1/35 PzIII Ausf H DAK

bigfoot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 4:46 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi. I hope you are well. I was just wondering if you have had chance to do any more on your rather lovely build?

Kind regards, 

Stix

Hi Stix, thanks for checking in. Been a while since I updated but I have not been idle!

wheels have all been assembled and magic tracks started.

Turret is almost complete. The gun mantlet fitness off, the rectangular plate that fits to the front slots into place but the walls of the boxy section are thicker at the top than the bottom, meaning the plate doesn’t align properly. I had to thin the top wall to make it fit.

oublTBZ.jpg

goRleeb.jpg

And fixed with the resin barrel in place.

PUhLHQF.jpg

The turret lower ring had some serious injection pin towers as someone called them that needed removing and filling. On the turret roof were further pin marks that needed removing.

VJpdC8q.jpg

The turret roof had some further pin marks that needed filling. I’m going to have the turret doors open so I’ve painted the inside of the turret, nothing fancy. Base cost of Tamiya gloss white with a couple of drops of deck tan, brown enamel wash in the recesses and some light chipping. Also painted the commanders seat.

gWsUsFO.jpg

twZAQgN.jpg

sxgDNR9.jpg

Shame dragon don’t provide the inner MG details although I didn’t use the inner bits from the hull MG so I might try to fashion something from those to fit.

Next job is to close up the turret, finish the magic tracks and assemble the fenders then it’s ready for painting.

Thanks for stopping in.

• Like 9

Good afternoon. Great to see you have been making progress with this build and it looks like you are doing an excellent job of it too!! I like what you have done with interior. Odd about the front section of the mantlet not fitting correctly - but it looks like you sorted it well. And I do like your replacement barrel. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interior looks great. As you say it is strange Dragon havent included the coaxial mg and the gun sight, saying that very little can be seen even with all the hatches open.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Interior looks great. As you say it is strange Dragon havent included the coaxial mg and the gun sight, saying that very little can be seen even with all the hatches open.

Dragon seem to include a full and detailed hull m/g but only supply a muzzle piece for the co-axial m/g on most of their panzer 1/35 kits. :shrug:

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Dragon seem to include a full and detailed hull m/g but only supply a muzzle piece for the co-axial m/g on most of their panzer 1/35 kits. :shrug:

I can understand the muzzle for the coaxial as very little can be seen but the complete hull one seams unnecessary...

Then again who knows how Dragons mind works!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Then again who knows how Dragons mind works!

Not at all easy for us mere mortals, as bad as trying to understand how SWMBO's mind works. :shrug:

• Haha 2

On 3/9/2021 at 1:00 PM, PlaStix said:

Good afternoon. Great to see you have been making progress with this build and it looks like you are doing an excellent job of it too!! I like what you have done with interior. Odd about the front section of the mantlet not fitting correctly - but it looks like you sorted it well. And I do like your replacement barrel. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards, 

Stix

Thanks Stix. Yes coming along now, spent last night assembling the magic tracks which I quite enjoy, I think they are great tracks, bar the pin marks on the inner face. Interestingly I had not seen any build reviews of this kit that mention the off barrel mantlet area.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:49 AM, Jasper dog said:

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Jasper. It is strange, although you can actually see quite a lot through the open side doors, I wish they’d put a bit more into the inside especially with the effort they’ve made with the gun breach. I’ve got a DAK J in the stash, when it comes to that I will probably scratch build more of an interior.

18 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Nice progress with the turret
Have to confess, for my build, I loped of those towers, and left the divots in the roof, because, once complete, nobody will be looking that close.

Cheers Robert, if I wasn’t opening the doors I wouldn’t have bothered. I debated whether to bother with the ones on the underside of the roof but as I needed to do the lower ones I thought what the hell, in for a penny, in for a pound!

18 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

12 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Not at all easy for us mere mortals, as bad as trying to understand how SWMBO's mind works. :shrug:

Yes weird when you will never see the hull one but with open hatches the turret one is an obvious omission.

I’m not sure anyone will ever figure out how SWMBO’s minds work!

Not much left of the build, turret is closed up and one fender assembled. I’ve got to scratch a rack for some Jerry cans on one fender as all DAK seemed to have them plus add some spare wheels. Tracks are nearly complete, a couple more evenings work then it will be on to the fun part, painting!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Build is nearly done. Tracks are all assembled, wheels and tracks are still loose for painting.

PQzPExu.jpg

Fenders are almost built. The DAK rearranged their fender stowage to carry additional Jerry cans. I still need to scratch build a long box for the left fender but I’ve scratch built a rack for the Jerry cans on the right fender and added a spare wheel. More spare wheels will be added to the back of the left fender.

Q1QmQtp.jpg

FmVHtQm.jpg

The DAK often carried spare track pins wedged in the air intake grills. Dragon supply these in the kit so I added some and a bit of damage to the mesh.

oH4l8JI.jpg

Once I’ve got the stowage on the fenders finished I can seal it all up and it’ll be ready for painting. :)

• Like 9

Excellent progress - great to see this project is still moving forward. Great attention to detail as well with the PE rack and the pins. :thumbsup: Good to see the tracks together too.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 3/21/2021 at 9:08 AM, Jasper dog said:

Neat work with the etch and useful info on the track pins too btw.

Starting to take shape now.

Atb

Thanks Jasper, almost all built now.

On 3/21/2021 at 6:11 PM, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress - great to see this project is still moving forward. Great attention to detail as well with the PE rack and the pins. :thumbsup: Good to see the tracks together too.

Kind regards,

Stix

thanks Stix, yep still progressing.

The main build is now done, I’ve got a few little details to add, including wiring for lights, spare track bracket on the front a few bits on the fenders. There’s a couple of bits of PE that should go on the inside of the front fenders that I realised should have gone on before the extra armour but I neglected to do it when I should have so I need to figure out how to get them on now!

The vehicle I’m building (‘red 6’), as with most PzIIIs of the regiment, had a storage box on the left fender replacing the tools and small box normally there which were relocated. I’ve scratch built the box with a few PE details from a left over panther set.

8sMy6Ye.jpg

And with it installed on the fender along with the Jerry can rack on the other fender. Fenders now installed on the hull along with engine deck and fighting compartment.

nvFVhCW.jpg

qfQe5zR.jpg

• Like 11

14 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Thanks Jasper, almost all built now.

thanks Stix, yep still progressing.

The main build is now done, I’ve got a few little details to add, including wiring for lights, spare track bracket on the front a few bits on the fenders. There’s a couple of bits of PE that should go on the inside of the front fenders that I realised should have gone on before the extra armour but I neglected to do it when I should have so I need to figure out how to get them on now!

The vehicle I’m building (‘red 6’), as with most PzIIIs of the regiment, had a storage box on the left fender replacing the tools and small box normally there which were relocated. I’ve scratch built the box with a few PE details from a left over panther set.

8sMy6Ye.jpg

And with it installed on the fender along with the Jerry can rack on the other fender. Fenders now installed on the hull along with engine deck and fighting compartment.

nvFVhCW.jpg

qfQe5zR.jpg

Fantastic build Bigfoot, I've really enjoyed reading through it and I think there are a few ideas I might borrow for my own DAK Pz III. I'm trying to work out whether I've got any plastic rod of an appropriate diameter to make some more track pins.

Hi Bigfoot. Great to see it's progressing and I'm really impressed with the additions you are making! This is going to be a stunner of a build! Awesome modelling!

Kind regards,

Stix

On 3/27/2021 at 7:06 AM, WarhammerAdjacent said:

Fantastic build Bigfoot, I've really enjoyed reading through it and I think there are a few ideas I might borrow for my own DAK Pz III. I'm trying to work out whether I've got any plastic rod of an appropriate diameter to make some more track pins.

Thanks WA, your build is looking good too. If you want to know how big the dragon track pins are, let me know and I can measure for you.

16 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Bigfoot. Great to see it's progressing and I'm really impressed with the additions you are making! This is going to be a stunner of a build! Awesome modelling!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, it’s the most scratch building I’ve done in a while and particularly pleased with how the box came out, especially that it was square! 🤣

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 6:38 PM, Jasper dog said:

Stowage case and Jerry can rack look great!

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl, first time I’ve tried to make anything like either and both came out well.

I’m calling the build part done now. A number of tools and wheels/tracks left separate for painting but other than that everything is on.

I added a spare track bracket to the front from some scrap PE and left over magic tracks. Another spare wheel added to the rear of the left fender. As I put other stowage in their location, I added a loose S hook to the front towing bracket. I might add one to the rear too if I can find the other one but it’s gone AWOL!

WCxzA4t.jpg

UokupDg.jpg

YNdEah6.jpg

Dragon supply some nice preformed brass wiring for the front lights. Unfortunately these seem to have been formed based on a different version without the extra armour plates so didn’t fit well. I ended up making my own from copper wire.

That’s the build complete, on to the painting!

• Like 7

Good morning. Well, what can I say? That really is looking stunning and, as I have mentioned before, your additional work is really adding to the overall appearance. Fantastic progress. I'm looking forward to seeing it with some paint going on.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Well painting has begun in earnest. First an undercoat of Tamiya German grey.

HYgDVX4.jpg

Then the tropical scheme applied, base layer followed by a fading layer then the camo applied over the top. Worn effects was sprayed over the German grey so the tropical layer will be worn back.

XmAE0Ji.jpg

M7OYHbr.jpg

And wheels, lots of them!

0WziO7q.jpg

I started the chipping/wear on the Jerry cans to practice and get the hang of how much rubbing was needed. Turns out, quite a bit! This was over two layers of worn effects.

JNFeAJf.jpg

Now onto the job of wearing back the camo on the tank. It’s not going to be that heavy, just some wear to edges of the panels/doors/high traffic areas.

• Like 9

Those jerry cans look good, you don't  mention using any hairspray or chipping fluid so have you just rubbed the paint away?  I have quite a few to paint for my StuGs so I'll try some different methods.

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Those jerry cans look good, you don't  mention using any hairspray or chipping fluid so have you just rubbed the paint away?  I have quite a few to paint for my StuGs so I'll try some different methods.

Thanks Bob. I used AK worn effects chipping fluid with Tamiya  paints. I put two coats of worn effects down but not sure if I used enough or the paint on top was too thick as it took a lot of rubbing to get it it come away and in some places it wore down to the plastic so I need to do some touch ups.

• Like 1

Very nice work on your build. The paint looks to be going on well and the chipping effects on the jerry cans are fantastic - very realistic. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Very nice work on your build. The paint looks to be going on well and the chipping effects on the jerry cans are fantastic - very realistic. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. Unfortunately the chipping fluid hasn’t worked on the panzer as I think I left it too long and the paint has cured as nothing is coming off. Will have to resort to sponge and brush chipping :rant::wall:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1