-COMPLETED- Bronco 1/35 Panzer III Ausf. A in Poland

Ned

Hey! I'm back!

I've had a couple of rotten work weeks, made all the worse by lockdown and essentially having folk ring me up at home all day just to shout at me. I'm afraid that I took it out on my poor old Panzer, and crushed one of the tracks into pieces in frustration. Oops,

I've stolen the tracks from a Miniart Ausf.B that was in my stash, so will try to get on with that when I feel a bit more calm. No other progress to report, other than a definite decision to seal up the hatches and forget about the turret interior.

I almost gave up and started something else (with wheels!) but I have resisted and will finish this damn thing - I even considered just gluing it all together one afternoon and sticking the decals on like I did 40+ years ago.

Onwards and upwards.

• Thanks 1

Hi Ned. Glad to see you back, but sorry your rough patch seems to be going on a bit!! Hopefully you'll manage to get on with it again soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back in the mood, it has been quite a while. I've got on with it today and have finished one MiniArt track. What a welcome sight this is:

Vsb6wGTQwaN2YxHePquEsmSRj7a2q7de9JuZFbbE

It is fair to say that I'm not a fan of working track links! It's going to be Bronco on one side, MiniArt on the other. The MiniArt side will look better than the Bronco one, but it has taken 4x the effort to make.

I'm off for a run now to calm down, and then I'll have a look at what the rest of you have got up to.

• Like 7

Hi Ned. Great to see you are back onto this.....even if it has caused some stess!! Hope the run has the desired effect.

Kind regards,

Stix

Here's a quick peek at the turret interior detail that I'm about to lock away, never to be seen again. A bit of a shame, but I'd never have got it finished in time. Plus I'll be able to do a much better job of putting the turret together now that I can just glue the top and base together and then fit the gun and front plate afterwards (can't do it that way if you want to keep the MGs and gun in one piece). The base and top aren't a good fit, it would've resulted in broken off bits and plenty of swearing trying to fit it all together without gaps.

70uFE6Y-PsV0jM6JguLh80Cqgup4s0VOJXToEfCQ

The hull is done bar a headlight that the carpet monster finally returned to me this morning after a fruitless search last night (hooray!). Another day on the turret and then I can finally get some paint on it.

• Like 5

Hi Ned. Excellent work on the interior despite the fact it's never going to be seen again! And I'm pleased the headlight turned up! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Yayy! Ready for paint. Can you see what it is yet?

lkl8uPqVqGLbik-_dMtx3PydvM_Yw2G1cUddUGDo

So glad I sealed up the turret hatches. I don't think I've ever managed to complete a model with any interior detail.

• Like 7

Time for some paint :)

The kit is a very pale coloured plastic, so getting a good dark all-over base has taken a few goes. I've used NATO black before, but thought that I'd use up some Vallejo dunkelgrau which is a very dark grey/black, much darker than it looks here, too close to black to use as a final colour I think (I painted a Panzer II this colour, and my 14 year old son said it looked badass, so I know that it's too dark!)

I'm trying out Mig Night Blue Grey over the top, I've only put it on the wheels and hull bottom so far, but it's gone on beautifully, I'm already a fan. Plus it has a really evocative smell - primary school and poster paints :)

Really happy today, that first splash of paint makes such a difference.

Yurwj8KGMBFr4_UmpoJUBjtHLQ7-iI393HcLo3sp

• Like 6

Well now, I was going to upload a new photo after the Mig Night Blue Grey went on, but it looks exactly the same as the picture I posted yesterday, even though it's actually a completely different shade. Camera/screen reproduction of colours can be so off sometimes. The mig paint has gone on a bit too well if anything, nothing of the darker undercoat showing through, it's just a solid matt finish all over. I'll let it dry fully and try a bit of shading/lightening with my airbrush, not something I've really tried before. I think I'll paint the rubber on the wheels and rollers before I channel my inner Nightshift.

I'll be badgering you guys for advice on filters and washes soon. It's almost time to start slapping some of this on...

33FMl91onqwaHJrzT4T2uU8uocp_mwMKpet7I_Yk

• Like 2

I've done a bit of shading and I'm quite pleased, it has put a bit of life into it.

I'm at a stage now that I'm dreading - gloss varnish - because every model I've built so far has gone wrong at this point.

I'll be using W+N Galleria gloss as it's been recommended to me by someone here (Rob?) after a few failures with Vallejo.

Any hints/tips welcome:

How long do I need to leave it before varnishing over acrylics?

Can I use it straight from the bottle?

One good coat or a few thin ones?

High pressure and a good distance, or low pressure and close up?

I'll be doing just the bottom and lower hull first.

Hi Ned. I was a bit concerned that you find your gloss varnish tends to cause you problems. Can I just check - why are you applying the gloss varnish - especially if it causes you problems? Are you applying it all over? Is it for the decals? I must admit I only apply gloss varnish on aircraft builds as the decals for those tend to be larger - there's more of them compared to most tanks - and there's more chance, on the individual decals, of areas of the clear carrier film being difficult to remove. Regarding the latter - wherever I can, I use a scalpel blade to cut away all the clear areas of carrier film right back to the design. It's harder round curved designs - and takes a lot of patience at times - but the result is very minimal silvering.

I actually apply all my AFV decals onto the matt acrylic paints that I have brush painted - usually with very few problems. I sometimes get the odd air bubble - but I just wait for the decal to dry reasonably well, pop the bubble in the decal with the point of a knife - and, at this stage, use a tiny amount of Humbrol Decalfix - applied directly to the area with a fine pointed brush - give it a few seconds and then press it down into place with a some kitchen roll paper. It usually does the trick. I also use more Decalfix if the decal is having to go over or into surface detail. Finally I brush over the decals, once they are dry, with thinned Humbrol Matt varnish - blending the varnish into my previous paintwork. If the decal is on one specific panel - I will only varnish that one panel - not the whole area/model.

If you are glossing everything because of the way you do your weathering - have you tried doing the weathering on the matt surface? I do all my weathering onto the matt surfaces - even on aircraft. I do a fair amount of the actual weathering on aircraft before applying the decals - unless there is some specific weathering that needs to go over the decals - exhaust staining, etc. Again it may be that I can do the weathering over matt paintwork because I mostly use acrylic paints for the weathering. Mud products tend to be the only thing I use on AFV builds that are not paint - but the stuff I mostly use is Vallejo's acrlic muds and they are okay on the matt surfaces.

If all the above isn't helpful then I hope the gloss varnish works better this time!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 16/04/2021 at 15:07, PlaStix said:

Hi Ned. I was a bit concerned that you find your gloss varnish tends to cause you problems. Can I just check - why are you applying the gloss varnish - especially if it causes you problems? Are you applying it all over? Is it for the decals? I must admit I only apply gloss varnish on aircraft builds as the decals for those tend to be larger - there's more of them compared to most tanks - and there's more chance, on the individual decals, of areas of the clear carrier film being difficult to remove. Regarding the latter - wherever I can, I use a scalpel blade to cut away all the clear areas of carrier film right back to the design. It's harder round curved designs - and takes a lot of patience at times - but the result is very minimal silvering.

I actually apply all my AFV decals onto the matt acrylic paints that I have brush painted - usually with very few problems. I sometimes get the odd air bubble - but I just wait for the decal to dry reasonably well, pop the bubble in the decal with the point of a knife - and, at this stage, use a tiny amount of Humbrol Decalfix - applied directly to the area with a fine pointed brush - give it a few seconds and then press it down into place with a some kitchen roll paper. It usually does the trick. I also use more Decalfix if the decal is having to go over or into surface detail. Finally I brush over the decals, once they are dry, with thinned Humbrol Matt varnish - blending the varnish into my previous paintwork. If the decal is on one specific panel - I will only varnish that one panel - not the whole area/model.

If you are glossing everything because of the way you do your weathering - have you tried doing the weathering on the matt surface? I do all my weathering onto the matt surfaces - even on aircraft. I do a fair amount of the actual weathering on aircraft before applying the decals - unless there is some specific weathering that needs to go over the decals - exhaust staining, etc. Again it may be that I can do the weathering over matt paintwork because I mostly use acrylic paints for the weathering. Mud products tend to be the only thing I use on AFV builds that are not paint - but the stuff I mostly use is Vallejo's acrlic muds and they are okay on the matt surfaces.

If all the above isn't helpful then I hope the gloss varnish works better this time!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, I missed this reply, I've been busy all weekend doing tedious stuff like gardening and cooking. "Why do I gloss?" is something I was asking myself, because it scares the *&^% out of me, and I'm only really doing it because it's what they all do on YouTube. I've tried it again on this model and it's just another big failure (not a big deal because it was only a test on the hull bottom) and that's the fourth time in a row that it hasn't worked.

I think I just need someone to see what I'm doing and tell me what it is that I'm doing wrong, because doing it by trial and error is a bit soul destroying. I think I've worked out that I'm a) not putting enough on, b) using too much pressure so it's going on too dry, c) not thinning it enough. d) I don't have anything for measuring out quantities and getting repeatable results. I've had a go on an old Panzer II and got it a bit better, but I'm still not happy enough to risk it on a model that I've spent weeks building, it's still a bit orange peel rather than a perfect glossy surface.

I think I'll just not bother. I've never got as far as a matt coat at the end (because I never get to that point!), is it easier to handle than gloss?

I've got no real interest in bigger tanks, but think I'll buy a cheap old decent sized kit that I can put together quickly (that Tamiya Panther springs to mind) and work on that until I'm happy with the results.

No other progress to report - I'll get on with weathering up the springs and putting the running gear together. I'm aware that time is ticking on...

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 18:42, Ned said:

Hi Stix, I missed this reply, I've been busy all weekend doing tedious stuff like gardening and cooking. "Why do I gloss?" is something I was asking myself, because it scares the *&^% out of me, and I'm only really doing it because it's what they all do on YouTube. I've tried it again on this model and it's just another big failure (not a big deal because it was only a test on the hull bottom) and that's the fourth time in a row that it hasn't worked.

I think I just need someone to see what I'm doing and tell me what it is that I'm doing wrong, because doing it by trial and error is a bit soul destroying. I think I've worked out that I'm a) not putting enough on, b) using too much pressure so it's going on too dry, c) not thinning it enough. d) I don't have anything for measuring out quantities and getting repeatable results. I've had a go on an old Panzer II and got it a bit better, but I'm still not happy enough to risk it on a model that I've spent weeks building, it's still a bit orange peel rather than a perfect glossy surface.

I think I'll just not bother. I've never got as far as a matt coat at the end (because I never get to that point!), is it easier to handle than gloss?

I've got no real interest in bigger tanks, but think I'll buy a cheap old decent sized kit that I can put together quickly (that Tamiya Panther springs to mind) and work on that until I'm happy with the results.

No other progress to report - I'll get on with weathering up the springs and putting the running gear together. I'm aware that time is ticking on...

Hi Ned. I hope you have been able to to sort out what you are going to to do. Again, I would ask what you are actually gloss varnishing for? If it's only because it's what you have seen other modellers do, then I'm not sure it's worth it. If it's to protect the paint surface because you are going to use some washes or weathering products that may attack it then it'll be worth getting used to gloss varnishing in a suitable way. Same if it helps with the decals. Me, I very rarely gloss varnish tanks.

Kind regards,

Stix

Love this project. A pzIIIA isn't the usual stuff. So I love it.
Little side note: Very dark is very true when talking dunkelgrau. Don't overdo the lighting. You might tone it down with dustcover and mud.... Just a thought.
I think these were with brown camo during Fall Weiss..

Edited by Steben

20 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ned. I hope you have been able to to sort out what you are going to to do. Again, I would ask what you are actually gloss varnishing for? If it's only because it's what you have seen other modellers do, then I'm not sure it's worth it. If it's to protect the paint surface because you are going to use some washes or weathering products that may attack it then it'll be worth getting used to gloss varnishing in a suitable way. Same if it helps with the decals. Me, I very rarely gloss varnish tanks.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey Stix. I have given up on the gloss idea for now. I've been working on the lower hull and suspension because I want to make it stand out a bit - coil springs on a Panzer? I've also had an attempt at chipping with a bit of sponge but it looks dreadful so I'll be covering it up with some dusty weathering. I've ordered some washes and pigments so waiting for them to arrive now. 

Desperate now to get the running gear and tracks on.

Tamiya Panther also on it's way, soon to become my glossing testbed...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steben said:

Love this project. A pzIIIA isn't the usual stuff. So I love it.
Little side note: Very dark is very true when talking dunkelgrau. Don't overdo the lighting. You might tone it down with dustcover and mud.... Just a thought.
I think these were with brown camo during Fall Weiss..

Yes, I think the colour that I'm using is far too blue, but it does at least resemble the box art. I'll go for another colour in future. It seems to be all about the lighting, looking at other models on my shelf in daylight, they look "right", but then in the evening when I do most of my modelling by artificial light it seems way too dark, almost black.

I do like that early grey/brown scheme, but the picture that I'm basing mine on has been interpreted as all grey by Osprey and Bronco.

A quick progress picture before I go out for a run. The suspension and lower hull has been weathered on one side, and the wheels are now on with a cardboard jig holding them straight while the glue dries. The track will go on this afternoon, and then I'll repeat on the other side. More pictures later. And yes, I forgot to weather underneath the track guards, but I don't care ;)

_wILFgv79kuOHxMeTP-_zImk1vo1Rr54Ubil1fnM

• Like 4

Tracks on, decals on, tool colours blocked in. Looks like a tank!

The 223 decals are a bit bad because the a digit is bang on top of the hatch hinges. I'm sure the originals wouldn't have been in such an inconsiderate place. It looks like I've got some covering up to do.

The white Balkenkreuz will get muddied-up to stop it being a nice target.

I'm trying to hit the original GB target of this weekend, but might slip a bit depending on work.

I'm not sure what to do with the wooden jack blocks. What's the current fashion for them? Tank colour or wood or a blackened tarry railway sleeper finish? Think I'll go for a chocolatey brown with some black stains. Too reddish brown currently, that's for sure.

ydqEAG4ssyDC0vNvNqwCnZQBL6x2-JpMyGJpMsRv

FW7vpvBGF24ZAMH3nay6wXPxmQlUw5N8NQl4Jhp2

• Like 5

Hi Ned. Excellent progress and it's all looking rather splendid! With regards the wooden jack block - this same question was raised a while back, in the chat section, and @JackG gave this response:

Kind regards,

Stix

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ned. Excellent progress and it's all looking rather splendid! With regards the wooden jack block - this same question was raised a while back, in the chat section, and @JackG gave this response:

Kind regards,

Stix

This "nobody knows" thing always makes me smile, because me know so little about mundane things such as this and can only really guess. Nobody thought to photograph or document these things at the time. I am lucky? enough to own an almost 50-year-old Land Rover, and I'm basing most of my ideas on weathering on how it looks after spending 30 years as a working vehicle on a farm (guessing that it's roughly equal to a few years on the front line). After a few Land Rover gearbox changes (and VW engine swaps before that) the rough-hewn blocks of wood that I use are use dark brown/black, with a sort of Jaffa-cake orange at the sawn ends, so I'll go for that. I think that jack blocks would've been processed like railway sleepers, and had a coat of creosote applied.

Anyway, I've added some rusty nooks and crannies tonight that I'll top-up tomorrow with a brighter orange. Liking it a lot so far, this is the first model I've built that hasn't just had a vague scrub with a bit of brown colour as "weathering", 

Ma frens', I had a go at some Nightshift chipping, but it has ended up more like shading. No bad thing, I quite like the variation that it has resulted in. My Panzer I and Panzer II look rubbish now in comparison, what to do?? :)

• Like 1

Very nice Ned, I use some black wash on the wood block for an each way bet.

Ray

• Like 1

I'm officially calling this --COMPLETED-- now after a final touch of black around the gun muzzle.

It's been a bit of struggle at times, but I'm really happy with how it looks. I was after a weary workhorse at the end of it's active life as all Ausf.A were retired after the Polish campaign. Art imitated life when the wheels kept falling off :)

The too-blue colour toned down really well with a bit of rust and grime.

Most of the dust pigment has worn off, so I'll redo a bit of that before I finally stick some matt varnish on it. I haven't done that yet because I want to practise with it first after a few fails with gloss.

There we go, my first GB over and done with just a couple of days before I start my second...

Cheers PlaStix and everyone else taking part!

qfCmMrW9LmbPanSIjSnF5iGTBPM1fdtQRdEMojJA

• Like 8