1/35 PzIII Ausf H DAK

bigfoot

Chipping done, decals on, most details painted and varnished. Not particularly happy with how the chipping turned out, I used Vallejo German grey instead of Tamiya’s which I did the undercoat with and it’s a lot darker than Tamiya’s one, looking almost black. Hopefully it will blend in once weathering is done.

CDasJ4t.jpg

7bPJAQt.jpg

ipdIzRm.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Not particularly happy with how the chipping turned out, I used Vallejo German grey instead of Tamiya’s which I did the undercoat with and it’s a lot darker than Tamiya’s one, looking almost black. Hopefully it will blend in once weathering is done.

It's looking really good bigfoot but if the Vallejo German grey still looks too dark after weathering I would go over the chips with the Tamiya paint, it will only bug the heck out of you every time you look at it if you don't. 🙄

• Thanks 1

Hi bigfoot. I think the chipping looks good in the photos but, as Bob mentions, you need to be happy with it. Hope you manage to get it looking how you want it too. Everything else is looking very smart. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly there, should just sneak this one in before the deadline!

3whB2dz.jpg

Tracks on, details all added and most of dust done. Just got to add a bit of metal graphite, finish off the dust and add some oil stains and it’s good to go.

Jerry cans ready for adding.

Eu4bzLA.jpg

• Like 5

And finished. :yahoo:I will add a tank commander at some point once I source a suitable one. Overall I enjoyed this build despite some frustrations with the build instructions. And a few firsts, some simple scratch building and using oils for some of the dust layer. The tracks fought me to the end, having painted them they broke into several pieces and somehow managed to loose one link. Bit of a blessing in disguise as I added the return rollers too soon and couldn’t get the tracks on with them in place. Also discovered the jack (which o left separate for painting) didn’t fit in the space left for it so I had to remove the clamps from it and leave them empty having added the large box. Might add the jack loose at some stage once I touch it up and if I can find a suitable place to put it. Very happy with the finish, especially on the Jerry cans and the spare tracks. First model I’ve finished in a long time and first GB I’ve completed! 

on to the pictures:

wrE4OGr.jpg

96mGmu0.jpg

XYlXZu1.jpg

zmcSqhx.jpg

Y9Vb3wv.jpg

EbdWpS4.jpg

jwk53Of.jpg

• Like 6

Well done on all counts Bigfoot, a build you can be proud of. Thanks for taking part and choosing this to be your first step into the world of GBs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

First model I’ve finished in a long time and first GB I’ve completed! 

Well that's fantastic news to start with - but you've done an absolutely brilliant job with your first finish for ages and in a GB too!! Your finish and weathering are some of the most impressive I have seen - those jerry cans alone are a work of art!! Very well done! :thumbsup:

And thank you very much for taking part in this STGB.

Kind regards,

Stix

1 hour ago, bigfoot said:

I added the return rollers too soon and couldn’t get the tracks on with them in place.

I found out about that the hard way as well, what I do now is to just add the inner roller in place and only add the outer roller once the track is in position, that's if I'm not building the running gear as a one piece removable assembly. :winkgrin:

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Well done on all counts Bigfoot, a build you can be proud of. Thanks for taking part and choosing this to be your first step into the world of GBs.

Thanks Ozzy. Second step into GB world, first one didn’t end that well, still sat in the shelf of doom!

15 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Well that's fantastic news to start with - but you've done an absolutely brilliant job with your first finish for ages and in a GB too!! Your finish and weathering are some of the most impressive I have seen - those jerry cans alone are a work of art!! Very well done! :thumbsup:

And thank you very much for taking part in this STGB.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers for the kind words a Stix. Thanks for running the group build, there’s been a lot of awesome models built.

15 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I found out about that the hard way as well, what I do now is to just add the inner roller in place and only add the outer roller once the track is in position, that's if I'm not building the running gear as a one piece removable assembly. :winkgrin:

Yeah, on the next one I might assemble the wheels and tracks as one removable unit as you say to keep it a bit more rigid.

• Like 3