Vertical Lightning

1 hour ago, Paulaero said:

That's a great fit for the canopy and great  Idea for the visor, not so sure about the red cross, looks a bit first aid .....:clap2:

I have to agree with the red cross, in retrospect I would have masked the cross and made it smaller and finer in the bar thickness. Too late now......

Well I have decided it is not too late so canopy has been removed and helmet repainted white. This time I will mask or use fine decal to get the red cross.

Good to have someone looking over your shoulder during the build 😀

Build looks great so far! Like a vertical Lightning; it's how they are supposed to be (apart from that rare Lightning F1 hanging up at Cosford, could they put up a different variant on the ceiling instead grump grump)

21 hours ago, Paulaero said:

Did the red cross ever feature on the bone domes ?? Don't forget the upper seat firing handle too..... 

I'm glad I replaced the red cross it is far closer to the one i have seen in a photo of the time.

Firing handle also fitted, I will have been gutted to realise this was missing later in the build, thanks again Paulearo.

y4mgUpfcZtxcOz6LwkW2nd4CHqjvfg5tsRtQQbhC

• Like 3

Sorry to burst your bubble but the canopy frame we quite substantial on the lightning, the two main panels were double glazed Perspex with silica gel type driers mounted on the rear part of the canopy. The upper panel was different this was thick glass and had a bluey/green tint to it, it as very much like and extension of the front centre windscreen.

Great work on the burners, used to love watching early evening/night take offs Reheat glowing light purple.

23 hours ago, tweeky said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but the canopy frame we quite substantial on the lightning, the two main panels were double glazed Perspex with silica gel type driers mounted on the rear part of the canopy. The upper panel was different this was thick glass and had a bluey/green tint to it, it as very much like and extension of the front centre windscreen.

I agree the canopy frame is very heavy and hope to maintain the frame thickness. I rubbed down the canopy frames on the clear plastic moulding as I thought they were too pronounced, and in real life will stick up about an inch. This also allowed me to rub down and polish the canopy fully. One of the things i want to capture is the flat slab of glass at the front that blends into the nose fuselage without a step.

From photographs I can see the top panel of glass is tinted, however some photo's look like the front section is also tinted, but this might be someting to do with the way the pictures were taken or the thickness of the glass slab. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alclad polished Aluminium sprayed on the nose ring then the ballance of the Lightning sprayed Aluminium, The leading edge then had a coat of polished Aluminium over the base Aluminium. Not quite as much contrast as I expected, but I think its ok as the original aircraft was about 5 years old in 1967 and still quite clean. I only hope when gloss layer added the effect is not lost. I've been altering the coloured filters on the exhausts and reducing the light intensity to improve the look.

y4mSbhxucT6A2zkigKR-_GiUa_hLZjkMKsJ76LPu

• Like 9

I like your interpretation of the Mk2 ‘bone dome’. An ex-RAF Pilot I knew in the UK called it his space helmet and said it was extremely heavy.

John

PS I believe the yellow bar was called the ‘G’ stop bar.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've added more shades of Alclad Aluminium, and finished with a few coats of Alclad aqua gloss. The acrylic gloss coat went on well sprayed at 35 psi with an initial white haze on the surface. After it dried nice and clear noticed two fingerprints in the middle of the upper wing surface, so I wiped the gloss off with IPA and resprayed and was much improved. Now leaving it for a few days to fully harden and cure so can then do the decals.

y4mRW4Ngm8Acq-_aYt_B9a5njNJVFBcXaV1anLdJ

y4mSdFzzYDy9EXxy8iA2bv2mAURaH8GCVcwGnkIe

y4mI19yfT_Nz8OuFH2yebjZLtf8BKE240qQHIj8N

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Almost to the final stage. I've tried a pin wash but was not happy with the results so have gone for a Flory wash mixture of black and concrete to give a mid gray effect. Now I have committed myself just hope it works.

y4mmHROCfSBBB0n9nCDFnk0AFKgJWUaJw_1DIdEH

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, The west wing said:

I've found interdental cleaning brushes good for cleaning up the Flory wash in the difficult bits. The soft rubber tips work well without damaging the surface.

y4m8i8fMoYWCq_EnUq2RR59HKpFBNiyST5ctTC9d

that's a good tip

thanks for sharing 

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

Just finished off the Lightning. A few last issues sorted out. One the position of the missiles on the launchers going by the kit appeared too far back, the second masking over the blue tint on the canopy left a sticky residue. This was cleaned off with IPA and re sprayed.

A big thanks to all who have given feedback during the build and Nathan for the 226 OCU decals.

Finished item going in the RFI section.

• Like 2