Best metallic paints for applying with brushes.

worcesterjohn

I am very new to modelling and very keen to concentrate mostly on aircraft models of the early Cold War period, because I love the look of bare metal finishes. I don’t want to invest in an airbrush just yet, and my experience of using aerosols is that I would prefer to avoid them except for primer. Can anyone recommend metallic paints that can be brushed on that will give me a decent scale finish on my mig15’s and Starfighters ?

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Mr Metalcolor from Mr Hobby

I found these pretty good with regard to the look, but they are very fragile and the finish easily damaged by masking or any handling,

11 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I don't have a great deal of experience in the area but I used Humbrol Metalcote out of a rattlecan recently and it buffed up very nicely.

MetalCote is my paint of choice for brush painting small parts - quick drying, robust, buffs up well but I don't think I'd use it for painting a large area - its quick drying properties make it difficult to get an even finish. I think the best metal paints require an airbrush. But have you considered the metal foil approach?

Cheers

Colin

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ckw said:

But have you considered the metal foil approach?

Not even considered that TBH. I'm still a relative beginner. I used it for a little 1/72 P-47 and the result was better than "standard" Humbrol 56 rattlecan, which was all I was after at the time. Maybe one for the future.

Welcome to the forum ! I'm sure you'll find this a great place to hang around and talk about the hobby.

Not sure if it's the best, what I can is that based on my experience it's possible to get good results using Vallejo Metal Colour range. These paints are prethinned for use with an airbrush but can also be applied by brush with very good results. The application of these paints with a brush is more similar to the dry-brusing techique than to actually brushing it on, but with a couple of coat you can get a very realistic metal finish. See for example this video for how to use them with a brush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMpsGj1Nbg

Good points of these paints are also that they dry very fast, so allowing a second coat to be applied quickly, they don't smell too much and the brushes can be cleaned with water

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the advice and feedback. I do actually have a can of Humbrol Metalcote Aluminium, but I haven’t really enjoyed the aerosol spraying experience (in a cold damp shed at the bottom of the garden). I will give it a go, rather than waste it, but I’m delighted to hear that there are some brush on alternatives. I’d already looked at the Vallejo Metal Colour range, but was concerned they were airbrush only. The “Metallic Panel” pack they do sounds like it could be a good buy for ‘Jet Age’ models. 

As for the foiling techniques, I hadn’t considered that...I’ll have to get on YouTube and watch some videos ! 

Any advice on the best brushes to use with the Vallejo Metallics ?

Hi

Having just shifted to Vallejo metallics (after giving up on Humbrol metalcote), I can recommend them to start with, and am happy applying them with Pro-Arte brushes (which are what the local art shop sells).

Look after your brushes and the paint works fine.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

I know I will be shot down for this BUT........................ Revell Aqua colour. It's worth getting one pot ...say aluminium  and give it a bash..... 

Use these a lot for what brush painting I do. Drop of flow enhancer and dilute a little with distilled water. ( I nick some of the water the wife uses in her steam iron )

HTH

Dick

5 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Welcome to the forum ! I'm sure you'll find this a great place to hang around and talk about the hobby.

Not sure if it's the best, what I can is that based on my experience it's possible to get good results using Vallejo Metal Colour range. These paints are prethinned for use with an airbrush but can also be applied by brush with very good results. The application of these paints with a brush is more similar to the dry-brusing techique than to actually brushing it on, but with a couple of coat you can get a very realistic metal finish. See for example this video for how to use them with a brush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMpsGj1Nbg

Good points of these paints are also that they dry very fast, so allowing a second coat to be applied quickly, they don't smell too much and the brushes can be cleaned with water

Great video, thanks, looks like a technique I can master as it looks pretty easy ! Certainly easier than finding someone in the UK who has any Vallejo Metal Color in Aluminium in stock ! It’s obviously popular stuff. Finally managed to track some down, so looking forward to the postman arriving .

25 minutes ago, jenko said:

I know I will be shot down for this BUT........................ Revell Aqua colour.

There really aren't any wrong choices (well, within reason). Part of the fun of modelling is finding solutions to problems that work for you. As well as the specific issue, everyone has a whole range of related issues (can't use spray paints, allergic reactions to certain products etc. etc.) Myself, after couple of experiences with Revell Aqua I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - but it must have been me that was doing something wrong as clearly many thousands of others don't find it unusable.:) 

• Like 1

Though I've only used it a little so far, Tamiya metallic paints with some of their Paint Retarder seems to work okay. I haven't tried it of a full aircraft, but it went on well in a 1/72 Hurricane undercarriage bay.

Chris

On 03/02/2021 at 17:08, ckw said:

Myself, after couple of experiences with Revell Aqua I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - but it must have been me that was doing something wrong as clearly many thousands of others don't find it unusable.:) 

Maybe you tried it in airbrush? Revell Aqua is great for brushing (at least for me :)), however, according to what I've read, not many airbrushers like it.