Alfa Romeo 8C 2300, Monaco GP '32

@Codger @silver911 @johnlambert @Brandy @Malc2 @CrazyCrank @klubman01 @elderly

Thank you all for your overwhelming praise, you are most kind. It's been a a very enjoyable build, and good to have you following.

I hope it's giving some inspiration. It has for me, and quite unplanned I will now have both a P2 and a P3 as upcoming projects.

Some more pictures will come up in the RFI section.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is a lovely model, Jörgen.

Like Chas said, it can compete with the Pocher models and we might find yours in the top of the ranking.

You have added so many fantastic details to make it ultimately into a very true representation of the real car.

Well done! Hat off from me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pouln said:

This is a lovely model, Jörgen.

Like Chas said, it can compete with the Pocher models and we might find yours in the top of the ranking.

You have added so many fantastic details to make it ultimately into a very true representation of the real car.

Well done! Hat off from me.

Thank you very much Poul, you are most kind. I'm glad you like the result.

Reminds me I should try taking some better photos...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At long last I have managed some descent photos of the finished model - that even show the red colour quite well - that I have now placed in the RFI-section.

Thanks to everyone who followed my build, posted kind praise and useful comments, it's much appreciated. I hope you will enjoy the new photos.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Looks really nice: have you seen the new MFH P2? Mmmmmm.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, I noted MFH, but I'm probably staying in 1/24, I have a P2 from FPPM in transit. I'll admit that if MFH would make a 1/12 Auto Union I'll place an early pre-order.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Blue Baron said:

Waw! I'm new here, but this is exactly why I joined. This build is utterly stunning and massively inspiring!

Many thanks! If the thread gives you inspiration, it makes it very worthwhile having made it.

• 11 months later...

I have been saving the pennies to buy the Roadster version of this kit. But I have to say your skill has left my mojo in tatters - the result of your labours is exactly what I desire, but I don't think I will ever be in the same league! Thank you so much for sharing your expertise, you are an inspiration to us all. I know that when I do pluck up the courage to buy the kit (and open the box!) your expoerience and pics will be the 'go to' reference at every step!

Edited by tasso
  • Thanks 1

I built this last year, so am well aware of the pitfalls. If you fancy adding some scratch parts, this is a great reference site - 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Touring Le Mans Gallery Images - Ultimatecarpage.com

I put the engine in upside down, God knows why!

The chassis was pretty straightforward and the engine is OK with care. Consider using Engines Perfect Metal Set 3 LC-CS51 LifeColor, they look great!

The recommended Zero Paints Monza is filthy stuff and if you can mix your own acrylic colour, you'll be much better off. 

Be careful about attaching the engine to the transmission and dry fit it first to check.

There are so many leads that I labelled them all with masking tape. Many of these are the same leads that will attach to the back of the instrument panel, so don't fit them twice! (as I did)

I really struggled with the bonnet hinges, so lots of dry fitting is required. The little hinges are flimsy, so consider using CA for them. If I could have worked out a way to run some thin wire through them, I would have done, but perhaps you're more imaginative than I am. 

This was the technique I used on the seat:

You may want to consider a light sanding before you start, to give it a more leathery texture

First I used pink primer on the seat

Next, a coat of XF-64 Flat Red Brown

Then dry brushed with XF-52 Dry Earth

Then used a piece of sponge to distress with XF-55 Flat Deck Tan

Then used a thin black enamel wash on the seams

Then I wiped, then polished the seat with AK Detail Shine Enhancer with my dressing gown

Finally, I got some XF-64 on my finger and rubbed it on the seat on the driver's side and very lightly sanded it to blend it in.

I used a pink primer on all the bodywork and a mid grey on the rest. I prefer to airbrush onto the sprue, then touch up afterwards. Tastes differ on this.

Finally, good luck with it. It'll be a gorgeous model if you're careful and READ & UNDERSTAND THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST!!!!!

Chris

P>S> I'm having fun with the 1/12 Roadster version ATM.

41 minutes ago, tasso said:

I have been saving the pennies to buy the Roadster version of this kit. But I have to say your skill has left my mojo in tatters - the result of your labours is exactly what I desire, but I don't think I will ever be in the same league! Thank you so much for sharing your expertise, you are an inspiration to us all. I know that when I do pluck up the courage to buy the kit (and open the box!) your expoerience and pics will be the 'go to' reference at every step!

Thanks a lot for your very kind words!

However, do not be afreid to give the kit a go, and use my work to raise your mojo. Think something like this: "If this guy can do this, then it's something other guys, like me, can also do. Sooner or later." Take your time and you will make good work, and most important of all, enjoy it. Also keep in mind that I have built many hundreds of models during my life, which has gone on for a while now, and experience do help. Italeri has made a nice kit overall, and with care it will build into a good model straight from the box as well.

• 9 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, Bengalensis said:

Today I got the wire locking bolts and rivet heads. The whole print looked surprisingly good and without damage.

A112.jpg

The 0,3 mm holes through the lock bolts were of course filled with residues, but cleaned out nicely with a 0,3 drill and great care with each individual.

A113.jpg

With some paint sprayed I think they could work.

A114.jpg

Tomorrow should see the rivet heads installed on the body and hopefully some red paint sprayed.

Hello Sir I am following this amazing thread closely as I too am building this kit, your efforts with these lockbolts are truly amazing ~ I have read every page hoping to see a link to Shapeways so that I may have some printed, but I see none ~ Would it possible for you to provide a shapeways link to the lockbolts please ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim B. said:

Hello Sir I am following this amazing thread closely as I too am building this kit, your efforts with these lockbolts are truly amazing ~ I have read every page hoping to see a link to Shapeways so that I may have some printed, but I see none ~ Would it possible for you to provide a shapeways link to the lockbolts please ?

Hello Tim,

The reason I'm not having my set available via my friend Brusefält's Shapeway shop, is that they are too small for what Shapeways specify for their "ultra fine detail plastic", which would only create problems for us when people would order them. I will happily send you the 3D stl-file I created for your personal use, no problem.You can upload it to Shapeways and have them printed yourself, or you can try another printer if you have access. Please be aware that Shapeways will complain about the dimensions in the model a day or two after you order it, and the option "print it anyway on my own risc" must be used. My own print was received without problems after that. Also be aware that all the tiny wire holes must be cleaned out individually from soft print residues with a 0,3 mm drill, and that the resulting parts are very fragile. There are a good number of spares in the model, and you will need some during your work.

However, since I created my own locking bolts another option has become available from Unobtanium, see here:

https://unobtainium.digital/shop.html#!/products/alfa-romeo-8c-2300-monza-wire-lock-bolts-kit

They might be a better and easier option, and readily available, but I have not seen them for real so I can't compare myself.

Hello J ö r g e n I have ordered some lock bolts from Unobtanium! I have stopped my build of this kit for now until I can thoroughly study your work here, there are other builds out there but None with this depth and serious dedication to accuracy.

I am happy I am only still in the early stages of the build, I could have made some irreversible errors had I not seen this museum quality work.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tim B. said:

Hello J ö r g e n I have ordered some lock bolts from Unobtanium! I have stopped my build of this kit for now until I can thoroughly study your work here, there are other builds out there but None with this depth and serious dedication to accuracy.

I am happy I am only still in the early stages of the build, I could have made some irreversible errors had I not seen this museum quality work.

Thanks a lot Tim!

I hope you will find the Unobtanium bolts working well.

I'm glad to bring some inspiration with my work. There are a couple more 8C builds on this forum that are worth looking at.

I hope you might start your own thread showing your work on the 8C when you get going again, it will be interesting to see.