28 Sqn Westland Wapiti (1/48) scratch 'n' print

hendie

On 2/12/2021 at 4:21 AM, CedB said:

More great work hendie - and confusing me with Bill has made my day! Escalated to the giddy heights… :D 

Sorry Ced, sorry Bill, or should that be Sorry Bill, sorry Ced? Maybe just sorry guys? 

In my defense, I'm stupid.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:58 AM, TheBaron said:

Smashing! :yahoo:

Really really pleased for you getting a print through Alan and those results look superb. Hugely impressed by that wealth of surface detailing you've achieved here.

I think I had a similar problem causing a resin meniscus to get cured in my port intake tunnel, forming a barrier. For hollow parts, am much more relaxed about creating larger visible drain holes now to let any excess resin out, knowing how easy it is to invisibly mend such holes with the same resin and a laser pen later on.

One useful feature on the latest update to Chitubox was the ability to turn off the animation feature on the slice function, so that it happen pretty much instantly rather than making you wait 30 seconds or more as it used to on taller parts. But then I expect you're all over this already...

It wasn't until I got an EGP to plug in to the work laptop at the start of last summer that the design process really took off with Fusion. Without it I doubt whether I'd have been able to wade through more complex structures like the Avons (as a component made up  of so many bodies) in one go.

Thanks Tony.  I think the Wapiti has more greeblies than a Russian helicopter, at least on the port side.  The starboard side is downright bland by comparison.  I believe my skill set has improved since starting this little endeavor but I'm still finding that I'm redoing everything at least once. The first attempt lets me know I can create it and subsequent builds/revamps improve the technique

I downloaded the latest Chitubox but haven't looked into it in any depth at all. I shall need to correct that.  I keep waiting for them to release the Pro version.  I'm all ready to sign up but there's very little info on it other than coming soon.

18 hours ago, perdu said:

Ced says if you did manage to get 'the hole' some distance into the leg structure it might help keep a clearance drill in line at least for the distance to the bottom/top.

Actually Ced I thought that too.

😃😃😃

I love the ribbed canvas on the tail Alan, can't see any reason that subtle wing rib and tape effects like that wouldn't work on all the other surfaces either.

I think you'll have that sussed in no time.

definitely more print tests to be done Bill.  The ribbed canvas turned out well, but it's a pig to create with my current methods.  I Shall need to experiment further to see if I can find an easier way to accomplish the same effect

A little bit more work was thrown at the tail yesterday. The elevators were separated out, rib tapes were added as well as location features for rigging.

This is all just sitting in place now - now fixtures or location features have been created yet.  I wanted to see how it all lay together before figuring out what the best assembly sequence would be, and the sequence may impact the design of the location features.

Capture2.png

I also took a stab at the windscreen.  The plans aren't very clear in this respect so I had to rely more on reference shots to see what was going on. 

Capture1.png

but it's the weekend so no more computery stuff. It's time for the physical tangible stuff and I have some rigging to tidy up and lots more rigging ahead

• Like 10

1 hour ago, hendie said:

I keep waiting for them to release the Pro version.  I'm all ready to sign up but there's very little info on it other than coming soon.

Same here - though of course it all depends on their definition of 'Pro', which imho requires a significant visual overhaul of the interface for one thing.

1 hour ago, hendie said:

A little bit more work was thrown at the tail yesterday. The elevators were separated out, rib tapes were added as well as location features for rigging.

This is all just sitting in place now - now fixtures or location features have been created yet.  I wanted to see how it all lay together before figuring out what the best assembly sequence would be, and the sequence may impact the design of the location features.

That's looking particularly special even at this stage.; it will be interesting to see how this looks in printed form!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Same here - though of course it all depends on their definition of 'Pro', which imho requires a significant visual overhaul of the interface for one thing.

That's the one thing that I don't foresee happening, sadly.

I'm hoping for a feature that allows you to modify layer heights and associated exposure times in a single print. That way you could use a 0.5 layer height for less detailed areas, then switch down to 0.2 layer height for more detailed areas, and back and forth as needed.  I'm happy with the support structure features and how they've come along though it would be nice to be able to select two distinct points and have a support located between them.  I don't always agree with how Chitubox routes their supports

I'm still tempted by the Mars 2 though just for the faster exposure times

16 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

That's looking particularly special even at this stage.; it will be interesting to see how this looks in printed form!

Thanks Tony. I may decide to knock out a print or two next weekend

• Like 1

@hendie  My mind boggles at the skills required at doing this cad work and hours of work that had gone into this - kudos!.

One observation,.  the Oil Radiator positioning has its fair share of headaches. It appears that in the 30s the radiator has moved from the port side of the fuselage to the bottom of the fuselage

Eg This classic photo has it on the port side of the fuselage on the side

http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries/var/resizes/Aircraft-Database/Westland-Wapiti/MkIIA-J9835-J9871/J9842.jpg?m=1427860303

Moved to the bottom of the nose right before the struts.

http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries/var/resizes/Aircraft-Database/Westland-Wapiti/Mk-IIA-K1316-1415/K1397.jpg?m=1454276289

The 1930s photos of Wops based in India show the radiator on the bottom ..

PS: Note the wheel hub variations!

Edited by Jagan
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 8:52 PM, Jagan said:

My mind boggles at the skills required at doing this cad work and hours of work that had gone into this - kudos!.

Thanks Jadan.  For those that are fluent in CAD, there's nothing really special going on here - it's just creating basic sketches, adding and subtracting, and pulling and pushing bits around.  There are a few hours going into it though - mainly because I tend to redo things when I find a better method.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:52 PM, Jagan said:

The 1930s photos of Wops based in India show the radiator on the bottom ..

Not always Jadan.  Take this photo from Geoffrey Newland Roberts personal album collection.  Captioned: Senior British Army officers inspecting No. 11 Squadron personnel and aircraft. Westland Wapitis in view. North West Frontier, India.

Wapiti-front-end.jpg

So far this is the best quality photo I have come across and it's been invaluable as a reference. It's definitely not Northern Scotland as they're all wearing funny hats.

I'm still searching for a decent shot of a 28 Sqn Wapiti but it seems they just aren't out there in internet land.

Moving on  - a bit more work has been thrown at the digital Wapiti. Rib tapes were added to the wings

Capture.png

One pleasing moment was working out how to obtain a better shaped wingtip.  It's still not perfect but I think it looks a lot better than the previous version

Capture1.png

Little baby ribs were added to the undercarriage leg and I started blocking out the forward attachment bracket

Capture2.png

I figured out how I want to mount the tailplane assembly to the fuselage.  I'm going to use a couple of pins to locate the tailplane, and the tail fin will poke through the hole in the middle. I may need to tweak clearances a little bit but I think this method will work.

It won't be strictly accurate per the 1:1 but for security and strength of mounting, I think this is the best way

Capture4.png

Al the fluted strengthening ribs were added to the starboard side

Capture3.png

Overall, this is how she looks at the moment

Capture5.png

The work laptop is really struggling now but I should be picking up a new one midweek so hopefully things will be a little easier going forward

Capture6.png

Last night, my brain was starting to fry after the weeks work so as a diversion I started blocking out the engine - very early days here, but it's already thrown up a nice challenge in getting those exhausts to look right.

Capture7.png

Any guesses as to what I was doing this morning?

Capture.png

Yup, I decided it was time for another test print. I know the build plate is a bit busy but I thought I'd give it a go and see what happens. My resin is almost expired so I may as well use it up and get some more on order.

This print has been going since lunchtime and will take about seven and a half hours total. That's using a build layer of 0.05 mm just for these tests. Dropping that layer height down to 0.03 mm is certainly going to add a few hours on to that.  It almost makes it worthwhile investing in the new Elegoo Mars.

As you are no doubt wondering what all is in there:  Obviously there's front and rear fuselage, but I've also thrown in an undercarriage leg, the gun mount, tail plane, an elevator, tail fin, the cockpit windscreen, oil cooler, elevator pivot brackets, wing ID lamp and some rigging fixtures.

I've also thrown in a test piece (the rectangular thing at bottom left) with through holes ranging from 0.3 mm to 1.2 mm in a 30 mm high block.  That will give me an idea of what can be achieved in the undercarriage leg and if I will be able to pin it or not. Also on the same block are a number of rib tapes ranging in height from something insignificant to 0.5 mm. Once I take a look at that I'll be able to go back to the wings/tail plane etc and adjust the height of the rib tapes to something that looks realistic.

4 hours and 8 minutes left and counting

• Like 18

This is amazing stuff. My pith helmet is truly doffed, sir. I kid myself I’d like to get into this 3D malarkey, but I know my brain cell can’t adapt to such new-fangled ideas. I must rely in clever folk to do the magic.

Looking at your working, though, the thought struck me your modelled undercarriage appears a little narrow in track compared to the photo at the start of the post. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Furiously eating 🍿 🍿 while waiting your test print results 

And some :beer:

:D

Ciao

Some good, some bad, but nothing unexpected Giorgio. Photos will have to wait until I've finished my coffee and made it downstairs to the dark dungeon

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how that little lot comes out. What is new about the new Mars btw?

Ian

I think there's a few minor enhancements Ian, but the big carrot for me is that they have changed the screen technology so that the cure time per layer is cut by around 2/3rds.

If I take the Wapiti as an example, the current print at 0.05 mm layer height took just under 8 hours. If I decrease the layer height I could be looking at a print run of somewhere around 16 hours.  With the Mars Two Pro I could be looking at a print run of somewhere around 6 hours for that same quality of print.

The build dimensions aren't any different so it's all down to how important your time is and to be honest, my current Mars is perfectly capable of producing anything I'm likely to need for the foreseeable future. Then does it really matter if I have to wait overnight before I can see a print?  In the grand scheme of things...

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

This is amazing stuff. My pith helmet is truly doffed, sir. I kid myself I’d like to get into this 3D malarkey, but I know my brain cell can’t adapt to such new-fangled ideas. I must rely in clever folk to do the magic

Looking at your working, though, the thought struck me your modelled undercarriage appears a little narrow in track compared to the photo at the start of the post. 

It could well be Heather. I was working on the undercarriage over the last couple of days and between deleting and adding sketches I have probably removed some of the design constraints.  I was concentrating more on getting the overall form of the leg to look right, the dangle angle can easily be changed at any time

4 hours ago, mahavelona said:

Stunning work my jaw is on the floor

I can print you off a nice fixture to keep that jaw in place. There may be considerable design charges though

til later

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, hendie said:

I was concentrating more on getting the overall form of the leg to look right, the dangle angle can easily be changed at any time

I figured that might be the case. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, giemme said:

Furiously eating 🍿 🍿 while waiting your test print results 

You can stop eating now Giorgio

13 hours ago, Brandy said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how that little lot comes out.

You can stop looking forward to things now Ian

Today took a little detour as I had to help out the daughters boyfriend with his car - he had managed to shear two studs off the rear wheel so that took a couple of hours away from the modelhaus.

But wait no longer as hereforthwith I display to you in all it's glory (and shame) the results of the latest test print run.

This is straight out of the dunk in IPA bath

P2210015.jpg

This here is the center wing nav light (on top right) and the rest are little rigging standoffs that I thought might be worth a try. Just as an FYI, they are 1.25 x 1mm x 1 mm tall

P2210016.jpg

Oil cooler and elevator pivot bracket thingy

P2210017.jpg

machine gun mounting platform. I did consider making this from brass wire but this turned out so well I may forego that endeavour 

P2210018.jpg

Tail fin

P2210019.jpg

Here's where things started to go a bit awry. This was supposed to be one of the elevators, but as you can see it didn't turn out too well.  I used medium supports on this and they broke away at the outer sedges resulting in a failed print.

No big deal though as I know where I went wrong and that's the purpose, or at least part of the purpose of these test prints.

P2210022.jpg

Samem issue with the tail plane - the supports gave way again.

P2210023.jpg

Dammit, bloomin forum software went and ghost posted on me again,. It hasn't done that for a while.

The test print turned out well though and gave me some very useful information. It's difficult to see but those brass rods go all the way through the test block at roughly 30mm high.  That's a 0.8mm and a 1.0 mm rod sitting nicely in there.

That bodes well for my undercarriage strengthening plans.  

Additionally and quite surprisingly, the 0.05 mm high rib tapes are definitely evident on the test block.  I had a feeling that I would need to go larger for them to print with any real definition but I'm happy to be proved wrong in this instance.

P2210024.jpg

The undercarriage leg and the windscreen. The ribs on the leg look fine.  I was worried that they would be too obtrusive but they don't appear to be overscale in any way.

P2210027.jpg

That's one of the biggest drawbacks with CAD.  You can zoom in almost infinitely and it can be difficult for your mind to comprehend that the huge object staring back at you on your 24" screen is in fact only a few millimeters high.  In many cases it's not until you get things in your hand that you can tell if you got it right or not, especially when you are trying to replicate detail sin such a small scale.

Now the parts you've really been waiting for - the front fuselage

P2210020.jpg

T'other side of said front fuselage.  The results so far are very pleasing, but I'll hold judgement until I get a coat of paint on things.

P2210021.jpg

The rear fuselage was another fail.  To be honest, really only a partial fail.  Once again supports gave way at critical junctures.  I have locating tabs on this half, and while I used 'heavy' supports on the tabs, I only used medium supports on the rest of the body.  For reference, the printing orientation was vertical going from left to right as shown here.

P2210025.jpg

Still overall I am very pleased with the outcome.

One feature which was just a 'hey let's see what happens then' was the tape and lacing that can be seen on the rear fuselage here.  I really wasn't sure that would work or not, but am quite impressed by the way it turned out.

P2210026.jpg

In summary, I'm very pleased with how the print run went. Sure I had a few partially failed prints but I learned from each one of those and next time around I know those are problems that can easily be solved.

I couldn't resist throwing some primer on it to see how it looked especially as I have some Alclad primer that's starting to get a bit thick and needs disposed of - what better opportunity for it to provide some benefit before it goes to the bin?

I apologize if I repeat myself but this process still amazes me every time I print something. It's like Xmas morning as a kid every time I see that build plate sitting up high at the end of a print run. Magic.

Panel lines. Yes, panel lines.  I wondered how they would turn out so I had added a panel line or two to the Wapiti just before I printed it.  Did it work?

I had to use the macro feature on the camera in order to see it here.  This vertical panel line is 0.1mm wide, and it printed. Amazing.  Airfix eat you heart out!

P2210039.jpg

To be honest I think it's a little on the thin side and I may just beef it up to 0.2mm wide for the next test print. That should give it better definition without it being in your face.

As I mentioned, these parts are without any cleanup other than a quick rinse in IPA and removal of the supports, nothing more. I didn't even bother to post cure these.

Again, macro function.  The windscreen and gun platform fitted. I'm very pleased with the windscreen. When it comes to the final print, I'll print the windscreen and nav lights etc. in clear resin, then make a pigs ear of painting the frames no doubt.

P2210040.jpg

I'll leave you with some shots of the assembled parts so far

P2210037.jpg

U/C fitted, along with gun mount, windscreen, elevator bracket, and a couple of the rigging standoffs. It's a greeblefest.

P2210029.jpg

slightly different angle

P2210033.jpg

If anything I think those fluted ribs on the fuselage could be toned down just a fraction... any thoughts from the hive?

Here you can clearly see where the rear fuselage failed. Even so I think that could be 'repaired" and not look too bad.

P2210032.jpg

Last shot you'll be glad to hear.

P2210035.jpg

Pleased?  Yes I am. Very.

This last round of test prints has been very informative.  I've learned that I need to be very selective with my support type and positioning for some of the parts. I believe the undercarriage has a workable solution to keep things in scale and prevent the while thing from collapsing under its own weight, and rib tapes etc and some of the finer details are all possible.

My location system for the windscreen and for the tail surfaces works and just needs the slightest tweaks.

As I start to work on other components such as the internals, I shall probably break up the fuselage into a few more sections to aid with assembly.  I'll know more once I have the internals modeled. 

Now back to that F2b

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

It looks fab even though you are having some issues with the print mechanics. The rib tapes look subtle but noticeable. I think Airfix and FROG miseducated us all on “hills and valleys”. I’m thinking of the Demon wing when the modified the Hart mould as a prime example. Much nicer before...

I was just looking at your reference photo thinking “blimey, ribbed undercarriage legs!”, but I see you are already on that. 

Regards,

Adrian

[edit] and you've got the stringers on the rear decking too - chapeau!

• Like 1

Outstanding!

That print also supplied some useful info for me in that I'm having problems printing .3mm slots in my wheel hubs. I think a horizontal orientation as per your oil cooler may be the answer.

Lovely to see it all work out so well first time, with only minor issues and known fixes.

Ian

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

but I see you are already on that. 

feel free to call me out on anything else you spot Adrian - just in case I miss anything

21 hours ago, giemme said:

I call this success!

Me too Giorgio.

6 hours ago, Brandy said:

That print also supplied some useful info for me in that I'm having problems printing .3mm slots in my wheel hubs. I think a horizontal orientation as per your oil cooler may be the answer.

Lovely to see it all work out so well first time, with only minor issues and known fixes.

You may have trouble getting a hole that small Ian.  In my rush to post yesterday I omitted to mention that my test block had a series of holes ranging from 0.3mm to 1.2mm in 0.1mm increments.

I don't have it handy to check right now but I don't think the holes at the smaller end of the range were all that successful, mainly due to the viscosity/meniscus/light bleeding. That being said, my block was around 30 mm tall so you may have better success with a thinner walled object.  I also found that due to the viscosity of the resin hanging around the hole periphery the holes ended up being smaller than designed.  For example, the 0.8mm rod fitted in the 0.9mm hole and the 1.0 mm rod fitted in the 1.1 mm hole.  I'm sure the effective wall thickness of 30mm contributed to the holes 'shrinking'

I'm sure the results would be slightly different if the wall thickness was only 1mm or less and you'd probably see a greater degree of success

It would be easy for you to run your own test block with a range of holes in a part with the intended wall thickness. You might find that a hole designed at 0.5mm ends up being around 0.3mm when it's printed.

You could also try reducing the exposure time, say down to 7 seconds per layer (for a 0.05mm layer height) - that may minimize the obscuration problem though you'd need a slightly longer post cure.  For small holes it's definitely better to try and print them in a vertical orientation

To be honest, for small holes I usually place a small indent to give me a visual marker and a starting guide for drilling later

• Like 5

The rib tapes are 1.5mm wide or 1mm wide depending upon whether they are at the leading/trailing edge (1.5mm), or running longitudinally (1mm), and I'm using a height of 0.05mm offset from the surface though I may change that as I haven't hit the wings with paint yet, and that could change how it appears.  It looked like a reasonable estimate to start with.

• Like 1

Looks amazing so far. CAD and print your own kit hmmm. I think I’d still limit myself to wheels and engines I like old school fabrication.

Id be inclined to split out the forward upper deck horizontally that way you could detail the interior and not have seams on awkward places.

Astonishing test results Alan, not that I am astonished personally tha knows.

I am loving the delicacy the process gives even under the primer, I am getting real powerful jealousy for your ability to draw then make whatever you fancy.

Bus wheel spokes with built-in slopes and recessed hub centres beckon...

Oh my good Lord !!

More CAD madness... and already page 3 !!

Congratulations !! Another gem in the making !!

If only it can inspire Mr and Mrs Airfix to produce one !!

Real good job !!

Sincerely.

CC

Huh !!

What about a 1/48 Avro Bison ??

CC

• Like 1

Thanks Alan. Actually I was referring to the oil cooler with the gaps between the layers. I'm trying to print the hubs with 0.3mm gaps between the edges to allow me to wrap the spoke wires around. I'm printing as I type so will find out soon if it works.

Ian

• Like 3

On 2/23/2021 at 5:42 AM, CedB said:

Amazing results hendie and well worth the wait.

Great stuff :) 

Thanks Ced

On 2/23/2021 at 6:00 AM, Marklo said:

Looks amazing so far. CAD and print your own kit hmmm. I think I’d still limit myself to wheels and engines I like old school fabrication.

Id be inclined to split out the forward upper deck horizontally that way you could detail the interior and not have seams on awkward places.

Still a long way to go Marklo before I make any final decisions, though I think I may have a way to insert the internals without having multiple joins all over the fuselage. Time will tell.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:44 AM, perdu said:

Astonishing test results Alan, not that I am astonished personally tha knows.

I am loving the delicacy the process gives even under the primer, I am getting real powerful jealousy for your ability to draw then make whatever you fancy.

Bus wheel spokes with built-in slopes and recessed hub centres beckon...

you're right Bill - having the necessary CAD skills is a real boon when it comes to things like this.  

On 2/23/2021 at 7:59 AM, corsaircorp said:

Oh my good Lord !!

More CAD madness... and already page 3 !!

Congratulations !! Another gem in the making !!

If only it can inspire Mr and Mrs Airfix to produce one !!

Real good job !!

Sincerely.

CC

Huh !!

What about a 1/48 Avro Bison ??

CC

Bison?  Never say Never CC.  Or did Mr Bond already say that

On 2/23/2021 at 8:01 AM, Brandy said:

Thanks Alan. Actually I was referring to the oil cooler with the gaps between the layers. I'm trying to print the hubs with 0.3mm gaps between the edges to allow me to wrap the spoke wires around. I'm printing as I type so will find out soon if it works.

Ian

Ah... mea misinterpretty again Ian.  I must admit to cheating a little bit here Ian. I chamfered the edges of the flanges as well to give just that little bit more clearance.

Visually it works on the printed parts

Capture7.png

Snow, snow, more snow and damnable freezing rain all week.  Though what does it really matter when you have to work from home anyway?

This week has been a bit rough though at least I didn't have a sewage tank to deal with first thing Monday morning so that's progress.

more hours have been spent slaving over a hot keyboard - I got my new laptop this week, and as usual, it's put me behind by several weeks already. The ripe old fun of getting locked out of accounts never loses it's novelty value does it? Then it takes several days for our ITwits to get back to you to sort things out.

Oh well, I can do other things while you won't let me work.

The new laptop is only marginally better than the old one, but I'll count that as success - I'll just have to be creative with the large assemblies later on.

Wings! Hours they took.  Hours.

Solidworks didn't like the multiple lofts and adding the rib tapes was a real challenge especially around the wing tips. Solidworks just blatantly refused to use the surfaces to offset the tapes.  I finally managed it, but being brutally honest, it really isn't pretty.  There's a bunch of small gaps and irregular surfaces, but at this scale, I don't think they'll be replicated in the print.  Another good reason to test print again soon.

This is about 95% done now.  Only a few small details to add, but all the heavy lifting is done and all remaining work should be a lot quicker.

Capture6.png

That allowed me to mirror the wing surface from port to starboard. Things are really taking shape now.

I caught the fact that the starboard undercarriage leg didn't mirror properly after taking this screenshot so that has now been fixed.

Capture.png

I also updated the rudder and tail fin.  The ribs on those surfaces are very evident in photos so I've tried to capture that look.  I may have overdone the 4 ribs on the lower end of the rudder but it's difficult to tell until I have a print in my hands.  Still, these things are easy fixes.  Creating the features in the first place was a lot harder - again rib tapes were proving a nightmare, then I realized that you can't see rib tapes on those surfaces. 

The starboard side is still a bit bland compared to the port side, but the addition of the tape and lacing at the back end gives it a bit of interest

Capture4.png

After spending literally hours on those wing surfaces, I needed a break so detoured to things internal.

All I can find on the Wapiti cockpit is one very blurry photo and one rough schematic, neither of which agrees with the other. Obviously.

Given the lack of available references and general information, I think anything I do internally is going to be best guess.

So here's a best guess at an instrument panel, based loosely on the photo and schematic

Capture1.png

I do have one cutaway drawing which is proving useful in determining what lives inside and roughly where it lives. Though, since it's a 3/4 view drawing with no dimensions, everything is really just an estimate of location and I'm afraid that's the best it's going to get.

Instrument panel in location, and a trio of oxygen bottles that appear to be located directly under the pilots seat as best I can tell

Capture3.png

This shot gives a better perspective on where they are located

Capture2.png

still a long way to go but progressing at a reasonable pace all things considered 

• Like 16