Anyone have a good mix using Tamiya paints to do P.R.U. Blue ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello anyone.. Looking for a mix to do PRU Blue or New Zealand Blue Sea Grey ? They're supposedly similar in color. I know that USN Non spec blue is supposed to be close but looks a bit to grey for me. The color in my minds eye for should gravitate towards blue ever so slightly purple. I know the description seems weird but thats what I see when I see PRU Blue.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I've used this mix in the past for PRU Blue, and it looks good to me:

XF-18:4 + XF-19:1

I don't know that it would have the purple tint for you, but maybe it would make a good starting point? Hopefully someone will come up with something closer for you.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Here are some Tamiya RAF mixes:

British colors
Silver Grey – XF16:1 + XF2:1
Azure Blue – X16:2 + XF2:10 + XF18:5
PRU Blue – XF18:1 + X14:2 + XF2:2
PRU Pink – XF9:1 + XF7:1 + XF2:9
Middlestone –XF59:1 + XF60:1
Sky – XF21
Interior Green – XF71
Dark Green – XF81
Dark Earth – XF52
Ocean Grey – XF82
Light Sea Grey – XF83

Chris

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone.. this is my first set of results from all the mixes Ive found online.  @dogsbody the mix you found is the 3rd from left top row. And @John Laidlaw yours is first on right top row s1rkaj1.jpg

The center and right lower row are variations on John’s mix and the others are variations on Chris’s mix. The closest I think too P.R.U. Blue is the 2nd from left top row. 

Anyone have any ideas or opinions ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Morning everyone... Well I tried some more mixes and kept getting to much grey ? So I went waaaay out in left field and tried a homemade mix. The mix is X-14x4, XF-7x2, XF-8x2, & XF-2x1. All Tamiya colors. dP8rbuB.jpg
Seeing as its going to be sprayed with USAAF army olive, I placed it on the wing of my Recent P-40 build and by George I think Ive got it. Oh and by the way, the original mixes I tried compare pretty close to Dark Aggressor blue using this mix of XF-18x2, X-14x4,XF-2x4, & XF-7x2. Medium Aggressor blue from a mix of XF-18x2,X-14x4, & XF-2x4. I started looking at paint chips online and those two mixes compare very closely if anyone is interested. Maybe all my experimentation will help someone else. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Here's a couple you might try.  I came up with these a few years ago in an attempt to match the PRU Blue chip in British Aviation Colours of World War Two.  Both are made using Tamiya Acrylic colors.  I apologize for the differing measurements, but these were composed on widely separated dates.

PRU Blue - Mix #1:

30 drops  XF 18 Medium Blue

20 drops XF 23 Light Blue

2 drops XF 5 Green

2 drops XF 8 Blue

PRU Blue - Mix #2:

3cc's XF 18 Medium Blue

2 cc's XF 23 Light Blue

2 drops X 23 Clear Blue

The second mix matches the chip more closely than the first.  Being matched to the full-scale color, both could benefit from the addition of a couple of drops of white for painting a model.  If I can figure out where to park a photo to link to, I'll upload an image of sample swatches of both alongside the chip in the RAF Museum book.

• Thanks 1