28 Sqn Westland Wapiti (1/48) scratch 'n' print

hendie

I'd say it's definitely coming along at a reasonable pace, and it's all working very nicely together as a whole too. IP looks perfectly reasonable to me!

Ian

• Like 1

My own experience of Solidworks is that most modern process run it ok but it’s very RAM hungry. I’d see if you can max out the RAM on the new laptop (if you haven’t already) it should make a difference. Also go into the options control panel and try lowering the display settings that will speed things up as well.

• Like 2

On 20/02/2021 at 20:36, hendie said:

Last night, my brain was starting to fry after the weeks work so as a diversion I started blocking out the engine

Diversion? :rofl2:

Surely you mean 'handbrake turn into oncoming traffic'....

Utter negligence on my part in not responding to the sheer quality of your recent prints Alan - those really are a compelling mix of shape and surface detailing. I'm really glad the earlier issues got sorted - we all seemed to hit a wall at the same time for some reason! 🐞 

It's really fascinating also to see a process you know performing at a different scale as well, in terms of the resolvability  of particular features (your 'diversionary' engine being a prime  example).

The increased print speed of the Mars 2 I think for me is going to require a further investment at Easter. When prototyping initial ideas, the wait time of the earlier model does rather hamper the flow of ideas (especially when free time is limited), plus, being able to have two printers running in parallel overnight would obviously condense the production of finished parts.

A teeny word of criticism? You need to start putting perforations around your images....

2021-02-27_09-28-09

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Alan are you sure about the wingtips even now?

J9842.jpg?m=1427860303

From this and all the other photos showing the tips I get/see a slightly slimmer profile than fully rounded section at the tips.

What I take from all the picture we've seen so far has been a flatter shape that reminds me of some free flight model wings which seem to reduce the tip profiles even with fuller sections elsewhere on the wings.

I wonder if it is intended to emphasise control authority at the ailerons?

Reduce actual lift outboard of  the control surfaces or something to allow greater aileron effect?

Anyway the effect seems very clearly defined on this shot.

K1397.jpg?m=1454276289

The clearly round top profile shape is reduced by flattening whatever causes it, the underside shows similar slimness.

This effect shows on all shots of Wopperty that I've seen yet, what do you think?

(Bill being clearly prepared to swallow his presumptuousness on refutation.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2021 at 2:12 AM, CedB said:

Pleased that you got the wings sorted hendie and that i/p is looking marvellous :) 

so was I Ced

at least until Bill chimed in

On 2/27/2021 at 2:14 AM, Brandy said:

I'd say it's definitely coming along at a reasonable pace, and it's all working very nicely together as a whole too. IP looks perfectly reasonable to me!

Ian

thanks Ian. slowly, slowly, build wapiti.  Isn't that what they say?

On 2/27/2021 at 4:12 AM, Marklo said:

My own experience of Solidworks is that most modern process run it ok but it’s very RAM hungry. I’d see if you can max out the RAM on the new laptop (if you haven’t already) it should make a difference. Also go into the options control panel and try lowering the display settings that will speed things up as well.

I've already adjusted everything. It's just a big model so the laptop is struggling.  I'm nearly there now with the fuselage so once I've created the master STL's I'll look at using a stripped down version in the major assembly to help speed things up

On 2/27/2021 at 6:30 AM, giemme said:

Amazing CAD detailing, Alan :worthy: :clap:

Ciao 

thanks Giorgio. There's nothing really that your average CAD monkey is not capable of.  For the uninitiated it can always appear a bit magical

On 2/28/2021 at 3:35 AM, TheBaron said:

Diversion? :rofl2:

Surely you mean 'handbrake turn into oncoming traffic'....

Utter negligence on my part in not responding to the sheer quality of your recent prints Alan - those really are a compelling mix of shape and surface detailing. I'm really glad the earlier issues got sorted - we all seemed to hit a wall at the same time for some reason! 🐞 

It's really fascinating also to see a process you know performing at a different scale as well, in terms of the resolvability  of particular features (your 'diversionary' engine being a prime  example).

The increased print speed of the Mars 2 I think for me is going to require a further investment at Easter. When prototyping initial ideas, the wait time of the earlier model does rather hamper the flow of ideas (especially when free time is limited), plus, being able to have two printers running in parallel overnight would obviously condense the production of finished parts.

A teeny word of criticism? You need to start putting perforations around your images....

<SNIP>

and there you were just a few weeks ago declaring that your current Mars did everything you need for the foreseeable future.  You'll be buying an iphone next no doubt.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:55 AM, chrislowe said:

Riveting stuff Alan, as your builds so often are. Makes me want to spend a lifetime learning cad so that I could be half as good. Alas I'd need a time machine first and I don't have time to build one of those.

Well I've been CADding since way back in the last century and I've learned more in the last few weeks than I ever thought possible. Mainly because I'm used to tooling and equipment design - this flying machine malarkey is a whole different ball game and requires an entirely different set of tools to craete than your average Forth Rail bridge

On 2/28/2021 at 9:38 AM, perdu said:

Alan are you sure about the wingtips even now?

J9842.jpg?m=1427860303

From this and all the other photos showing the tips I get/see a slightly slimmer profile than fully rounded section at the tips.

What I take from all the picture we've seen so far has been a flatter shape that reminds me of some free flight model wings which seem to reduce the tip profiles even with fuller sections elsewhere on the wings.

I wonder if it is intended to emphasise control authority at the ailerons?

Reduce actual lift outboard of  the control surfaces or something to allow greater aileron effect?

Anyway the effect seems very clearly defined on this shot.

K1397.jpg?m=1454276289

The clearly round top profile shape is reduced by flattening whatever causes it, the underside shows similar slimness.
This effect shows on all shots of Wopperty that I've seen yet, what do you think?

(Bill being clearly prepared to swallow his presumptuousness on refutation.)

Sod it Bill.  I was swithering back and forth over the last week about the wings and whether they were up to scratch or not.   I used the aerofoil sections as provided in the plans, or at least as close as I could get to them, so I'm not sure if it's the way the graphics are displaying, or I've screwed up along the way, or if the aerofoil sections just aren't correct.  In the last week I came across some Wallace photo's showing that aerofoil section - I know it's different from the wapiti but it gave me some ideas so I may end redoing the wings again from scratch.

I seem to have settled into a ritual of digital modeling through the week and yer actual hands on modeling at the weekend. I'm not sure if it's weather related as the basement can be a bit cold (mainly since I'm a tight git and don't like turning the furnaces on unless I have to). We're in that crazy season just now where it can be in around freezing one day and up to 70 degrees the next. Anyway, it's the weekend aaand it's a nice day outside so I may even get some Audaxing done later, but first... some digital bits.

I spent the first part of the week tidying up some loose ends and concentrated on getting the undercarriage angles in a state that would please Heather. I also started throwing some more interior parts together. 

This is the cockpit port wall panel. Originally I created it with all the supporting structure, but then decided that was too simple. I don't want this to be a snap together kit, so instead I created supports for the supports - the idea being that the modeler (me in this case) can cut brass rod to length and stick the rods in the appropriate location. Another idea in action from ICI hendie (or Ickie as Eric Morecambe would say have said)

Screenshot-2021-03-04-124916.png

I had a guess at the seat.  Info on the wapiti cockpit and it's constituent parts are non-existent so I just fumbled along until I had something that looked "not out of place" though I'm not yet certain of the scale. Easy enough to change later though

I updated the oxygen bottle stand as I found a better quality photo which also shows the location, at least on the Wallace so I'm betting it wasn't changed from the Wapiti

Screenshot-2021-03-04-125224.png

Come Friday afternoon I could no longer focus on work so took the afternoon as vacation and started playing with the engine again. This time adding more detail around the cylinder(s) and getting that crazy exhaust system sorted out.

Objects like the cylinder itself is very simple - just basic geometric shapes in your standard 3D X, Y, & Z planes.The transition wher th exhaust enters the cone at the front end was a bit more challenging particularly as the references don't quit agree with each other. If I go with the plans, it doesn't match the photos so I've gone with hendies version as being definitive.

Remember what I said earlier about the brain getting confused looking at a tiny object magnified on a big screen?  That cylinder is just over 3mm in diameter. Details like those bolt heads at the top end are something in the region of 0.35mm across and .15mm in length.  It will be interesting to see just how much detail prints and how well it is replicated in the resin

Screenshot-2021-03-04-184317.png

Ah, the magic of CAD.  From that screenshot above to this next screenshot is only about 6 mouse clicks

Screenshot-2021-03-05-135752.png

All the blocky lines hidden.

Screenshot-2021-03-05-135827.png

Since taking that screen shot I have adjusted the top end of the engine as those details looked too overscale.  I mentioned scale and size above - my main problem is that if I see a detail I generally try to replicate it somehow. Even though I know it's only going to be a fraction of a millimeter in print form.  If I don't do that, then to me it just doesn't look right - and that annoys the hell out of me. OCD anyone?

From behind:

Screenshot-2021-03-05-135842.png

another with a bit more detail added

Screenshot-2021-03-05-135912.png

I've made an effort to allow some push rods (wire) to be fitted from the top end but we'll wait until I do a test print before I know if this will be successful or not. 

Note: a lot of the detail on the top end of the cylinders has been updated after taking these screen shots, such as moving those two cylinders (cams) closer together as there are push rods under them which need to clear the exhaust pipes on their way to the engine block

Screenshot-2021-03-05-135937.png

That's all well and fine but how does it look in-situ?

At least I seem to have the overall scale correct. (note that I'm basing the undercarriage on the 'static load' condition)

Screenshot-2021-03-05-143518.png

and from the front - with undercarriage now fixed in the appropriate position

Screenshot-2021-03-05-143653.png

So,k there I was feeling oh so good about myself and what I had achieved with that engine and exhaust collector system then I spotted this!  

Screenshot-2021-03-06-073819.png

The bloomin' exhausts themselves.  I had never noticed that they exited the collector ring from those two bulbous carbuncles sprouting off the ring itself. Not only are there two carbuncles, but they're not symmetrical

I spent more hours than I care to report here bashing my brain back and forth to end up with this

Screenshot-2021-03-05-184016.png

... before realizing it was rubbish and then thinking of a much simpler way to achieve the final form, so that snorkel was deleted and I'll start afresh next week.

That screenshot above also provides and insight into how I see this engine being assembled. 

My plan at the moment is to have 9 individual cylinders (that allows me to get the best print orientation with the least cleanup). The Y shaped pipe at the may or may not be part of that print (undecided at the moment), and the engine block and the collector ring will be separate pieces.  All subject to test prints working out as planned of course.

Audaxing beckons me hearties

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing any of those pics Alan, nor any of those posted by Bill in the previous post.

Ian

Edit - pics now visible, and very impressive they are too! Lovely engine work!

• Like 1

Well that sounded like a well and truly righteous fight Alan

Sadly Postimg is doing THAT THING and the pictures have hidden themselves from me

Again ( I must add children that this minor disappearing act is the only occasionally bad thing about Postimg fo me)

I will pop back to see how they look, I tried restarting the BM module but no, not happening yet.

I can see mine though :surprised:

Sorry, I will say nowt next time.

I should have better manners and really wish I had said nothing back then, it bain't as if you don't have anything finer to do.

• Haha 1

Absolutely superb update Alan - so much happening in so many places on the aircraft all at once! :clap2:

5 hours ago, hendie said:

Details like those bolt heads at the top end are something in the region of 0.35mm across and .15mm in length.  It will be interesting to see just how much detail prints and how well it is replicated in the resin

I reckon they'll look damn juicy. Can't wait to see all that glorious engine detail.

*not posted from my iphone*

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Brandy said:

Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing any of those pics Alan, nor any of those posted by Bill in the previous post.

Ian

Edit - pics now visible, and very impressive they are too! Lovely engine work!

thanks Ian. more engine below

12 minutes ago, giemme said:

Ok, now I'm very much eager to see how the engine will print out! :tasty: It looks amazing so far :clap:

Ciao 

ahhh Giorgio, you made it just in time

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Well that sounded like a well and truly righteous fight Alan
Sadly Postimg is doing THAT THING and the pictures have hidden themselves from me
Again ( I must add children that this minor disappearing act is the only occasionally bad thing about Postimg fo me)

I will pop back to see how they look, I tried restarting the BM module but no, not happening yet.

I can see mine though :surprised:

Sorry, I will say nowt next time.

I should have better manners and really wish I had said nothing back then, it bain't as if you don't have anything finer to do.

no worries Bill. I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't want to. The good thing about the next attempt is that it will be a lot quicker as I know what I'm doing now (he lied to himself)

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Will you be adding pushrods to the front of the engine cylinders?

Chris

Do you mean printed or wire Chris?

22 hours ago, hendie said:

I've made an effort to allow some push rods (wire) to be fitted from the top end but we'll wait until I do a test print before I know if this will be successful or not. 

The print didn't work as intended but I may modify it and run another test print later

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Absolutely superb update Alan - so much happening in so many places on the aircraft all at once! :clap2:

I reckon they'll look damn juicy. Can't wait to see all that glorious engine detail.

*not posted from my iphone*

Then wait no longer sire. I have engines aplenty to enthrall thee with.

Yesterday turned out to be a terrible hands on modeling day.  I seem to have lost the impetus I had going with the Audax and now it's fighting me. Is it too late to say I hate biplanes?

Before I started fighting with the Audax I did canoodle with Chitubox and set the Elegoo on its way.  After downing tools in frustration with the Audax I headed off to get the messages and on my return from Aldi's the magic had happened

P3060006.jpg

As last time around, these parts are straight out of the vat with nothing more than a quick rinse in IPA and removal of the supports.

First up, the instrument panel. I was a bit worried that the control knob on the bottom right of the panel wouldn't print, but it came out successfully

P3060009.jpg

Now whether that lver will stay on with repeated handling is another matter.  

P3060010.jpg

on thing I had been wondering about was whether it would actually be visible in the finished product.  It appears that answer is yes. A bit shaded maybe, but definitely visible

P3060008.jpg

The rudder printed without issue. I think I'll pull back on the rib detail a little bit though. It looks a bit heavy for my liking and would be better suited to be more like the detail shown on the tail fin.

P3060019.jpg

How does this work for you Bill?  It's not perfect but at a push I'd say it was acceptable.

P3060021.jpg

I think this is the cause of my issues - the underside of the aerofoil.  See how it curves back upwards as it comes back from the leading edge?  I think that's what is causing the issue at the wing tip. At the wingtip the leading edge sweeps around to meet the trailing edge. It is the juncture where they meet that is the problem. Solidworks is getting confused as the two shapes meet and isn't handling the transition smoothly despite me having control sketches in place to "force" the shape.

P3060023.jpg

I think adding a transition piece out towards the wingtip where the aerofoil has a flatter underside will make a difference as to how the wingtip will work.

The undercarriage tried was successful... sort of.  The hole for the brass rod printed successfully along the entire length of the u/c leg. Unfortunately the wall thickness ended up being so thin at the narrow end that it didn't print successfully.

The good news is that the brass rod fitted nice and snugly all the way to the  axle hub.  I've been trying to keep the undercarriage legs to scale as much as possible but I think that I'm just going to have to throw caution to the wind and beef up the legs a touch. 

That brass rod is Ø 0.8 mm for reference.

P3060025.jpg

This is one of those "I wonder if this would work" ideas.  It's hard to tell from the photo but I created an aerofoil section then removed the leading edge and replaced it with a concave section.  The idea being that this could be superglued onto brass rod and be used as a strut.  One of the problems with 3D printing a biplane is that those biplane things require struts and printed struts are incredibly fragile and would be completely unmanageable. However, using a brass rod as the leading edge of a strut provides a lot more strength.

This was just a quick last minute thrown together idea just before printing but I think the idea will work.  I just need to finesse the design a touch more.

P3060026.jpg

The cockpit wall turned out fine as well.  It is a bit flimsy as it's only 0.5 mm thick so warpage may be an issue but again, the idea seems to have merit.  Gluing the rod in place will be fiddly but isn't that what modeling is all about? 

I'm using  Ø0.5 mm rod in this instance as I thought the 0.8 looked too overscale.  I also printed a handwheel and it printed fine, but I destroyed it while handling. 

P3060027.jpg

Now the bit you've all been waiting for. 

b256c8f0de09b6046d4da56efb74eb0b.jpg

That's weird. When I were a lad back in Central Scotland, Eldorado was the poor mans alternative to Buckfast. I didn't realise they'd got into the ice cream business too. I'll bet it tasted awful.

(some non Scottish viewers may need to enlist google to make sense of that).  

Enough diversion. Engines.

Okay then. Here's an engine or rather , a cylinder.

P3060015.jpg

Lemme see now.  Pleased ?  I think the expression is Hell yeah! There isn't as much separation between the cooling fins on the cylinder as I'd like, but at this scale, and for what is actually going to be visible at the end of that day, I think this is acceptable.

I need to adjust the engine block slightly as you can see that I have split the casing before the cylinder is full seated.

P3060016.jpg

The cylinders do mount to the exhaust ring though - bonus!

P3060018.jpg

For whatever reason one of the exhaust legs didn't print on this collector ring.  That could well have been my issue though as I added all the support manually so it's entirely possible I wasn't paying close enough attention to the support placement, and given that 17 out of 18 legs printed successfully, I consider that a prime contender for root cause.

P3060017.jpg

Ther.  Ah'm done noo.   Overall I'll consider that another successful print session.  A few tweaks to be made but nothing unexpected which is always good.  It's more adjustments than actual design changes 

and now back to your regularly scheduled viewing...

• Like 14

Bebeggar the scheduled viewing, let's have lots more of this kinda viewing.

Answer your question first then Alan, yes the slightly flatter upper aerofoil at the tip is far better represented now and looks like job done to the critical eye I unfortunately have to live with.

That thing in the ip, is it the compass maybe?

Although it could be a control knob, back in the days of aerial-infancy anything went didn't it.

The engine, never seen a better representation than that.

That you made it yourself on a printer is outstanding

That it will have separate cylinders to assemble is awe inspiring, now I have fusion360 I must, really must learn how it is done.

Is that the end of intermission, can we have the next instalment please?

• Like 3

That cylinder looks fantastic, I'd be well chuffed with that!

As for struts, personally I wouldn't even attempt to print them. I always make mine from plastic stock and add brass pins to the ends to locate them. If you use brass rod and attach a resin "fairing" to give the correct shape you will lose the ability to fit the interplane struts after the cabanes. The rod will not be flexible enough. It will bend for you to fit it but will not straighten once fitted!

Ian

• Like 1

Looks fantastic so far. 

Wrt the struts, I bought 1mm carbon fibre rod off eBay and through a series of accidents discovered that it sticks with plastic magic adhesive. It’s light and pretty strong and would bond easier to your printed part than brass.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/333200519448

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 9:39 AM, perdu said:

Bebeggar the scheduled viewing, let's have lots more of this kinda viewing.

Answer your question first then Alan, yes the slightly flatter upper aerofoil at the tip is far better represented now and looks like job done to the critical eye I unfortunately have to live with.

That thing in the ip, is it the compass maybe?

Although it could be a control knob, back in the days of aerial-infancy anything went didn't it.

The engine, never seen a better representation than that.
That you made it yourself on a printer is outstanding

That it will have separate cylinders to assemble is awe inspiring, now I have fusion360 I must, really must learn how it is done.

Is that the end of intermission, can we have the next instalment please?

Bill the compass is the big lump in the middle, I was referring to a teeny tiny toaty little switch on the lower right of the IP.

I'm trying to break the whole thing down into something resembling a kit Bill. It would be possible I'm sure to print the whole fuselage off in one go but where's the fun in that.  I'm also trying to break it into sections/parts that aren't 

too ridiculous to handle. Trying to balance the challenging/rewarding seesaw.

On 3/7/2021 at 10:17 AM, Brandy said:

That cylinder looks fantastic, I'd be well chuffed with that!

As for struts, personally I wouldn't even attempt to print them. I always make mine from plastic stock and add brass pins to the ends to locate them. If you use brass rod and attach a resin "fairing" to give the correct shape you will lose the ability to fit the interplane struts after the cabanes. The rod will not be flexible enough. It will bend for you to fit it but will not straighten once fitted!

Ian

Good point Ian.  I had envisaged adding location holes for the struts set at the appropriate angle thinking that would help, but I can only make the holes around 1mm deep so in reality it's not going to give a whole lot of directional support.

On 3/7/2021 at 11:37 AM, Marklo said:

Looks fantastic so far. 

Wrt the struts, I bought 1mm carbon fibre rod off eBay and through a series of accidents discovered that it sticks with plastic magic adhesive. It’s light and pretty strong and would bond easier to your printed part than brass.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/333200519448

thank Marklo

On 3/7/2021 at 1:38 PM, dogsbody said:

Oh yeah! Wire. I didn't think of that. 

Carry on!

Chris

On 3/8/2021 at 2:48 AM, giemme said:

:gobsmacked:    Outstanding printouts, Alan :worthy:  :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

On 3/9/2021 at 4:48 PM, chrislowe said:

Fantastic update. The detail on the cylinders, the way they join to the exhaust, the cockpit detail, it's all fab. 

On 3/10/2021 at 3:41 AM, CedB said:

Stunning stuff - and it all fits! Amazing work hendie, love it :) 

Thanks Chris, Chris, Giorgio & Ced

Whatever spare time I had this week went on tweaking details so it doesn't really look like a lot of progress has occurred but I feel things are in a much better place and  while visually it doesn't look much different, there are some major changes.

More tweaks were applied to the Jupiter, this time on the engine casing, which will be all but impossible to see on the finished article, but what the heck eh? All the male/female connection dimensions were adjusted to give a little added clearance too.

Screenshot-2021-03-12-085718.png

This from what I can tell in photos, pretty much butts up against the fuselage nose so no point in going overboard and adding more detail in there.  This leaves just the two exhaust carbuncles hanging off the front end of the collector ring to do now.

Screenshot-2021-03-12-085943.png

I spent a lot of time this week redoing the mainplanes. The more I looked at them the more I was annoyed with myself at the standard of work. I knew I was capable of better.

I took a vacation day during the week and spent the day doing the mainplane all over again starting from scratch. Result?  Much better.

Screenshot-2021-03-12-141252.png

Here's a comparison shot of the old Vs the new. (with leading edge slats) 

Screenshot-2021-03-12-191423.png

They don't really look that much different do they?   However if you zoom in you'll find this

In the old wing on the left you can see that all the surfaces don't quite come together in some areas and there are a bunch of little ragged edges and gaps, whereas the new version is much smoother and cleaner.

Screenshot-2021-03-12-191513.png

In the real world those gaps are so miniscule - in the region of 0.000X mm  that the printer can't produce features that small so the wings looked fine when printed. But it bugged the bejesus out of me.  Spending that day just focused on the wings allowed me to try out a bunch of software commands that I've never had occasion to use until now - and eventually I found some commands that improved the process.  Slow work at times but value added.

I deliberated whether to add the leading edge slat as a separate component but all the reference shots show it nestled up nicely to the wing with no visible gaps present so I incorporated it into the wing. I did make some small location recesses for the hinge/actuators for the flying surfaces. I think the actuators are too delicate to print and would be better served being served by wire or metal rod.

Screenshot-2021-03-12-192604.png

Once the upper mainplane was complete, It was a simple 'save as', and delete a few bits to give me the lower wing.

A number of curses rang out when attempting the strut location holes as I discovered that Solidworks could extrude a cut through an extruded solid but couldn't extrude a cut through an extruded surface. Half holes everywhere.  It took me a little while to figure that one out but I won in the end.

Which brings us this far

Screenshot-2021-03-12-191609.png

All of the main components have now been done. (except the propellor)  There's still a fair bit of detail work to be done but overall, I think we have a Wapiti

Screenshot-2021-03-12-192337.png

Everything looks good on screen but I wanted a gut check on scale so threw the model into a drawing and measured the wingspan.

Wingspan of 46'5" works out at 294.75mm in 1/48 scale.

Screenshot-2021-03-12-191910.png

I'm 0.19mm off which isn't bad given that this wall all based on tracing over a raster image.  I'm putting the 0.19mm down to manufacturing tolerances.

After spending the day wrestling with the wing I detoured again and made up the generator

Screenshot-2021-03-12-180848.png

After that I was going to have a bash at making up the Vickers gun but hit a bit of a snag. Looky here...

Screenshot-2021-03-12-191025.png

All the documentation I can find states that the Wapiti was fitted with a .303 forward firing Vickers machine gun. Off I went searching for dimensions and discovered that I cannot find a single image of a VIckers machine gun that matches that image above.

Any clues?

Have they simply removes the cooling jacket over the barrel? What about that ammo magazine?

At this scale I could just use basic shapes and no-on would be any the wiser, but I'd like to have it reasonably accurate so any help on the gun would be appreciated, thanks

A safe weekend to you all

• Like 11

I think the circular "magazine" is the return for spent cartridges back to an internal storage case. Vickers guns were fed from the right and ejected to the left, so that would fit. I'm not an expert, and I have no idea about the barrel,  it maybe it's just that return that makes it appear bigger?

Ian

• Like 1