#275 Heller 1/72 Chance Vought F4U-1 Corsair. +++FINISHED+++ (Several months later)

fightersweep

Ok! I'm going to try for one more kit in this GB and attempt to hit build # 11. I wanted to get a kit into the hat that hasn't made an appearance so far, and prompted by @JeroenS, the choice is the Chance Vought F4U-1 Corsair, number 275 in the Heller catalogue and first released in 1979 (great year!). This is a kit that I've had kicking around for a few years which I think was a freebie thrown into a lot I bought online, and it's high time it got some well deserved love.

Here's the box! This is easily in my top five favourite box top artworks from Heller. Very atmospheric and I'm loving the "down and dirty" Corsair about to touch down. 

50904795376_d7c80a0fc9_c.jpg

The box top is in good shape too, but that is a bit misleading, as the contents are a bit of a shambles. So what have we got? Well, there's no instructions and a set of water damaged decals but the plastic is all there. Phew! I don't think the lack of instructions will be a problem as I've built enough F4Us in my time. As for the decals, I've sent a CQD to Mr Hannant.

50904094218_b31b23c76a_c.jpg[

All looks ok in the box, but I'm not sure about the separate wing sections. I understand it makes the kit a bit of a bear to build. I think I'm going to try and throw some aftermarket goodies at this one, so I have some new wheels, cockpit bits, engine and decals on order from Hannants too. As for the colours? I love those tri-colour Corsair schemes, but I'm going to go with an overall Gloss Sea Blue scheme to speed things up a bit, probably a USS Bunker Hill example as I like those a lot. I know everyone does those, but they do look cool.

I have no idea if I will get this done in time as the Hellcat and Heinkel still need done, but I'll give it my best shot.

Steve

Edit. On the topic of markings, I'm guessing this kit actually represents a -1A Corsair as opposed to a -1D. I'm not sure if the Bunker Hill Corsairs were -1Ds or -1As, so a bit of reading up will be needed.I have a feeling they were -1Ds though.

• Like 5

Great choice Steve. The F4U is my favourite US Navy bird. No external difference between the -1A and -1D except no horizontal canopy frame (easy to correct), the foot step at the inner starboard flap and two bomb shackles on the wing centre section. The later -1Ds had four zero-length rocket stubs under each wing (pictures of Bunker Hill Billys show they had them).

• Like 2

Another build! That’s a regular production like you’ve got going Steve. 

Waaaay back this was my original pick for the GB (albeit the Smer reboxing) and it’s still near the top of the stash, will be following with interest.

• Like 1

@TonyOD

Whether or not it get's finished is a different matter! I'll do my best though.

I've only had this kit once before and that was back in the 80s. I don't think it ever got finished either as the wings drove me nuts, so it will be interesting to see how things go this time. I felt the urge to compare it to the Hasegawa kit earlier. Wings are pretty much the same, but the fuselage and cowling on the Heller kit is a lot slimmer than Hasegawa's offering by 3 to 4mm in places. Not sure I have any Corsair plans.  I wonder who has it right?

Steve

• Like 1

@Toryu Thanks for the info. I'll have to see what decals I have and work out what needs to be done. Luckily, I'm not short of options having the Sky Models Corsair sheet. Must be 30 or 40 options on it.

@JeroenS I got there eventually! Just need to start buiding it. 11 days to go!!

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

this is going to be good.

Will follow with great interest!

I have the F4U-1 Heller kit, but inside is the horrid and O so ancient Airfix kit!!!

Rather disappointing.

Have fun!

JR

Good grief, I'd forgotten, I've got the same kit somewhere in the stash!

On 2/3/2021 at 3:52 PM, fightersweep said:

Here's the box! This is easily in my top five favourite box top artworks from Heller. Very atmospheric and I'm loving the "down and dirty" Corsair about to touch down.

Completely agree, the box art is great. Kingkit had a few of these for sale, but I went for this one even though it was a bit pricier.

There's no chance I could complete it in a week, so look forward to following your Build Steve :popcorn:

On 2/3/2021 at 9:53 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Well done Steve

Good luck with this and your other builds.

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat! I'll take all that luck please as I'm starting to sweat the countdown now. Doesn't help that my Gloy Gloss Sea Blue is taking days to dry!

On 2/4/2021 at 4:29 PM, jean said:

this is going to be good.

Will follow with great interest!

I have the F4U-1 Heller kit, but inside is the horrid and O so ancient Airfix kit!!!

Rather disappointing.

Thanks Jean. I've finally made a start so an update should follow soon. I've got a fair few aftermarket bits for the Corsair. I'm wondering if I have the time to use them or just keep it simple. I've never quite understood why Heller put that old Airfix rivet monster in one of their boxes. I get that they all eventually came under the same ownership, but really? Their own version is way better.

On 2/4/2021 at 8:06 PM, Bjorn said:

That's the spirit! In fact, there are lots of hours left in this GB! 😁

Cheers Bjorn! I think I'm going to need every one of those hours too!

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Completely agree, the box art is great. Kingkit had a few of these for sale, but I went for this one even though it was a bit pricier.

It's certainly a great bit of artwork. I've always been fond of the original Hasegawa Corsair F4U-1D artwork as well. The one with the two Bunker Hill Corsairs with the sun set lit background. Lovely stuff!

As far as the build is concerned, I think I'm going to have a go at the 3 (4) tone F4U-1A scheme. I've found a profile with the red surround "Stars and Bars" and it looks the bees knees. Update to follow shortly.

Steve

• Like 2

Ok! Finally got this rolling, although it's not much of an update. First thing I wanted to do was get them pesky looking wings sorted. I remember they were a pain on the first one I built back in the 80s. I think that build stalled. This time around, I think I managed to nail the wings. The only parts that aren't glued are the upper, inner panels. I think they will need a bit of filler, but still need fettling and fitting proper. Still, I think they're all lined up ok, so that's a win I think. Overall, this kit seems to go together quite nicely.

50914101358_6be4c4202b_c.jpg

The cowling has also been glued together and just needs sanded. I've also found that the Quickboost cockpit is a perfect fit, so that will go into the build. Next job is to detail the wheel wells.

50914914737_dc4c150435_c.jpg

Compared to the Hasegawa kit, the Heller fuselage is too skinny and that does effect the look of the kit. It doesn't show too well in the photo, but it's there. It's not something I've seen mentioned in reviews, but I think I can live with it.

50914914727_5599b39c8c_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 3

• fightersweep changed the title to #275 Heller 1/72 Chance Vought F4U-1 Corsair. Time To Get Cracking!
5 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I remember they were a pain on the first one I built back in the 80s.

You remember that kind of stuff Steve? Wow... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JeroenS said:

You remember that kind of stuff Steve? Wow... 

Sure! I can't remember what I was doing five minutes ago, but I remember everything I was doing in 1984 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@JeroenS

Well, I'm trying, but if this gets finished before the deadline, I'll eat my Aeroclub Anson C.19. I'm giving it my best shot though, and the U/C is under way. wings together, engine and prop nearly done and cockpit almost there. I would have liked to really go to town on this kit, but time is against me. If I can get these bits into a Corsair shape by the evening, I may have a fighting chance. Oh the stress!

Interestingly above, I wasn't sure about the outline of the kit compared to the Hasegawa Corsair. Having offered the Heller kit up to the plans in the Detail and Scale book and also the Osprey Corsair Aces book, the Heller kit lines up with the plans perfectly. Maybe Heller got it right and it's not skinny after all.

This is where I am at the moment....

50938357598_f00ca005e1_c.jpg

Steve

• Like 5

Enjoying this. I made a Smer boxing as a Kiwi bird for an ARC GB some years ago, yes the wings were a bit vague in their fit but went together ok in the end. Glue, align, eyeball adjust, & repeat until it sets enough to stay. If you're doing one with the forward aerial mast, from memory, it is in the wrong place, too far back I think. At the end, it looked like a Corsair & I was happy with it. :)

Looking forward to seeing this done. 

Steve.

@stevehnz

Thanks Steve! It's not a bad kit to be honest if you take the wing construction out of the equation. In a lot of ways, it's better that the Hasegawa kit. Thanks for the heads up about the aerial. I've made a note of that.

I think getting this done in time is probably not going to happen. Too much life getting in the way at the moment, but it will certainly be done in a few days. I'll post it up in the chat when it gets finished.

Steve

• Like 1

For those old UK children of the 70s like me who remember the advert, this perfectly describes my Corsair...

50942787242_9172d9ac23_c.jpg

All it needs is a dab of filler and a lick of paint and it would have been across the line. An extra day would have nailed it. Unfortunately, a busy work week and an ill wife had to come before modelling.

50942680716_621908af16_c.jpg

50942787307_c30995e24e_c.jpg

I'm going to carry on plugging away at this today and I'll post the finished result in chat when it's done. Y'know, the Heller kit wouldn't have been my first choice of Corsair kit normally. I think the wings put me off back in the 80s, but it's really grown on me. It's actually a nice kit which maybe more accurate than the old Hasegawa kit. Certainly streets ahead of the old Revell and Airfix kits. I'd build a few more.

Steve

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

• fightersweep changed the title to #275 Heller 1/72 Chance Vought F4U-1 Corsair. So Near, Yet.......!

Sorry to hear Mrs Fightersweep isn't well, get well soon from me, now leave the plastic alone and take her a cup of tea and some of those hobnobs she likes, there's a good boy !

Cheers Pat

PS,  Re our challenge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Certainly was close Steve, but your priorities are absolutely right! Hope Mrs F. feels better soon! And as Jeroen says, you've certainly been busy in this GB. Look forward to seeing the completed Corsair in time.

Cheers,

@JeroenS @Johnson Thank you gents! Sometimes life gets in the way. Poor Mrs Fighterweep has been suffering this week (not Covid by the way!) so I'll pass on the good wishes and make her another cuppa. Yep, Hobnobs are a favourite biccy in Fightersweep mansions, but those McVities VIP jobbies are pretty lush too. The Corsair will be done in the next day or so, so I will post it up as soon as it's finished. I'm enjoying this build too much to drop it now, so stay tuned, it will be here very soon.

@JOCKNEY

Re: The challenge. Yep! I had my bottom handed to me on a plate as our US cousins would say. So I'll get my coat and leave in disgrace.....

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2