28 Sqn Westland Wapiti (1/48) scratch 'n' print

hendie

S'true.

Alan do you think the warping might be minimised or stopped if you pushed a couple of holes through from the ends?

I'm wondering if having to form through the resin might draw the shapes back inline.

Asking fo..asking because I wish I could get my cabbage round all this genius level modelling.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, ElectricLightAndy said:

Is there any progress on this one? Absolutely gripping stuff... and you've left us on a cliffhanger 😬

Andy.

I was looking at it just yesterday.  I'm in the process of finishing off the whirlwind and entering the home straights with that one.

I shall hopefully be dusting off this one in a week or two

4 hours ago, perdu said:

IS A VERY GOOD QUESTION...

Oh that's easy for you to say Bill. 😉

(Wrong smiley but it takes so long to pick one on a cell phone I ain't changing it)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 9/3/2021 at 2:03 AM, ElectricLightAndy said:

Is there any progress on this one? Absolutely gripping stuff... and you've left us on a cliffhanger 😬

Andy.

A little, but a huge step forward.

The build sort of stalled when I hit problems trying to print the upper wing center section.  I must have printed half a dozen and each one had issues with the wing profile.  Here's three samples and you can see that the cross section at the wing joint is just not up to scratch. It's all over the place.

P9100018.jpg

Now here's my latest print that I ran off this week. On the left we have the upper wing outer section, and on the right we have the upper wing center section.  I'm very happy with how this has turned out now.  It was all down to print orientation.  Previously I had always tried printing the wing from the leading edge rearwards, and changing the upright angle to try and get it to print better.  The reason I did it that way is because I wanted to avoid having to sand/file the wing joints if at all possible.  As you are all probably well aware, it is very difficult to file a perfectly flat edge especially perpendicular to a given surface.  In the end I decided to print the wing section from port to starboard instead of leading edge to trailing edge.  That was what made all the difference.

P9100019.jpg

After filing - I made up a fixture to help keep the file straight and perpendicular, and this is the resultant joint.  Not perfect, but I'll be joining the wings using Tony's recommended Light Saber and Goo method so I think it will turn good in the end.

P9100020.jpg

This is the full upper wing just dry fitted, but the dihedral is there and I don't think it will take much work to knock that into shape. I lost some of the location holes for things like the struts etc. due to the print orientation, but there's enough of a mark for me to see the positions clearly so I'll just manually drill those later.

I have been fretting over this issue for months so really glad I finally have it resolved, as without wings it wasn't going to be much of a Wapiti.

P9100021.jpg

Now here's something interesting.  This is a test section of wing I printed way back at the beginning - note how the thin section have started cracking.

It should be no surprise really as I had never actually cured this part with UV, so over all those months it's been continuously drying out until it reached the point where the material started breaking itself up.

P9100022.jpg

When I was actively working on this build I purposely did not cure the parts as I wanted the fuselage complete before I hit it with UV's to avoid any fit problems with shrinkage/warping of the separate components. I can see a little bit of shrinkage going on so...

P9100023.jpg

I think I may reprint these when I'm ready and get them assembled and cured in a reasonable timeframe instead of leaving them for months.  It won't take long to catch back up to where I left off, and now that I have the wing profile issues resolved I feel a renewed enthusiasm for this build, so I think this may be next on the agenda after the Whirlwind.

• Like 15

Evening all.  Autumn may be approaching but it's still bloomin hot here. On the bright side though, I have passed a major hurdle in this build and the light can be seen at the end of the tunnel even if it's a bit dim at this early stage.

The time is fast approaching to start some of yer actual assembly type stuff on this build so, taking Tony's advice, in preparation for the ritual sticking of bits, I went ahead and ordered a lightsaber 

P9180010.jpg

Now being a bit new to this sci-fi gadgetry I thought it only prudent to go ahead and try the technology on some spare parts - of which I have plenty.

Looks like I went a bit heavy on the lightsaber and we have a bit of singeing going on. Okay, I can dial that back a bit.

P9180009.jpg

Even though I cooked it way too long, it works and I appear to have a good solid joint.

P9180008.jpg

If you've been paying attention, or have a remarkably long memory you shall recall that it was the upper wing that was fighting back like nobody's business and giving me all the hassle.  This time it was the turn of the lower wing. Rejoiceth at the law of Sod.

I printed the lower wing center section in two orientations. I had found that when I printed the wing with the leading edge facing downwards, that the wing ends warped upwards slightly. I also printed the section with the leading edge vertical.

Printing the upper wing center section in the vertical orientation had given me success after many failed attempts so I thought it may be a good bet for the lower wing. Nope!

On both prints, the end of the wing section had a bend - you can see the gap between the white straight edge and the wing here.  It was a bit of a surprise because that is the end nearest the build plate and that end section is parallel to the build plate and the first section of wing should print vertically until it hits the fuselage and then take a 6 degree cant as the wing grows out of the fuselage.  I don't have a good reason for this yet.

Luckily, the two wing sections I had printed on the other orientation came out fine.  To prevent the warping, I added a small rib along the leading edge, and at the outer end I placed three heavy duty supports very close together so they printed as oen large support, thus anchoring it to the build plate.  That worked.  Bottom right - you can see the rib along the port wing, and I have already removed most of the rib from the starboard wing.

P9180013.jpg

Anyways, time to test the lightsaber in anger.  I have to admit to being filled with a certain degree of trepidation as I painted some resin on the join and put the wing together. This time I went much faster with the saber and avoided making charcoal at the seam.

Both sides done - and feeling mighty good with myself.  Tony - I owe you an immense thank you for coming up with that idea of 'gluing' parts together with the UV resin.  Wonderful!

I even managed to keep the dihedral.

P9180011.jpg

All I need to do now is to start sorting through my box of Wapiti bits and figure out what to use and what to reprint.  I think there should be a full Wapiti hiding in there somewhere.

P9180012.jpg

After that little exciting diversion, it was back to business - I grabbed all new internals and had them painted up and got the second wing glued, all ready to be assembled when the paint dries.

P9180015.jpg

Before I closed up shop for the evening I threw some primer on the wings joints to see how much clean up I'm going to have in front of me.  Some seams are reasonable and others will take a bit of effort, but nothing unmanageable.

P9180016.jpg

After this shot was taken, I did some remedial work on the seams and was surprised at just how easy it was. Once again the resin and saber were brought into play, this time as a filler, and sanding sticks (must get more) made the job about as easy as it could be.

I may even get this thing finished before the year is out. No promises though.

• Like 17

Having just caught up on this whole thread, I'm struggling to string a sentence together that best describes what I'm seeing. It's all rather magnificent really. If I could one day master this technology I'd be a very happy bunny!

Terry

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I spy a Scout sneaking up on a Wapiti.  One shudders to think of the progeny....

It’s still blue so it’s still a Wasp.  The fact that Hendie is going to do unspeakable things to it and turn it into a Scout is just something he’s going to have to place before his conscience.  I mean, painting it green; the horror!

• Haha 8

Wonderful to see this one back on the bench Alan.

This 3d printing lark certainly throws out more than it's fair share of curve balls, but as you say, trial and error, along with a little creative thinking, usually sorts it!

Ian

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hendie said:

Looks like I went a bit heavy on the lightsaber and we have a bit of singeing going on. Okay, I can dial that back a bit.

Blimey! You appear to have bought some kind of anti-satellite weapon... :rofl:

20 hours ago, hendie said:

Luckily, the two wing sections I had printed on the other orientation came out fine.  To prevent the warping, I added a small rib along the leading edge, and at the outer end I placed three heavy duty supports very close together so they printed as oen large support, thus anchoring it to the build plate. 

Lovely work. It's amazing how much of this process still relies upon human eye and instinct on a case-by-case basis isn't it? Bespoke tailoring of the skies no less...

20 hours ago, hendie said:

Tony - I owe you an immense thank you for coming up with that idea of 'gluing' parts together with the UV resin.  Wonderful!

Dear heart, it's little enough payback for all the techniques that  you've shared over the years.  Certainly this method seems to give the strongest  bonding of printed parts when compared to standard adhesives, and ditto as a filler, as you're discovering.

Beautiful progress. 👏

• Like 3

On 9/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, perdu said:

"Cracked it time!"

I hope not Bill.  I don't want to have to do this over again anytime soon.

On 9/19/2021 at 4:06 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Wappity Woohoo! We're (okay, you're) getting there. Nice solutions to the printing woes too. Now you have a light sabre, did you use the force?

On 9/19/2021 at 5:45 AM, Terry1954 said:

Having just caught up on this whole thread, I'm struggling to string a sentence together that best describes what I'm seeing. It's all rather magnificent really. If I could one day master this technology I'd be a very happy bunny!

Terry

the terms slapdash, haphazard, and making it up as I go along immediately spring to mind Terry

On 9/19/2021 at 6:32 AM, giemme said:

Glad to see you were able to sort the wings, Alan :clap: :clap:

Ciao 

thanks Giorgio

On 9/19/2021 at 7:12 AM, Fritag said:

I spy a Scout sneaking up on a Wapiti.  One shudders to think of the progeny....

Nice wings BTW.

I wonder if he would get a badge for that?

On 9/19/2021 at 7:31 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It’s still blue so it’s still a Wasp.  The fact that Hendie is going to do unspeakable things to it and turn it into a Scout is just something he’s going to have to place before his conscience.  I mean, painting it green; the horror!

My conscience is absolutely clear Crisp.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:52 AM, Brandy said:

Wonderful to see this one back on the bench Alan.

This 3d printing lark certainly throws out more than it's fair share of curve balls, but as you say, trial and error, along with a little creative thinking, usually sorts it!

Ian

thanks Ian.  There are certainly times where it pays to sit back and try and think things through, and then try anything in desperation.

On 9/19/2021 at 2:57 PM, TheBaron said:

Blimey! You appear to have bought some kind of anti-satellite weapon... :rofl:

Lovely work. It's amazing how much of this process still relies upon human eye and instinct on a case-by-case basis isn't it? Bespoke tailoring of the skies no less...

Dear heart, it's little enough payback for all the techniques that  you've shared over the years.  Certainly this method seems to give the strongest  bonding of printed parts when compared to standard adhesives, and ditto as a filler, as you're discovering.

Beautiful progress. 👏

thanks Tony.  I'm impressed with the ease of assembly using this method. It certainly allows you all the time in the world to get things right before the light saber wreaks havoc

On 9/19/2021 at 4:48 PM, wellsprop said:

This is simply brilliant @hendie

thanks Wellsprop

Just a short midweek update.  It is midweek isn't it?  I lose track of time these days working from home.

In addition to being mega-impressed by the lightsaber and goo method, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by how easily the joints cleaned up. This was only a few minutes work with some sanding sticks.

P9190001.jpg

They are by no means perfect, but I was trying my best not to lose the subtle detailing of the rib tapes. It was impossible at times but I did my best.

P9190002.jpg

In almost no time at all I had the cockpit interior assembled (again) and stuck the lower mainplane in place.

P9190003.jpg

A little bit of work will be required on the seams but I've seen much worse on professional kits.

P9190004.jpg

More stuff was shoved down the back end in preparation for the joining ceremony.  There are a few more bits to go in there but I think I can those in from the gunners aperture later.

P9190005.jpg

Then it was joined.  Flattening the end surfaces left a small gap but once again, noting to really worry about. Note to self - remember to mask that window before primer.

P9190007.jpg

And we now have something that is almost recognizable as a Wapiti

P9190008.jpg

I really want to hit this with primer to see how those seams look, but I'm reluctant to use my current batch of alclad given the history of problems I've had with it.  I have another bottle on order, but it will likely take a week or so to arrive. Hopefully it will be from a decent batch otherwise I'm done with alclad primers. Full stop.

It's surprising how big this aircraft is  - and it's going to be much bigger once the tail surfaces and the other wing go on.

In the meantime, I guess I should now start to work out the rigging and where to drill hundreds of little holes.

• Like 16

17 hours ago, hendie said:

More stuff was shoved down the back end in preparation for the joining ceremony. 

F'nar, chortle etc (where is @CedBwhen you need him?)

There's some nice texture on those surfaces. I was reminded of a Van ship from the Anime. 

Nice filling work too. Good luck with the hundreds of little holes. You should have subcontracted to @Martian

• Haha 6