Alfa Romeo 8C 2300, Monaco GP '32

Today I got the wire locking bolts and rivet heads. The whole print looked surprisingly good and without damage.

A112.jpg

The 0,3 mm holes through the lock bolts were of course filled with residues, but cleaned out nicely with a 0,3 drill and great care with each individual.

A113.jpg

With some paint sprayed I think they could work.

A114.jpg

Tomorrow should see the rivet heads installed on the body and hopefully some red paint sprayed.

• Like 6

I sanded the surfacer on the parts waiting for red paint, and then glued the row of rivet heads in place. This will be better than the small moulded in details, that were also missing down the sides (for obvious mould technical reasons).

A115.jpg

Then I fitted the windscreen brackets, which was quite fiddly before everything lined up reasonably well. I don't think the brackets are exactly accurate for Nuvolari's Monaco -32 car, but I choose to ignore that. The windscreen will also be folded down on my finished model, reducing the importance of the brackets a little bit. The photo etched parts have two holes each in the flanges against the body. I filled those with my rivet heads to improve things a little. The windscreen is of course loose at this stage.

A116.jpg

And then some Alfa red paint and semi gloss clear was sprayed. At last it feels a little real progress is made again...

A117.jpg

• Like 5

The inside of the body and firewall were sprayed aluminium after masking. I have no idea if this is correct for this car in Monaco -32, and I have seen all variations on Monza bodied cars; bare metal, grey, body colour... But I like this look and it's more race car...

A118.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, silver911 said:

Another superb step forward...really enjoying this build :)

Thank you very much Ron, I'm happy you enjoy.

3 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I can see that this is coming to final quite soon. Nice work.

Thank you very much Vesa. The end is getting a little closer, but still much to do, and some things I still haven't decided how to tackle.

• Like 1

Parts are fitted around the fuel tank. The red paint is crazy to photograph, at this time of the day it's looking about its worst on photos; it's so much better IRL...

A122.jpg

A123.jpg

The dash board and firewall fitted to the body.

A124.jpg

After a good deal of trial fitting of the body and fuel tank back and forth on the frame, and they do fit quite well, I decided to glue the body and tank together first, as I decided that joint was most important. It's not yet time to fix the body to the frame, but this decision had to be made now.

A125.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hi

The Alfa is looking really good, I have followed your lead, and purchased a set of wire wheels for mine, sorry if I have missed it, but where did you acquire the wire locking bolts from?

Many thanks 

Best regards 

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Outstanding work here coming together nicely! Love the red colour,Chris.

Thanks a lot Chris. I just wish the red would photograph better.

6 hours ago, Kingswear1 said:

Hi

The Alfa is looking really good, I have followed your lead, and purchased a set of wire wheels for mine, sorry if I have missed it, but where did you acquire the wire locking bolts from?

Many thanks 

Best regards 

Mark 

Thanks Mark. The wire locking bolts I have ended up using here, I drew in 3D cad and had them printed by Shapeways.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235088094-alfa-romeo-8c-2300-monaco-gp-32/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-3999127

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Lovely to see the bodywork coming together. All your extra effort has really paid off.

Thanks a lot Ian.

11 hours ago, Kingswear1 said:

Hi

Many thanks for info on the locking bolts and rivets can they be purchased?

Best regards 

Mark

Not easily I'm afraid. It happens that I make occasional 3D-parts I create available via my friend Brusefalt's small "shop" at Shapeways, if there is interest, but there are a few problems with this set;

- They are outside Shapeways accepted minimum dimensions, meaning I use their "Print anyway at my own risk" option. Having such a part available in a Shapways shop creates problems when it's ordered from outside.

- Every single lock bolt needs cleaning out print residues with a 0,3 mm drill to free up the hole.

- They are quite fragile, both on the sprue and when installed.

All in all this just means potential problems and unsatisfied buyers for us, if making them available to purchase.

What I can do, is to give you access to my STL-file "as is", if you want to take the risk and order a print for yourself at Shapeways. I don't think it will work with your own 3D-printer at home.

4 hours ago, Kingswear1 said:

Hi

Many thanks for your reply and offer, I am thinking about using some brass model railway handrail knobs suitably modified.

Best regards 

Mark 

If you can get something suitably sized and looking in metal it will be a very good idea.

What has struck me is how quickly they look oversized. Even those I made here I think are on the limit or over.

We'll see how mine works when time comes to wire them. I fully expect to replace the odd one when I start messing it up...

More wire locking bolts fitted. For two of them I made small clamps to be folded around the vent pipe later on.

A126.jpg

I'm only doing a very basic job with wiring and plumbing under here. I will do a little more weathering to the inner surfaces before it's time to fit the bodywork to the frame.

A127.jpg

• Like 9

In the morning time came to fit the body to the frame. It was a bit tricky to get it over the seatback with the fuel tank fitted, but it just worked, and it could then be glued section by section. I have a little bit of paint touch up to do at the rear of the frame which I will sort later on. The ignition wire tube, ID-plate and fuse box covers were also fitted.

A128.jpg

A129.jpg

Actually before the body was fitted I did the fuel pipes at the floor and up to the carburettor from copper wire. It's just the kit layout and I'm not sure it's correct and I suspect a separate valve to switch between ordinary fuel supply and the reserve was placed higher up, but I'm letting that off.

A130.jpg

With the body fitted the most important task now is to make the bonnet pieces fit so they can be painted. After some more studying and thinking my decision has been made that this car only had the centre hinge, and the lower sections riveted (probably) to the top sections with a fine joint visible. This meant I had to fill the locations for the kit's lower right side hinges with glued styrene pieces sanded smooth. Later on the moulded hinge detail will be replaced with a thin flat strip. I also had to grind off material to clear the carburettor air intake.

A131.jpg

With the radiator cowling temporarily in place the two right side pieces could, after some minor adjustments, be glued together and taped in place.

A132.jpg

Over to the left side and the section under the exhaust is taped in. Then a trial fit of the exhaust system and the bonnet section above reveals that as things are the exhaust exits the bonnet slightly high to make the bonnet fit. This will need a bit of reshaping of the exhaust, but probably not much. I'll deal with it when time comes.

A133.jpg

The two left side sections were then glued together and taped in place. This will now have to dry thoroughly over night, and then both sides will need some material added towards the radiator cowling, sanding smooth, and some further adjustments to reach a satisfying fit. It probably sounds that I have more control than I actually have. Time will tell...

A134.jpg

The fuel lines from the rear of the tank up into the frame were also added.

A135.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The glued bonnet pieces had dried nice and solid, so work started on the right side. the inner hinge detail was removed and the flat strip glued in place. The forward edge of the top section had a strip of Evergreen glued to add material, which was then sanded to get a good consistent gap to the radiator shroud.

A136.jpg

Right side done, left side next.

A137.jpg

The bottom section is nice fit as is, but the other two needs work, especially up front.

A138.jpg

The inside was modified the same way as the right side. Evergreen strips where glued both front and rear and sanded little by little to improve the gaps.

A139.jpg

Finally also the left side gets a satisfying fit.

A140.jpg

The bonnet pieces where soon removed and sprayed with surfacer. Hopefully sanding and painting, at least the insides, tomorrow.

A141.jpg

• Like 6