Boeing 707/Boeing 720 double build

Eric Mc

Nice progress on these!  They both look really good.  I think my main problem with the Airfix -420 is with how I perceive the shape of the wing-body fairing at the trailing edge, which should more closely resemble that of the -720, i.e. more curved.  That's a minor issue though.

• Like 1

Progress is ongoing on the twin 707/720 build. Up to now it's been an continual process of filling/sanding/primering and repeating over and over. Gradually getting there.

As expected, the various probes on the 707 were snapped off during all this fairly rough handling so they have been replaced by metal pins.

I am now constantly stabbing myself.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, David H said:

What someone needs to come up with is either a metal-reinforced resin, or lost-wax, cast brass integrated tail fin cap/HF antenna for 707 kits.

Agreed. The HF antenna is never very well portrayed on these kits.

• Like 1

HF is a very useful long-range communication means, but it's subject to all sorts of background noise.  On aircraft, it's amplitude modulated, which means naturally occurring sources of RF, like sun spots, will affect the noise levels.  

Yes - I used to listen to HF aircraft radio back in the 1970s, You could pick up some quite unusual aircraft VERY far away (flying down over Central Africa, for instance). The reception was terrible with lots of fading and static - but it made it all sound very exotic.

Interestingly, when United bought their 720s, they did not require HF so their 720s lacked the famous fin "spike". The "Ceaser's Chariot" 720 was an ex United aircraft so did not have the spike. However, because it was being used on longer routes by pop groups - and flying overseas - it was fitted with the long wire type HF aerials which run from behind the cockpit up to the tail fin.

• Like 1

I have this old John Hinde postcard in my collection which shows an Aerlinte 720 at Dublin around 1964. It's in the later colour scheme adopted around 1964 but it's always been a favourite airliner image of mine. I've had it in my collection since around 1974.

spacer.png

I am making progress. After weeks of filing, sanding and priming I've got to the point where the main colours can now be applied. I've got the top white coat on each model now and I've also painted the engines intakes on the 720 yellow as I will be placing engine covers in intakes as per the postcard shown above.

spacer.png

DSCF3152.jpg

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The 707 is progressing. The thing about airliner models is that you just can't hurry them. They are just endless rounds of filling, sanding, priming, sanding, priming again, masking, painting, more masking, more painting etc etc etc.

But I am really enjoying my foray into classic 144 airliners and classic kits and will definitely plug on to get these builds finished - barring any catastrophes.

Here is where the 707 is at right now. The white has been applied and masked off. The wings and tailplanes have been painted a medium grey which will be the basis for the different shades on the wings./ From what I can see, early 707s and 720s were before the more modern "corruguard" started being used.

The 707 is slightly ahead of the 720 at the moment.

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Still plugging away on the BOAC 707. Last night I removed all the masking - always a bit of a traumatic moment when dealing with airliners. On the whole, it turned out not too bad. There are some areas that will need touching up and respraying a bit but I'm fairly happy with the result.

spacer.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nice!  It's really looking good.  What metal are you using?

Valejo acrylic. The choice was between Valejo and Alclad but I went with Valejo as it is a bit tougher and less prone to damage through handling.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Excellent choice of Vallejo.  It's less toxic, too.  

Tell your little pilots to keep this 707 well clear of Mount Fuji, BTW!  

Good advice. My 707's wings are well and truly glued on.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Great job sir!!!

I remember very well the Air Malta 720Bs in the 80s, roaring day and night. They didn't have APU so every time they needed the external starter unit, even noisier!

Those were times! I still feel the strong smell of kerosene, dense smoke, noise, shiny heavy metal wings and jets and the heat released by those engines once the aircraft turns out of stand!

Todays liners, in contrast, appear made of plastic and candies!🥱

I like a lot your metal job, looking forward for new updates! I also have the Roden kit, so, I learn from you!😀

• Like 1