Do you get burning stinging eyes after airbrushing?

Doggy

It might be a coincidence but my eyes burn quite a bit after airbrushing.

I was using a fair bit of Vallejo MA today and a little bit of tamiya xf.

I do have a booth with an extraction fan running.

If the burning eyes is likely to be down to the paint is there anything I can do to reduce it?

I wear glasses btw.

Thanks.

As I'm sure you've concluded for yourself, it sounds like the paint solvent is irritating your eyes. I don't have huge experience in air-brushing, but have only done it during decent weather, when I can open a door or large window nearby. If the irritation gets really bad, it might be worth buying a full-face mask (although they're not cheap IIRC).

Hope this helps. 

Chris.   

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 1

Get a better extractor or add a secondary fan to the exhaust. Also, there are certain angles which make the paint bounce back towards you and straight to your face, you can typically minimize by making modifications to your technique.

• Like 1

I've been airbrushing for many years and luckily have never experienced stinging eyes. You are 100% doing the right thing in looking into the issue.  Can you get prescription goggles?  My wife has some for her scuba diving

• Like 1

Never had such issues myself, but I'd say if you want to avoid it buy a pair of safety goggles (the sort you see people wearing in labs) or a full face mask (think WW2 gas mask).

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mottlemaster said:

I've been airbrushing for many years and luckily have never experienced stinging eyes. You are 100% doing the right thing in looking into the issue.  Can you get prescription goggles?  My wife has some for her scuba diving

That reminds of the Billy Connolly joke about prescription windscreens.

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone. 

I do have a 3m respirator but I find it uncomfortable. 

Google's or a face mask are worth looking into but they would need to fit over my glasses.

I do have my face quite close to the subject, maybe I'm too close?

Further testing required I think.

Thanks all.

I have not experienced this and I do spray all the types of thinners we use in our hobby. I do wear glasses and a face mask when air brushing and ensure good ventilation. Make sure you do not inadvertently rub your eyes during and after painting until you remove gloves and/or wash your hands. One thing I discovered that reduced the lingering paint smell and extended extraction fan filter life was to ensure air pressures were dropped to a level that ensured effective coverage and self-levelling without excessive fan spray width and velocity. 

Ray    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Doggy said:

I do have my face quite close to the subject, maybe I'm too close?

I also get right into the job at hand. Another reason why I like lower pressures.

• Like 1

Sounds like your face is too close and the paint fumes linger behind the glasses. A more powerful extractor would help, but it doesn't fix it. 

You're spraying acrylics which love higher pressure so that doesn't help because in certain angles, like I previously said, the paint is bounced back straight into your face. It happens to me sometimes, less severe because I use lacquers usually and the air pressure is really low.

The safety goggles might help a bit, but not a lot. And the ones that would "close" the area around your eyes don't normally fit over glasses.

• Like 1