StuG.III F/8 Early Production - Dragon 1/35 - update 03/05/21

PlaStix

On 4/25/2021 at 6:55 PM, PlaStix said:

Interesting idea about using CA glue on the thread. I will have a go at that at some point. I wish I'd seen your post before I did the fencing on my base this morning! 

Hi Stix,

Thanks, I've been worse, but not so consistently lol.

Nothing surprising to see in your last update, just the usual superb base and the 'finished' article beautifully photographed.  The photo from the rear and the one from the front are my favourites, with the fence helping to give that depth of field, the perspective. But the side elevations (Technical drawing term) are great too.

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't mention the CA'd 'thread' in time. Well, I did, several years ago when I made this barbed wire fence in my Ever Evolvin' dio WIP. Serves you right for either not seeing it in the first place, or having forgotten it. lol

I suspect some might find this useful.................

So, I use braided fishing line, several strands of Dacron or similar, twisted together and is VERY strong. I can't remember what the breaking strain of this stuff here is, but I just bought 150m of a more modern braided line of 0.06mm diameter which has a breaking strain of 9lb. !!!!! So, you can basically do anything with it and not have to worry about it snapping. The 'trick' is to work out which bits of the 'barbed wire' to apply CA to and in what order. Here it was a bit more complicated because I 'doubled-up' the line to get the braided barbed wire look and then decided to thread the barbed wire through holes in the fence posts! And whilst not perfect, the stuff is JUST ABOUT okay for using as the barbs themselves.

nZgcZY5.jpg

jDCfvE4.jpg

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Hi @Geo1966 , @Hewy, @Retired Bob, @vytautas , and @Badder. Thank you very much for your kind comments.

@Badder – not a problem about CA’d thread – your barbed wire and associated scenics look very impressive.

Well, my project is now complete and in the Gallery. Since my post above, I have done a bit more work on the base including adding some MiniArt signs. I also had a hunt through the stash for a couple of additional figures.

This project has taken me a bit longer than I intended but real-life circumstances have intruded on my modelling - as I think it has for a lot of people over the past year.

A few photos here:

51153501839_d283a64b1a_b.jpg

51153817210_89f04fb37b_b.jpg

51153816885_8349caea9c_b.jpg

…….and a couple with a sky background – taken on my Spitfire display base which has a sky photo back:

51153508999_c31c21abaa_b.jpg

51152956983_44ab7b611a_b.jpg

The Ready For Inspection photos of the StuG can be found HERE

The Vignette RFI photos can be found HERE

I’d like to thank everyone who took the time to comment and offer suggestions in my build thread.

Good luck to everyone else who is still working on their builds.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

Well that has turned out fantastic Stix, as was expected.

The diorama sets off the Stug perfectly and is a work of art in itself and your photography with the sky background is very effective indeed. The mud and weathering on both the Stug and the kit strapped to the back is very realistic.

Very well done mate.👍

Superb model and diorama Stix, I echo what others have said and can only hope my models turn out half as good.

Make sure those panzergrenadiers do not stop to pick the flowers. :whistle:

• PlaStix changed the title to StuG.III F/8 Early Production - Dragon 1/35 - update 03/05/21

Hi Stix,

Absolutely superb, so much detail, wonderfully done. A lot of learning for anyone following this build.

Ray

On 5/5/2021 at 4:19 PM, Ray_W said:

A lot of learning for anyone following this build

Ray is certainly right. Fantastic work Stix.