28 Sqn Westland Wapiti (1/48) scratch 'n' print

hendie

What a great journey thank you so much for sharing and explaining all the processes along the way. You and Tony have shown what's possible in multiple scales!

Your Wapiti is a real stunner and a great addition to your collection.

Looking forward to your next adventure now

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 1

I say.

Well actually I don't, I do not know words expressive enough to say.

I say...

Utterly fabulous modelling with splendiferous technological breakthoughs.

Simply genius, the man's a menace.

Now look at how many Bmers are contemplating stepping over to the dark side of that great divide, hundreds of us.

Thank you for the fish ride Alan, it's been amazing.  👍

• Like 2

This is masterful modelling.

Thanks for sharing your methods, some in great detail. I particularly appreciate the documented rigging process, which will inform my upcoming attempt.

Congratulations on a superb result, Hendie.

• Like 1

Looks fantastic! The gun probably did spend a lot of time firing downwards when it was fielded in the Middle East.

(And it’s a perfect reference for when I hack about my FROG PV6/Wallace next year. Yes, I have no shame…)

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

Stunning Alan, absolutely gorgeous.

Yes, I did say biplanes are fun. I meant it. I stand by my comment. You loved rigging it really, didn't you? More importantly, just look at it now it's all done - so worth the effort! 

And there's the added bonus of everyone doffing their hats 'cos they think rigging's difficult. Now you know better!

Ian

• Haha 2

I do like that prop, even though you have apparently succumbed to the "prop must rotate" school of thought.

I love your proposal that there are schools of thought regarding the treatment of propellers on model aircraft... animate, inanimate and metaphorical (blurred blade discs fashioned from translucent placcy). Precisionism, Surrealism and Post-Impressionism? I'm of the first persuasion; I still love to give it a good blow and watch it spin while uttering brum brum noises. This whole business is as arcane as collar up and collar down in cricket.

• Haha 4

On 12/15/2021 at 2:30 AM, wellsprop said:

@hendiewould you consider selling these as a kit? 

Possibly, wellsprop. It would depend on several factors. One being the amount of interest. There would have to be several modifications before it was ready for public consumption.  I wasn't overly pleased with some aspects of the wings - they weren't perfect but was acceptable for my purposes, though even then I had a large reject rate before I had some that were good enough. It would not be a cheap kit, as you are well aware, while the printing part is easy there can be a lot of setup involved.   I'd need to go back to the beginning and revisit every part configuration. Printing something for my own use vs printing for others expectations can be a bit different.  

It's something I would certainly consider though.

• 6 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 8:38 PM, perdu said:

Shall I see if I have been able to save one?

OK

Wapiti-in-India1.png

Looking at this it isnt quite the same after all, different marks?

And definitely no engine of the museum bird, she will never fly again.

Capture8.png

I think the oil cooler sits behind that empty space after the metal shield I have been looking at.

But the radius of the lowest curves at the front seems to be a bigger circle

All good clean fun.

I got a couple more all courtesy of Andrew Shaw on Flickr

wopti4.png

They clearly show that there is much wrong and or missing from the museum example but I hope they do help

wopti5.png

The one above clearly shows I must be wrong but from other angles...

wopti6.png

The rigging of the wings is awful and frankly shows an airframe in desperate need of love and skilful rigging

I am not too disappointed though, looking at the cross section on Alan's drawing there is a definite curve at point B and the museum's lower front panel has  the look of something knocked up by a rigger with a hole to fill.

Probably after the engine and its gubbinses were ripped out at end of service.

wopti3.png

out.

This Wapiti (unidentified) was put together in early 1965 from the scrap yard with original basic structure and cockpit except the instruments.  The forward fuselage is dubious in shape and covering which is aluminium plate.  The wing roots have cracked and have been plate welded over the years and hence the sag.  Impressed by your build we are commencing a year's rebuild to near-original.  the scarf ring will be wood and metal while the original Lewis guns are available.  The ammunition chute that feeds the side mounted Lewis from inside the cockpit is original.  We are desperately sourcing accurate plans while a maintenance manual has been found.  May i request for some help in this regard.  We intend to use a modified Harvard's nine cylinder R1340 Wasp or fabricate a lighter Jupiter from wood (Oh dear!!).  We have quite a detailed model Jupiter from Rolls Royce for reference.  Any plans etc would be helpful!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Just now, Linescriber said:

This Wapiti (unidentified) was put together in early 1965 from the scrap yard with original basic structure and cockpit except the instruments.  The forward fuselage is dubious in shape and covering which is aluminium plate.  The wing roots have cracked and have been plate welded over the years and hence the sag.  Impressed by your build we are commencing a year's rebuild to near-original.  the scarf ring will be wood and metal while the original Lewis guns are available.  The ammunition chute that feeds the side mounted Lewis from inside the cockpit is original.  We are desperately sourcing accurate plans while a maintenance manual has been found.  May i request for some help in this regard.  We intend to use a modified Harvard's nine cylinder R1340 Wasp or fabricate a lighter Jupiter from wood (Oh dear!!).  We have quite a detailed model Jupiter from Rolls Royce for reference.  Any plans etc would be helpful!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sorry for my manners!! The model by the way is Magnificent!!  A worthy reflection of the massive amount of hard work put in!!

• Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 11:23 AM, Linescriber said:

Impressed by your build we are commencing a year's rebuild to near-original. 

That is great news. It would be good to see one of these aircraft preserved especially after all these years, and even better to see that particular example being restored from it's current state

On 6/27/2022 at 11:23 AM, Linescriber said:

We are desperately sourcing accurate plans while a maintenance manual has been found.  May i request for some help in this regard.  We intend to use a modified Harvard's nine cylinder R1340 Wasp or fabricate a lighter Jupiter from wood (Oh dear!!).  We have quite a detailed model Jupiter from Rolls Royce for reference.  Any plans etc would be helpful!!

I'd be glad to help in any way I can though I am not sure I can provide any detail more than you have already.  My build was created from that one set of plans shown in this thread along with cross reference to as many shots of Wapiti's as I could find.

If there is anything you think I can help with, feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to assist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hendie said:

That is great news. It would be good to see one of these aircraft preserved especially after all these years, and even better to see that particular example being restored from it's current state

I'd be glad to help in any way I can though I am not sure I can provide any detail more than you have already.  My build was created from that one set of plans shown in this thread along with cross reference to as many shots of Wapiti's as I could find.

If there is anything you think I can help with, feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to assist.

Thanx much Hendie, that is really a magnificent model!!  I shall get in touch.

• Like 1