Vertical Lightning

After a very long gap from modeling Vertical take off aircraft I have returned to build a Airfix 1/48 Lightning, What is unusual this time is I have had to start with the base first then build the kit. It will be a week or so before moving on with the build as I am waiting for fresh paints, bits for the compressor and a few improvements to the kit. Progress so far......

y4mHgiUqf47dW4H1qF2YNcWnGnOO4-fEqly1DG2E

Edited by The west wing
lost photo link
  • Like 25

Neil,

The perspex rod was turned for a parrallel length to fit up the exhaust and then tapered on the outside diameter to simulate gas expansion.  The bottom end roughed up and polished to simulate the heat haze, the inside is bored to a taper, to fit a pen light and individual perspex diamonds inserted. Can you tell I have time on my hands at the moment.

I'm waiting on coloured filters for an orange/purple look.

Ian

• Like 9

The Aires cockpit arrived and I am very impressed with the level of detail its a shame I just can't get it to fit. I have removed the moulding block so the floor is so thin you can see through it and removed all lumps and bumps on the kit canopy sides. I do think I might have missed something or assembled/positioned the inlet incorrectly as there is a large gap where the radar dome meets the front wheel well.

y4m9BrnhDVYpLPBkoFuQHBqQrvL91CEjQfxRz977

The gap where the square wheel well meets the curved raydome support.

y4m0uiCHkuquFaEvA50LOl7RLfePF1e4FMO1eLOB

So is this normal or have I made it wrong and that is why the cockpit won't fit?

Edited by The west wing
lost photo link
  • Like 1

I found a picture on this site that shows the same problem with the gap in the wheel well so I will just fill this and carry on. The colour filters have arrrived and I have tried to find a combination that works and will leave this side of the build now and get on with the Lightning.  The perspex tubes holding the two pen torches slide up the exhaust and fit through a bulkhead made from the kit engine bulkhead with 2 holes machined 17mm apart the same as the exhaust pipes, so keeping the perspex tubes parrallel.

y4mdg_lNtHvNxE8mTnOnrNYdpqdrl-2Xvuf9gBzX

y4m7vysjgZDFea7YOkbcMGaL9WP_zZ0gZ4FN0cI5

y4mPJtCbTFr-flKZAcP7nNw0axopfszqYLEM2SqU

y4mnsB9lRMkvrbOYrLJ92BmEg76uvGr7SR3LL8XW

Edited by The west wing
lost photo link
  • Like 26

Hi,

A bit more progress, I tried the Airies cockpit and thought the fit was poor, and as the dashboard was for a later mark I decided to purchase the CMK version.

These are the cockpits side by side, Airies, CMK and original Airfix

y4mlE7N44MjBHZrB5cOvgL-leOxQDlHj7CYAmgPy

You might see the Airies and Airfix sets are taller than the CMK, this is very clear when compairing the seats.

y4mT7jrJiSteT-a2_McCQ413a-RF-l19bizhGo35

From side views of the aircraft cockpit in real life the top of the seat appears to be inline with the top of the front of the canopy when the back is open.

This is the CMK seat in place.

y4mUuB8UM7p46wmyXx3wYZHbAA_oIm1RPkwnrncU

This is the Airies seat

y4m2TaIi28UMHElAPr4uOpjC4WwOXb0UkoVGCDvC

So I have decided to go with the Airies set as looks more accurate and the casting sharper. It needed a bit of triming to fit and the sides of the Airfix kit needed thining and chamfering where the sloped bit is behind the seat. What I might use from the CMK set is the early dashboard and backing film. Still waiting on some warm weather to start spraying.

• Like 5

The cockpit is now in and work started on the pilot. As the Lightning is in flight the pilot has been altered to remove the visor over the helmet and the oxygen mask fitted to the face. Work has stopped for the moment as waiting on a delivery of white paint.

A big thank you to a fellow Lightning enthusiast Nathan who has supplied me with the round tail markings for 226 OCU, as the plan is to finish the Lightning as an aircraft at the Coltishall Battle of Britian Display in 1966.

y4msxVnYOcS_ikHSFGz38RPW6TK4qXn3Y-rcLI9q

y4m1ZtDiufQG7050iebhtizAWxJvBf9oxjzcgLjs

• Like 5

That's not a "real" Lightning  !!!

Fabulous work on those reheats, they will be extremely eye-catching.

Not that you will want to hear it but you won't see much of the cockpit with the canopy and pilot in place but the seat makes a massive difference over the kit's rendition.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paulaero said:

Not that you will want to hear it but you won't see much of the cockpit with the canopy and pilot in place but the seat makes a massive difference over the kit's rendition.

At the moment it's hard to see anything. The kit canopy frame is quite pronounced so I have rubbed it down, and when fitted on the fueslage will polish it back up again. What do people use to fix canopys now solvent or something else?

y4mSOK9rZiK1Vn_7kXhLViGntiG4aQ6VsmoPuydN

21 minutes ago, exdraken said:

there is also a Neomega resin one... just saying ;)

Found out about that one after I had purchaced the Airies and CMK, it sounds even better. But I did think it might be a problem getting it past the security checks at our front door.......

• Haha 1

On 24/02/2021 at 18:48, Paulaero said:

Then dip in Klear or Tamiya gloss clear to get the clarity back

I used the Alclad polishing cloth to remove the scratches and then as Paulaero suggested dipped in Klear (after a wash in IPA). This is the first time I have tried dipping a canopy in Klear and am very happy with the results.

y4mlbddRvgYWkjuxBJq3G0QqVaNnTNblaHnL5COX

The Humbrol paints turned up and are as some have said different to what they were years ago. I found they have a higher viscosity in the tin but went on well and gave a matt finish and dried quite quick. The pilot is now ready to go in the cockpit, and just before fitting the canopy I will fit the helmet visor ( with rose tint!!!) in the down position and fit the yellow lever on the helmet.

y4m1KGaZfBfhVBbf8KAkRu-uh3BVApuyjIX4eKnJ

• Like 3

To make the visor I formed some clear plastic (CMK bubble packaging) over a 6mm ball bearing.

y4mtO7rKcLpN0wcOJWFgaE6Q6FSGBuwjvhgCztoC

I then cut a section and formed the curved bottom edge of the visor and gave it a rose tint.

y4mxgGRCTXo3XKnvsvgcofO7JA286gg-VvKblQU2

Visor and yellow visor bar fitted to the helmet.

y4msaSy6uGiKMl4zne8wLn-K72zIyjKoMhpP-WyF

y4mt0BuCIV5WxCDr4c3IET-gD9hKoCsk97djLQkM

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I'm worried that you have not allowed for the thickness of the canopy plastic over the seat/pilot and the canopy won't sit down properly

Looks like it will not be a problem. Plan B was flame out one engine, no canopy and seat ejecting.

y4mEu67JG7gl9lReMenEQ5cvrvZnCbruPYvwUQ0K

• Like 8
  • Haha 1