Challenger 2 MBT - RAC

10 hours ago, Widow 65 said:

It was an adventure, I was 19 years old! Sorry no tips, society, people and the Army has changed immensely since "my days" in green. I'm afraid your on youre own. I've been out 10 years now.

Same age as me now :) wish I made the decision to go in sooner as soon as I turned 18 aha. I understand. Makes allot of sense. After you did your 22 did you retire fully or move into civvie street? 

• Like 1

Made some more progress this morning with the KFOR. 

Mainly focussed on the detail of the hull top, especially the 32 hinges and hooks. Managed also to fit the both halves of the hull together with relative ease. Which is lucky knowing some o the trumpeter kits' reputations. 

664e47f01db7e84a7cdc43f1bcb7d76c.jpg

31a949c3c0ef39ffb55d41eddd8b47d4.jpg

61a43d6e6c64f855c95831410f4a3c8f.jpg

Its interesting how some things in the kit are obviously inferior to the RFM kits(Today it was wrongly sized and positioned lamps), but there are also some pleasant surprises, such as all the mould artefacts being already trimmed off the inside of the hull. Something I had to do myself on the RFM.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, British Army Platforms said:

Made some more progress this morning with the KFOR. 

Mainly focussed on the detail of the hull top, especially the 32 hinges and hooks. Managed also to fit the both halves of the hull together with relative ease. Which is lucky knowing some o the trumpeter kits' reputations. 

664e47f01db7e84a7cdc43f1bcb7d76c.jpg

31a949c3c0ef39ffb55d41eddd8b47d4.jpg

61a43d6e6c64f855c95831410f4a3c8f.jpg

Its interesting how some things in the kit are obviously inferior to the RFM kits(Today it was wrongly sized and positioned lamps), but there are also some pleasant surprises, such as all the mould artefacts being already trimmed off the inside of the hull. Something I had to do myself on the RFM.

Looking good mate  -  "those grab handles"   they drove me nuts.

Erk.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, British Army Platforms said:

Same age as me now :) wish I made the decision to go in sooner as soon as I turned 18 aha. I understand. Makes allot of sense. After you did your 22 did you retire fully or move into civvie street? 

Ha! Did I retire fully 😅 I don't think anyone can retire at 40 unless they are very well off. I continue to work hard everyday and now work for SAAB in the live simulation field, so I still get my military fix, although its dwindling somewhat as each year passes, but more importantly I still get to climb all over tanks, warriors and anything else we fit our systems too.  Best thing is though that I go back to a warm bed every night and not the warm "back decks" of a chally 2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Widow 65 said:

Ha! Did I retire fully 😅 I don't think anyone can retire at 40 unless they are very well off. I continue to work hard everyday and now work for SAAB in the live simulation field, so I still get my military fix, although its dwindling somewhat as each year passes, but more importantly I still get to climb all over tanks, warriors and anything else we fit our systems too.  Best thing is though that I go back to a warm bed every night and not the warm "back decks" of a chally 2.

Sorry I meant to say retire fully from military 😂. As I’ve come across quite a few Capt / Adjutants (Retd) who are still part of regiments. 

Ah wow that must be amazing! What sort of kit to you fit? Is it all testing based and theory. 

Right now the Chally sounds more inviting 😂but I’m sure that will change with experience of both those sleeping situations aha.

• Like 1

Good news everyone, The dozer blade fits the RFM models so I think I'm certainly going ahead with sticking the dozer blade on the TES. This also suggests that out of the two vehicles (being focussed on urban fighting), the more armoured tank (TES) will now also have the means to clear paths, putting it at the front makes sense even more. Much like an iron fist of a sqd formation within the iron first of the UK Division ;)

Dozer blade down (Cant touch floor due to the lip/guard in front of the lamps on this model)

ae379ebee2bf896ac1b43d3d5aa74539.jpg

Dozer retracted

2e503a18a9535d4f5f18c2ac31b7fceb.jpg

Also I had to modify how (what I can only assume is) the hydraulic ram connects to the rig. I used a pin to go through a hole I made as the pins protruding from the model don't quite reach far enough to occupy both holes. You can see the redundant original pins and then the rod I've put in place to replace them, below: 

9524aee9209150311f33fc20912b9845.jpg

• Like 3

Here's the results of todays progress. 

I have managed to modify the loops on the trumpeter such that once the TES is built too, the dozer and amour can be changed out. (The standard RFM chally taking place for the TES to showcase this) The side armour and dozer was the main focus for today. 

c19fee1122462b91e1000e452f3eb3e3.jpg

5ba68982908f149f0012f34ba364c364.jpg

• Like 4

Progress by the end of today. 

af7d0378784fb72f4f41418247dfb187.jpg

Having done another hour today, I started the gun mount and turret. As you can see the barrel is made and fixed now onto the Turret. There were a few detials to add to the turret and I started making the mounted GPMG 6.75mm. 

c19c78f7ada63ff6e8989657b9c75460.jpg

The operators hatch was poorly moulded meaning that you have to close it and even then the hinges don't line up. So with some modification I have made it open-able and closable, With one shortfall, which I'm curious about if its something seen on the real CR2. In this model there is one option for the hatch to have bars around it. These prevent the hatch from closing all the way!! 

ba2ebd5b343fb70fa29aba6eafd328a3.jpg

38b47c639f33cdbc0378a174b67fe0b7.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, British Army Platforms said:

Good news everyone, The dozer blade fits the RFM models so I think I'm certainly going ahead with sticking the dozer blade on the TES. This also suggests that out of the two vehicles (being focussed on urban fighting), the more armoured tank (TES) will now also have the means to clear paths, putting it at the front makes sense even more. Much like an iron fist of a sqd formation within the iron first of the UK Division ;)

Dozer blade down (Cant touch floor due to the lip/guard in front of the lamps on this model)

ae379ebee2bf896ac1b43d3d5aa74539.jpg

Dozer retracted

2e503a18a9535d4f5f18c2ac31b7fceb.jpg

Also I had to modify how (what I can only assume is) the hydraulic ram connects to the rig. I used a pin to go through a hole I made as the pins protruding from the model don't quite reach far enough to occupy both holes. You can see the redundant original pins and then the rod I've put in place to replace them, below: 

9524aee9209150311f33fc20912b9845.jpg

Excellent work  and good mend on the Piston pivit join,   the blade really adds to it  makes it all the more purposeful.

Erk.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, British Army Platforms said:

Progress by the end of today. 

af7d0378784fb72f4f41418247dfb187.jpg

Having done another hour today, I started the gun mount and turret. As you can see the barrel is made and fixed now onto the Turret. There were a few detials to add to the turret and I started making the mounted GPMG 6.75mm. 

c19c78f7ada63ff6e8989657b9c75460.jpg

The operators hatch was poorly moulded meaning that you have to close it and even then the hinges don't line up. So with some modification I have made it open-able and closable, With one shortfall, which I'm curious about if its something seen on the real CR2. In this model there is one option for the hatch to have bars around it. These prevent the hatch from closing all the way!! 

ba2ebd5b343fb70fa29aba6eafd328a3.jpg

38b47c639f33cdbc0378a174b67fe0b7.jpg

That does seem a bit odd  with the hatch cover not being able to clear the framework all the way to close.

Erk.

• Confused 1

I was wonder what the correct model paint colour is  for the track connection parts  - they look to be a kind of  beige/sand colour  with  grey/black track pads?

Any ideas?

Erk.

14 hours ago, ERK said:

I was wonder what the correct model paint colour is  for the track connection parts  - they look to be a kind of  beige/sand colour  with  grey/black track pads?

Any ideas?

Erk.

It depends of the tank scheme I think. As I have seen modern chally’s with the dessert like sand colour on the body, and the links match. If your going to weather them as well I’d focus on just covering them in mud aha. Usually they are a greasy rusted black I have found though, with the pads being a black rubber colour obviously. 

Berlin Brigade Camo Choosing 

Since the conversion table I used to get the colours suggested by RFM for a Berlin camo, did not convert to Tamiya. I’ll need some expert advice to help me choose which will best suit the schemes colours: 

spacer.png

please reply with the Names of the cans ie TS-52 for example, I personally think brown should be TS-64 (NATO Brown) and the grey AS-25 (Dark Ghost)

But your opinions are more founded than mine...

The blue Grey colour:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Browns: 

spacer.png

(@FrancisGL I know you have done a Berlin camo so your opinion would be great) 

• Like 1

It depends of the tank scheme I think. As I have seen modern chally’s with the dessert like sand colour on the body, and the links match. If your going to weather them as well I’d focus on just covering them in mud aha. Usually they are a greasy rusted black I have found though, with the pads being a black rubber colour obviously. 

Thanks mate.

Erk.

Finished the Trumppy. And glad there’s no more to cement together before I get paints - as I ran out in perfect timing! Will be adding some extra thin Tamiya to my next basket. 

Anyway, here is the model finished - dry fitted of course ready to be broken down for painting later. 
spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Did you look through Wayne's Berlin build? There are some good shots of the blue grey and brown. (Looking at a bottle in my stash Ocean Grey 2 is the nearest imo.)

Hi Stef, thanks for the suggestion, I think I agree with you after studying some more. 

No I don’t believe I have seen Wayne’s before. Thanks I’ll check it out now! 

@Stef N. thanks for sharing @diablo rsv's amazing build of the MK.10 Chief with the memorising Berlin Camo. After viewing this extreme attention to detail I believe I owe a great deal more time to the trumpeter chally I have just put together. Since I'll be waiting on deciding which paints to order and more painful than watching paint dry - wait for their arrival once ordered- I shall use this time to clean up the Trumpy Challenger to the best of my abilities. Taking time and care with the RFM TES that will become a Berlin Brigade homage too, wont be as difficult due to the supreme quality. However, I will take my time and really practice some good patience. Hopefully I can do the models some justice therefore and make some pretty unique and cool looking Urban Street busters. 

Also extremely excited to know when you start your TES @diablo rsv. Even if its years away as it seems most skilled modellers like yourself have great stashes to work through, Ill be waiting to follow the build on that! 

Edited by British Army Platforms
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the very kind feedback on my Chieftain Mk.10  BAP, it's great to know enjoyed the WIP and that it has helped in some way. 

I have been watching your progress with your Challenger 2s and your making a grand job. I do have the RFM one in the pending pile so it's nice to know what I'm letting myself in for. I have the photoetch addon for the TES version and me and photoetch don't really get on so it got put to the back of the queue. My AFV stash isn't really that big.  I am working through a representation of as many  British AFV's as I can and I have restricted myself to mostly tanks at the moment followed by light tanks and then armoured cars etc. I'm almost there with the main tanks so I will have to bite the bullet with the Challenger 2 at some point in the near future.

I love the look of the Chally 2 in the Berlin Brigade and although it may look daunting its really not as difficult as it looks so I would say go for it. 

As regards to the paints for it I would recommend the Ammo Mig set, it's quite inexpensive and sprayed quite nicely although like many water based acrylics they can be a little delicate if handled to much before protecting with a clear coat.  Although I thought the Blue Grey was a little light for the original Berlin scheme it looks bang on for the Challenger as in the photo below.

9NfTMIOh.jpg

Wayne

• Like 4

16 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Thanks for the very kind feedback on my Chieftain Mk.10  BAP, it's great to know enjoyed the WIP and that it has helped in some way. 

I have been watching your progress with your Challenger 2s and your making a grand job. I do have the RFM one in the pending pile so it's nice to know what I'm letting myself in for. I have the photoetch addon for the TES version and me and photoetch don't really get on so it got put to the back of the queue. My AFV stash isn't really that big.  I am working through a representation of as many  British AFV's as I can and I have restricted myself to mostly tanks at the moment followed by light tanks and then armoured cars etc. I'm almost there with the main tanks so I will have to bite the bullet with the Challenger 2 at some point in the near future.

I love the look of the Chally 2 in the Berlin Brigade and although it may look daunting its really not as difficult as it looks so I would say go for it. 

As regards to the paints for it I would recommend the Ammo Mig set, it's quite inexpensive and sprayed quite nicely although like many water based acrylics they can be a little delicate if handled to much before protecting with a clear coat.  Although I thought the Blue Grey was a little light for the original Berlin scheme it looks bang on for the Challenger as in the photo below.

9NfTMIOh.jpg

Wayne

Not at all Wayne, I cant begin to describe how motivating your work Is for my builds. I hope in some good time I will continue this little hobby and gain some skill similar to that of yours after lots of practice. For now I think once I have these last 2 challengers done I'll stop at the 4 models I have got. I haven't got loads of cash and time left before hopefully I'm nearer the real kit, being thrown about at Sandhurst which I'm far too excited to be doing. Ill certainly continue this after well settled in my junior career however. As a result I have been using the most (short term) cost effective way of painting right now which is with Tamiya Spray cans. I do one day want to invest in a good airbrush and learn that art too. As much as id like to use the Mig colours I'll need to stick to spray cans however. Unless Mig do acrylic rattle cans too? 

Did you get the PE kit that RFM advertise on their website? The one to replace the bar armour? Was thinking about it myself but too much PE would have put me off on my 4th ever model! I Think your goal of having every MBT from the British Army is something I'd definitely like to do in the future. Love the big bertha as much as todays Chally. Hopefully by the time I get round to that we will have another British made MBT rather than buying into a foreign one. Who knows what will be the future of RAC and their beastly tanks in the long term.

Thanks for your words about the camo, I think with some good masking tape, allot of time and patience, it shouldn't be too bad. I just love the camo as it is, but think I see it as a bit of right of passage now too having seen what others have said about it😂.

Thanks again or you suggestions and help  and most importantly for being a good modeller to aspire to be like. My models have and will improve as a result. 

All the best.

BAP 

• Like 1