British and Irish Dakotas - internal and external colours?

bootneck

I have a few civilian DC-3's and C-47's underway currently but most of the photo's I am referencing are b/w so it's not obvious what colours are.  I am looking for colours of the livery; plus a general idea of the internal seats/carpets colours etc., for any of the following:

Derby Airways

British Midland

Dan-Air London

Aer Lingus - green roofed, such as EI-AFA

Aer Lingus - white (or silver) roofed, such as EI-ACL

Aer Turas

British United

British Eagle

Cambrian

Manx Airlines

I am looking to identify the correct colours in order that I can find their Vallejo equivalent.  Any help would be appreciated very much.

Thanks,

Mike.

Manx Airlines Dakotas G-AMZB and -ZC had mid-blue cheatlines etc. The exact shade isn't known but it's close to Silver City blue. Registrations were black and the Manx Airlines wording was red. The roundels are as per my avatar. 

I'm afraid I can't help with interior colours.

• Thanks 1

Max Decals sheet 4403 in 1/144th scale has decals for Air Lingus DC-3s EI-ACE or EI-ACD and quotes Humbrol H3 Brunswick Green as ideal for the upper fuselage, silver for rest of airframe.  No mention of interiors.  I will scan it and send it on to your email address tomorrow.

I also have instructions and decals for Welsh Models DC-3 in BIA Cargo colours - again will scan and email onward!

Welsh Models did a number of DC-3 schemes if I remember correctly - a check back in their adverts in old copies of SAM should show them - perhaps others on here built the kits but didn't use the decals - have a try in 'Wanted' in case anyone has them stored away.

• Like 1

Thanks for that info on the H3 Brunswick Green colour Mike.   I have about six Daks on the go at the moment.  The Minicraft ones only have U.S. liveried decals and the WM ones are either RAF or Air Atlantique.  I need to get the correct paint first before getting any decals, although they will be needed at some time.

cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, just had a look through some old (very old!) slides and found the British United DC 3 SWIMBO and I flew on from Carlisle (Crosby) to the Isle of Man many moons ago, about 62/ 63! Our recollection was of red plush carpets with red velvet seats and we think white or cream cabin walls/ceiling. I also found a further slide of a Dan Air London DC 3 taken at Ronaldsway  when we were taxying in.

I will need to scan these in, see how they come out but you are welcome to copies if you want. Should be able to get them done in next couple of weeks but no guarantees the colour quality will adequate for you but they might give you a couple of leads. Just let me know if you want them.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

that would be great, thank you.  No rush and not bothered about colour quality of the slides/scans.  It's only to ensure that I don't put blue seats in a red seat setting or vice-versa.  The only area to be seen would be immediately inside the doors, unless I do an all clear fuselage version.

cheers,
Mike

Mike, had a natter with Mrs who confirms the red carpet and seats in the BU Dak. First time for her on a plane and the comfort and decor left an abiding impression!

Ivor, would you like copies of the scans for your records?

Dave

• Like 1