M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II Chat

PlaStix

The first Armour Single Type Group Build on Britmodeller was the M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB back in 2018. There's just been a conversation in the Panzer III STGB that we need another Sherman STGB. I'm sure there's lots of suitable kits in our stashes.

Anyone interested?

Current list of particpants and kits they may build:

01. PlaStix (Host) - Tamiya's 1/48 British Sherman IC Firefly

02. fatfingers - Bronco 1/35 Cruiser Tank Ram Mk.II Early production

03. Corsairfoxfouruncle (Co-host)

04. bigfoot - Dragon 1/35 USMC M4A2 Late PTO

05. robw_uk - Italeri 1/35 M7 Priest 

06. Robert Stuart - Asuka 1/35 Sherman Ic Composite Hull Firefly

07. Bonhoff - Revell Firefly Vc (Ex Matchbox)+ Airfix M4 Sherman/LCT combo + Airfix Grant + Airfix Lee all 1/76

08. TEMPESTMK5 - Heller 1/72 Sherman

09. JackG 

10. Ted

11. klr - Fujimi (ex-Nitto) 1:76 M4A1 (cast hull), M36 Jackson Tank Destroyer and M30 Cargo Carrier

12. Bullbasket - Dragon 1/35 M50 Super Sherman

13. Jasper Dog - Asuka 1/35 British Sherman Firefly (maybe)

14. Matt B - Tamiya 1/48 M4A3E8

15. diablo rsv - RFM 1/35 British Sherman VC Firefly

16. badger

17. Tim R-T-C

18. Angus Tura

19. Marklo - Airfix 1/35 M10

20. Six97s

21. Das Abteilung - Too many kits to choose from!

22. diases - Meng 1/35 M4A3E2 "Jumbo"

23. desert falcon

24. IanC - Heller 1/72 M4 Sherman "D-Day"

25. pbrowne

26. Rob S (building in memory of @Graeme H)

27. Scargsy - Takom 1/35 M3 Grant CDL

28. Ozzy - Rubicon 1/56 Firefly

29. planecrazee

30. Ray_W - RFM 1/35 M4A3E8 "Easy Eight"

31. Bertie Psmith - Miniart 1/35 Australian M3 Lee with full interior

32. sardaukar

33. trickyrich - MiniArt 1/35 M3 Lee with interior

34. Longbow - An up-armored 11th Armored Division M4a3E8.

35. Geo1966 - Tamiya 1/35 Sherman "Easy Eight"

36. MarkSH - Tamiya 1/35 M4 Sherman Early Production

37. Enzo Matrix - Tamiya 1/35 British Tank Destroyer M10 IIC ACHILLES

38. GREG DESTEC - Italeri 1/35 M4A3E8 Sherman "Fury"
39. ColonelKrypton - Academy/Airfix 1/35 Grant to make a Grant MK I ARV T-23673
40. TimJ - Matchbox 1/76 M7 Priest

41. wellzy

42. THEscaleSHOW - Academy 1/35 M12 155mm Gun Motor Carriage

43. Mig Eater - T31 Demolition Tank

44. bull-nut - 1/48 M3 medium scratch build (with some 3d printing)

45. Threadbear

46. edjbartos - 1/35 Miniart M3 British Lee

47. Could be you?

:partytime:  We got through the vote!! This STGB will run from Saturday 19th March until Sunday 19th June 2022.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Ohhhhhh yes! 😁

Regards 

Steve

Great stuff Steve. I've added you to the list.

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Me 

Fantastic! Added.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Need a co host ? 

Absolutely! Thank you Dennis.

27 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

Definitely in for this one, I’ve got far too many (just enough) M4 kits in the stash to choose from.

Great stuff!! Welcome! I think most AFV modellers will have a Sherman or two in the stash.......even some of those modellers who don't do armour much will probably have one too! I have added you to the list.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

dont have any in the stash (of 5 kits) but if it happens will be up for it

Hi Rob. Great to know you are interested in taking part! Always good to have you taking part in GBs! I have added you to the list above. Hopefully you'll be able to find something suitable to build if the GB gets through the voting at the end of the year.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

OK, I'm in
Nothing in the stash for this, but ...

Hi Robert. Glad to know you are interested in taking part! Hopefully you'll find something suitable to build if this GB gets through the voting at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Bonhoff said:

I'm up for another small scale Sherman,

Just so long as I don't have to build a Unimodel one again :banghead:

IanJ

Hi Ian. Great to have you along. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to build!! Yeah....and probably not one from Unimodel! :D

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon  PlaStix

Please add my name to the list I have an Heller in my stash ..

Bets Regards

Patrice

Hi Patrice. I am really pleased to see you are interested in taking part in this GB too. I have heard the Heller Shermans are rather nice.

I have added you all to the list in my first post.

We have 8 members already interested. That's not bad in less than 24 hours. We only need another 17 signups to make sure we are in the bunfight at the end of the year.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, JackG said:

Sign me up, have a couple Shermans and a Firefly option in the stash.

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack. Thank you for signing up. I remember your M3A3 Stuart V, from the D-Day GB back in 2014, really well. One of my fondest, earliest memories of the high standard of modelling on Britmodeller! Thought this photo of it was awesome!

15321781336_d4a7ec0c31_b.jpg

I have added you to the list.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Patrice. I am really pleased to see you are interested in taking part in this GB too. I have heard the Heller Shermans are rather nice.

I have added you all to the list in my first post.

We have 8 members already interested. That's not bad in less than 24 hours. We only need another 17 signups to make sure we are in the bunfight at the end of the year.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Good evening Stix

I already built the Heller kit a few years ago and I have kept very good memories of this build ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ted said:

I'd join, got a few to choose from.

Hi Ted. Great stuff. Glad to have you along. I have added you to the list in my first post.  You are our 10th signup!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

I have quite a few small scale Shermans in my stash, so this gets my vote. I have some Heller, Trumpeter, Unimodel (are they really that bad?), one Italeri (ex-ESCI), one 1/76 Fujimi (ex-Nitto), one Forces of Valor ... and a couple of the new Airfix Firefly Vc kits. I also have an old Hasegawa M3 Lee. I would have a lot more to choose from if I hadn't gone nuts and started a project of 24 quick-build kits (12 Armourfast, 6 Italeri, 6 Plastic Soldier Company), none of which are finished yet.

Are other vehicles based on the M3/M4 chassis also included, as with the Panzer III GB?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klr said:

Are other vehicles based on the M3/M4 chassis also included, as with the Panzer III GB?

They were in the last Sherman build a couple of years ago ? A M7 Priest or M12 was based on the M3 and then there are the M31 and M32 Armored recovery vehicles. Usually if the majority of the vehicle is shared its allowed. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

'Morning Stix,

I hope that this message finds you and yours in the rudest of good health.

I have spoken with my sponsor, and he has told me that if I join this GB, I won't have to attend the weekly meetings of Shermanolics Anonymous. As you would expect, I have one or two subjects to chose from, possibly another IDF vehicle (I have an M50 waiting at the starting gate), or a Hybrid Firefly, but the one that is rising to the top of the pile is an early Sherman lll in N.Africa. So yes, providing that I keep taking the tablets, I'd like you to add my name to the list.

ATB,

John. 

• Like 3

On 06/02/2021 at 23:17, klr said:

I have quite a few small scale Shermans in my stash, so this gets my vote. I have some Heller, Trumpeter, Unimodel (are they really that bad?), one Italeri (ex-ESCI), one 1/76 Fujimi (ex-Nitto), one Forces of Valor ... and a couple of the new Airfix Firefly Vc kits. I also have an old Hasegawa M3 Lee. I would have a lot more to choose from if I hadn't gone nuts and started a project of 24 quick-build kits (12 Armourfast, 6 Italeri, 6 Plastic Soldier Company), none of which are finished yet.

Hi klr. Thank you for signing up - I have added you to the list in my first post. Yes, as Corsairfoxforuncle mentioned - other vehicles, as long as they are definitely based on an M3/M4 chasis are eligible for this STGB.

On 07/02/2021 at 08:10, Bullbasket said:

'Morning Stix,

I hope that this message finds you and yours in the rudest of good health.

I have spoken with my sponsor, and he has told me that if I join this GB, I won't have to attend the weekly meetings of Shermanolics Anonymous. As you would expect, I have one or two subjects to chose from, possibly another IDF vehicle (I have an M50 waiting at the starting gate), or a Hybrid Firefly, but the one that is rising to the top of the pile is an early Sherman lll in N.Africa. So yes, providing that I keep taking the tablets, I'd like you to add my name to the list.

ATB,

John. 

Hi John. Yes we are all well, thank you, and I hope you and yours are too. Good to have you along. I did think this proposed GB might be a little up your street!! I have added you to the list!!

On 07/02/2021 at 11:45, Jasper dog said:

Sign me up if you will please Stix, no shortage of Sherman's to choose from so I'm good to go!

Cheers 

Darryl 

Hi Darryl. Good to have you along for this GB too! I'm somehow not surprised you have a few to choose from. I have added you to the list.

Well - we are now over half way to getting into the vote at the end of the year with 13 people signed up!! That's not bad in less than a week! 

Anyone else fancy taking part if we get this STGB off the ground in 2022? We need just 12 more Sherman fans on board!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

• PlaStix changed the title to M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB II for 2022 - @13

Count me in.  I plan to dip my toes into armor for the first time at some point this year with Tamiya’s 1/48 kits and I think this would be a good reason to set aside the Easy Eight that’s currently in the mail and get my feet wet first with the regular M4 and M10 TD.  Hopefully then with a couple under my belt I won’t embarrass myself!

• Like 3