E2 Jumbo's don't normally have applique armour plates on the hull side (I don't think) But that picture seems to suggest that it has them :hmmm:so maybe Jumbo rebuild on an existing M4A3 hull with applique...

But anyway, here's a sandbag Sherman...

AVvXsEioSE1qVUR9xG1ZybSVMhhzee2RscBRR7z2

Just for inspiration, get the wheels turning :thumbsup:

Matt

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Sorry, lol 🤣 That picture has been puzzling me all night, E2 Jumbo's don't normally have applique armour plates on the hull side (I don't think) But that picture seems to suggest that it has them :hmmm:so maybe Jumbo rebuild on an existing M4A3 hull with applique...

Matt

Apparently the extra side armor was welded in two pieces, on the Jumbo, with a 50mm welded in gap down the center, on each side. 

It looks as though that one had wooden planks tied to the sides, and they've just been blasted apart by the hits to the drivers side location.

Of course, this is total supposition on my part :D

Nice sandbagged Sherman you have there !!

• Like 2

• PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II - Saturday 19th March until Sunday 19th June 2022 - Less than 3 weeks until the start!!
On 26/02/2022 at 17:05, edjbartos said:

Please include me in this one Stix, I have never done a group build before so should be interesting to do one. I have just placed an order for a Miniart M3 British Lee, non interior (for once!) I will be attempting to build the North Africa 8th Army 1942 version.

All the best

Ed

Hi Ed. Great to have you along for this GB, and your first GB..........fantastic!! Hopefully you'll enjoy it and take part in many more. I know after my first couple of GBs I was hooked! I have added you and your proposed kit to the list in my first post in this thread.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, robw_uk said:

i will be starting it later than March 19th... need to clear the bench of the T54, Wespe, "Small Radio Car with the Long Name" and the Panther ausf F.... but I will be along soon 

Hi Rob. No problem........as long as you don't take too long.....or you'll miss out on all the fun!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to this, my second GB. I have a little Heller Sherman ready to go, plus some resin stowage and AB US tank crew figures. 

I was contemplating something in 1/35 but I've been enjoying building various 1/76 tiddlers for the Matchbox GB so I'll probably stick with braille scale for a bit longer. 😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Longbow said:

Apparently the extra side armor was welded in two pieces, on the Jumbo, with a 50mm welded in gap down the center, on each side. 

It looks as though that one had wooden planks tied to the sides, and they've just been blasted apart by the hits to the drivers side location.

Of course, this is total supposition on my part :D

Two full coverage plates welded on, beefing up the side armour, with a large vertical weld in the middle, so the Jumbo maintains smooth(ish) hull sides, like this -

AVvXsEifWopEif6_DMTQT3Bp0uwl0sJ0e9A0nrF5

The one in your picture has probably had something attached to the sides yes, and It's all been blown apart by a shell impact, so I'll go with your supposition :D

If you fancy doing an M4A3E2 Jumbo then the Meng kit has good reviews online, all mostly positive stuff, and there's a good review here on Britmodeller, with some good close up shots of the hull and turret parts, so you can see the quality of the kit parts in terms of texture and such like, in fact Meng and RFM are doing some nice kits, the RFM Sherman VC Firefly is also a very good kit.

Matt

Edited by Cerberus
Me no spell well
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Two full coverage plates welded on, beefing up the side armour, with a large vertical weld in the middle, so the Jumbo maintains smooth(ish) hull sides, like this -

AVvXsEifWopEif6_DMTQT3Bp0uwl0sJ0e9A0nrF5

The one in your picture has probably had something attached to the sides yes, and It's all been blown apart by a shell impact, so I'll go with your supposition :D

If you fancy doing an M4A3E2 Jumbo then the Meng kit has good reviews online, all mostly positive stuff, and there's a good review here on Britmodeller, with some good close up shots of the hull and turret parts, so you can see the quality of the kit parts in terms of texture and such like, in fact Meng and RFM are doing some nice kits, the RFM Sherman VC Firefly is also a very good kit.

Matt

I have the Meng one in the Stash too :D

I went on a Sherman kick a few years ago... I stopped mid way on an M36 B1 GMC...

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 5:05 PM, edjbartos said:

Please include me in this one Stix, I have never done a group build before so should be interesting to do one. I have just placed an order for a Miniart M3 British Lee, non interior (for once!) I will be attempting to build the North Africa 8th Army 1942 version.

All the best

Ed

I'm doing a Miniart Australian Lee, but with the interior. I've been looking at the parts and instructions and it will be touch and go whether I can finish it in three months. It will be interesting to try though.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'm doing a Miniart Australian Lee, but with the interior. I've been looking at the parts and instructions and it will be touch and go whether I can finish it in three months. It will be interesting to try though.

Yes I agree, I already have a M3 Lee/Grant interior in my stash and to be honest I wouldn't be able to build that in three months and do it justice and I don't like to rush a build, so I went and bought this one. Having said that this one has loads of parts and quite a bit of interior included as well, We'll see what happens, really looking forward to this though...

Ed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

I have the Meng one in the Stash too :D

You do know there's a very fine line between Stash, and Collection, right? 🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

I went on a Sherman kick a few years ago... I stopped mid way on an M36 B1 GMC...

I had a quick read through, but I'm not sure quick is the right word for 19 pages lol, Some very nice builds and good info in that crazy thread,  Not....Any.....Airframe, It's the S word, made me chuckle 🤣 and then someone just randomly started making a boat... 🤣 

Matt

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

You do know there's a very fine line between Stash, and Collection, right? 🤣🤣

I had a quick read through, but I'm not sure quick is the right word for 19 pages lol, Some very nice builds and good info in that crazy thread,  Not....Any.....Airframe, It's the S word, made me chuckle 🤣 and then someone just randomly started making a boat... 🤣 

Matt

It was a slight… How do you say it…

Segway ? 🤣

Anyway, I’m ready to Roll !! :D

D619uJa.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/3/2021 at 9:06 PM, PlaStix said:

31. Bertie Psmith - Miniart 1/35 Australian M3 Lee with full interior + Tamiya 1/35 British Tank Destroyer M10 IIC ACHILLES

Hey PlaStix, you can delete the Tamiya kit. I have come to my senses! 🤪

• Like 1