1/72nd Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc, 603 Sqn, Op Calendar, Malta 1942

Another terrific looking VC, Tony.  Your reprofiling of the spinner makes it look much more accurate then originally provided and I see you have added a filler cap.  It's a bit of a curate's egg, this kit.  Odd omissions and both spinners look incorrect to me, but great overall shape and nice detail.  I don't know if you've noticed it on your builds but my kit (just one so far) which is awaiting its build has crisp panel lines on the fuselage but slightly soft ones on the wings.  Nevertheless I'm really chuffed that Airfix produced this kit and no doubt I'll be getting more as your collection so far shows the myriad of schemes used on the type. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Another terrific looking VC, Tony.  Your reprofiling of the spinner makes it look much more accurate then originally provided and I see you have added a filler cap.  It's a bit of a curate's egg, this kit.  Odd omissions and both spinners look incorrect to me, but great overall shape and nice detail.  I don't know if you've noticed it on your builds but my kit (just one so far) which is awaiting its build has crisp panel lines on the fuselage but slightly soft ones on the wings.  Nevertheless I'm really chuffed that Airfix produced this kit and no doubt I'll be getting more as your collection so far shows the myriad of schemes used on the type. 

Cheers mate,.... yeah I agree,.... a curates egg indeed,.... but nice to have a readily available and easy to build Mk.Vc at last,...... wish we had a 1/48th one too,.... hopefully Eduard will be filling that gap shortly? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Blue? Yes. 

Vokes filter? Yes. 

4 cannon? Yes. 

I love it! 

LOL,..... cheer mate! 

12 hours ago, steh2o said:

Hello Tony excellent Mk.Vc! You really addressed the weak points of the Airfix kit and turned it in to a beautiful accurate shape!

Question about the livery: you choose USN Blue Grey as top color while Paul Lucas suggested Dark Mediterranean Blue for the same aircraft. I understand that the matter is quite complicated but I would like to ask your point of view on this argument for future reference (should I try a Malta Spit once in my life!).

Thank you, great job!

Hello Tony excellent Mk.Vc! You really addressed the weak points of the Airfix kit and turned it in to a beautiful accurate shape!

Question about the livery: you choose USN Blue Grey as top color while Paul Lucas suggested Dark Mediterranean Blue for the same aircraft. I understand that the matter is quite complicated but I would like to ask your point of view on this argument for future reference (should I try a Malta Spit once in my life!).

Thank you, great job!

Thanks,.... sorry I thought I`d already explained my process at arriving with US Navy Blue Grey. I`m going off veterans testimony,.... Paul appears to have found paperwork,..... so it is up to you really,..... but they were blue! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steh2o said:

Thanks for the answer Tony I should have read more carefully! Excellent job!

No worries mate and cheers again. 

8 hours ago, Bill Bunting said:

Stunning finish once again!  She's a beaut!   

Cheers!

Thanks Bill,.... very kind mate. 

1 hour ago, Mig88 said:

Lovely Spitfire, great looking scheme and interesting info Tony. :goodjob:

Almost makes me want to get one and do the same. Hmmm worth thinking about it... 😉.

Miguel

Thank You Miguel,...... hey what a good idea!! 

Edited by tonyot

Very nice Tony, want to lay hands on the Airfix 48th Vb to do the Malta version having been there a couple of years ago.

Lovely island and lovely people, apart from the taxi woman at the Airport , can't use the term 'Lady' !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulaero said:

Very nice Tony, want to lay hands on the Airfix 48th Vb to do the Malta version having been there a couple of years ago.

Lovely island and lovely people, apart from the taxi woman at the Airport , can't use the term 'Lady' !!

Thanks Paul,.... the Airfix 1/48th kit is nice,..... but there is also an Eduard kit due and I`m pretty sure you can build one from their current Mk.Ib/IIa boxing? I love Malta and its people too,...... I first went in the 90`s and it was brilliant,.....but the place has changed for the worse over the past 10 years or so, losing a lot of its character and the people just don`t appear as happy or friendly as they used to be? That is the impression I have had as a regular visitor over the years anyway. 

Oh the shame, for missing this the first time around, so glad it resurfaced & I've had a chance to see the finished item, & really nice it is too. As much as anyone can be sure on these, I reckon you've nailed it beautifully, need to grab some Airfix Vcs, haven't seen any out here yet but they should be about by now. meantime I'll take 10 demerit points & go stand in the corner for a bit to show contrition for missing the first showing of this. :( :D 

Steve.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Oh the shame, for missing this the first time around, so glad it resurfaced & I've had a chance to see the finished item, & really nice it is too. As much as anyone can be sure on these, I reckon you've nailed it beautifully, need to grab some Airfix Vcs, haven't seen any out here yet but they should be about by now. meantime I'll take 10 demerit points & go stand in the corner for a bit to show contrition for missing the first showing of this. :( :D 

Steve.

Hey no worries Steve,.... just glad you like it mate and thank you for your very kind words.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 19:50, tonyot said:

Thanks Paul,.... the Airfix 1/48th kit is nice,..... but there is also an Eduard kit due and I`m pretty sure you can build one from their current Mk.Ib/IIa boxing? I love Malta and its people too,...... I first went in the 90`s and it was brilliant,.....but the place has changed for the worse over the past 10 years or so, losing a lot of its character and the people just don`t appear as happy or friendly as they used to be? That is the impression I have had as a regular visitor over the years anyway. 

Sadly mate I think you may be right as it's affected lots of places can say the same for Cyprus and most of it is down to finances and wanting to make the most form tourists. 

• Like 1

Haven't had time to read all of the research/historical entries (yet) but I was keen to salute a beautifully built model!  Being a Vc fan, I can see myself picking up a few of these Airfix kits sometime soon.  Thanks for the inspiration.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

On 03/02/2021 at 00:24, tonyot said:

I totally agree,.... I`m researching the Hurricane`s used by the Royal Naval Air Squadron Malta,.... a handful of Swordfish and Albacore pilots approached AVM Keith Park about flying some surplus Hurricanes on fighter bomber sorties etc and they were given a dark upper surface paint job,...... it has mostly been thought to be a Dark Blue with Azure Blue underneath,..... but I`m sure I can pick out faint camo demarcation lines so maybe some form of Temperate Sea Scheme or just the original scheme showing through as shadows? 

BG766-1-T-OToole-Photo.jpg

BG766-2-RNAS-Malta-tony-otoole25.jpg

When I asked a groundcrew member of 249 Sqn what colour was used on the first Spitfire`s to arrive to cover the Mid Stone areas of the desert colour scheme he replied "Bluish Grey,..... just like we used on the Hurricane`s"!!!! I sent him photos of some Spit models that I had built in various probable  `Malta Schmes' and he picked out the one with Extra Drk Sea Grey applied,.........like this;

Malta-Spitfire-6.jpg

Now EDSG was readily available at the Seaplane MU at Kalafrana at the time,.... so it makes sense! I built this `spurious' Hurricane model using his info, using a faded EDSG alongside the Dark Earth;

DSCF8096.jpg

Based on these photos;

1-Hurri-IIc-Malta.jpg

210-Cull-LE-S-Malta.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Already made a Hurricane Mk II b in DSG, Sky blue underside with the new Arma kit in 1/72

And nearly finish a Mk II c in the same color

Alain 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 10:03 AM, Paulaero said:

Sadly mate I think you may be right as it's affected lots of places can say the same for Cyprus and most of it is down to finances and wanting to make the most form tourists. 

Sad isn`t it mate,.....  especially when the locals start to dislike the tourists,...... Malta used to be so friendly and people were even more friendly when they realised that you were British. We used to go off the beaten tourist track and when our Son was a baby he was admired by many of the ladies and we would have a great chat,..... he is 21 years old now!   I`ve only been to Cyprus once and never left the Herk we were sat on,.... as it waited on the pan at Akrotiri! I always seemed to miss out on the Exercise Lion Sun jollies and would have liked a UN tour,..... but to no avail.

On 3/10/2021 at 3:21 AM, kapam said:

Haven't had time to read all of the research/historical entries (yet) but I was keen to salute a beautifully built model!  Being a Vc fan, I can see myself picking up a few of these Airfix kits sometime soon.  Thanks for the inspiration.

:goodjob:

Thanks mate,.... that is very kind of you. It is a nice starting point for a Spit Mk.Vc model. 

OK, Tony; now yer just showin' off! Firstly, I absolutely love BE402! That is an awesome paint scheme, and I'm going to save that one, for sure! (Thanks for all of the serious research and outstanding photos, mate.) Secondly, how many Vc kits do you have left in that case? Seriously, that is one beautifully researched and built Malta defender! I can see why USN Blue Grey is often quoted as a good match for RAF PRU blue- that Vc could almost pass as a PR Spit! Another outstanding model, Tony. I marvel at not only your build rate, bur the consistently high standard of each of your finished models. :worthy:

Mike

...and no, I am not the President of the ToT fan club, USA chapter, although I'm open to offers!) :giggle:

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling