1:32 Ju EF-126

1 hour ago, Xtof P said:

Excellent work indeed! There are things for me to learn in every step. Thanks a lot!

Christof 

thanks Christof

I'm enjoying the build and trying some new, new to me anyway, techniques and hopefully showing that an old dog can sometimes be taught new tricks 😋

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Simply sublime!

thanks Dunny

if I've not mentioned it before this is a really good kit, all issues are of my own making!

rgds

John(shortCummins)

50978792418_8c66e19943.jpg

The “metal” paint had worn in a couple of places, nothing too much and I was able to touch them up with a hairy stick.

So everything was given a “protective” coat of AK gauzy agent, the idea was to protect the metal finish and also help to blend the decals.

Once the varnish had fully cured, I left it overnight, probably overkill but better safe than sorry, I gave the panel lines and rivets a homemade oils wash,

50986044232_3641581425_c.jpg

50986044212_251e3e12f2_c.jpg

Certain areas were then given a flat coat.

50985258313_2d4afee12b_c.jpg

50985258298_a0b66b09d6_c.jpg

50986071452_760a8b73bd_c.jpg

50985258243_3be36ef081_c.jpg

Both Argos engines nailed onto their supports.

50988025798_21e1591778_c.jpg

50988731831_7abbfb8a7c_c.jpg

And tail section.

50988837592_b0b4487ab4_c.jpg

50988837587_2fd535fc50_c.jpg

50988731821_50b8003762_c.jpg

Then the “skid” was assembled and attached to the airframe.

50988731816_f0fc9a050e_c.jpg

50988731801_6aa9790721_c.jpg

Attaching the skid has been the “trickiest” part of the build so far. Once I’d joined the front and back of the skid, parts C45, B24, A44, B14, C62 & A3, I fixed the “pistons”, parts A36 & A37, to the fuselage, and then cemented the “guide strut”, part A30, to the skid. To join the skid to the airframe firstly I glued the top of part A44 to its place on the fuselage, then the front of the skid at the same time fitting the pistons to the skid and the guide strut to the fuselage. The final part B21 was slid under the front of the skid and fixed to the airframe.

Sitting on the trolly…

50988025718_985352189e_c.jpg

…and with the wings attached (dry-fitted)

50988837542_6c7fedb4ee_c.jpg

Next I’ll be sorting out the canopy.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Wow John, that’s just amazing.

john

thanks John

isn't she a strange bird? wood, metal and pulse jets engines, a diesel punk Enterprise

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Beautifully done! Every time I see a build like this, my stash increases by "1" (sometimes, "2").

thanks billn53

this is one of the most enjoyable builds I've done, the kit has little or no issues and if you're looking for a mojo boost then this is one I'd highly recommend.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

50988732831_49d6703ca8.jpg

The canopy parts were given a dunk in Gauzy agent and this is the result.

50988065513_73b9177a9e_c.jpg

50988065508_42d2abbf8f_c.jpg

This was the first time I’ve used Gauzy agent so its almost certainly something I’ve done wrong.

I tried to remove the gauzy agent stuff using a sonic bath for half an hour to see if would clean it?

So after an hour or so in the bath and then a while “polishing” with Tamiya compounds this is the result.

50992748456_77c79419bd_c.jpg

So, its better, far less cloudy than it was but not good enough, so I’ve emailed Das Werk and they’ve kindly offered me a new sprue, first class service!

One fly in the ointment is that I’ve been unable to purchase something from their web shop, so now they’ve offered to send the sprue to ScaleModelShop, where I purchased the kit from, in with their next delivery. I’ve been trying to contact ScaleModelShop via their contact form on the website but so far I’ve not been able to “send” the message, I keep getting an error, I’ll keep trying.

If anyone has any tips on how I should have used the Gauzy agent I’d be grateful.

Unfortunately she’s now going on the “shelf” until the new clear parts arrive.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Oh bummer, and it was going so well.

I was looking at the gauzy compound a couple of days ago with a view to getting some, perhaps I’ll stick with Klear for now.

Hope you don’t have to wait too long for the replacement.

Keep smiling.

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Oh bummer, and it was going so well.

I was looking at the gauzy compound a couple of days ago with a view to getting some, perhaps I’ll stick with Klear for now.

Hope you don’t have to wait too long for the replacement.

Keep smiling.

John

thanks John

this was the first time I've "dipped" a canopy, in truth I don't know why I did it, the clear plastic was as good as anything I've seen so there really was no need to do anything other than mask and paint.

live and learn

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

I've just received an email from Das Werk, my replacement sprue should be arriving next week.

really good customer service from them coupled with an excellent kit of an unusual subject at a very reasonable price, I can't praise them enough!

whatever subject they choose for their 2nd aircraft kit I'll be first in line

• Like 3

9 hours ago, shortCummins said:

I've just received an email from Das Werk, my replacement sprue should be arriving next week.

really good customer service from them coupled with an excellent kit of an unusual subject at a very reasonable price, I can't praise them enough!

whatever subject they choose for their 2nd aircraft kit I'll be first in line

Definitely getting one at some time, might put it on my birthday list. 

I also hope they get a good enough return from this to persuade them to stay with aircraft, especially more unusual types.

John

• Like 1

Canopy issues aside, this is beautiful work. The sharp contrast between the metal, wood and primed parts is really eye catching and makes a great change from the usual stuff. Really well done 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zibbit said:

Am I the only one who thinks this aircraft might've been the inspiration for when Fairchild Republic designed the A-10 Thunderbolt?

Beautiful job on the kit.

thanks zibbit

its an interesting aircraft isn't it, you can choose to build the single, double Argos engines or the rocket versions, I don't think it ever flew, the one the Russians captured blew up! however the twin engines attached "off" of the fuselage was certainly novel. I can't think of many other aircraft that follow this principal? I know there were a few civilian airliners with twin jet engines but they were placed quite close to the fuselage.

11 hours ago, Marklo said:

Lovely build. By coincidence this month’s Airfix model world has a build of the same kit. 

thanks Markio

I'll have to look out for that.

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Definitely getting one at some time, might put it on my birthday list. 

I also hope they get a good enough return from this to persuade them to stay with aircraft, especially more unusual types.

John

thans John

I also hope that the kit sells well and encourages them to offer different aircraft, I will be first in line when they do!

8 hours ago, Alan P said:

Canopy issues aside, this is beautiful work. The sharp contrast between the metal, wood and primed parts is really eye catching and makes a great change from the usual stuff. Really well done 👍

thanks Alan 

it was the mixture of wood and metal that drew me to the subject, a few years ago I built a 1/48 Tamiya Mossie along the same lines, if I could find a reasonably priced 1/32 Mossie I'd be very tempted to do the same. For my previous Mossie I used PE wood grain templates to paint the wood effect, next time I wouldn't hesitate to use the Uschi wood decals, in fact I'm thinking about a biplane of some sort, just a shame that WnW are no more, I've a couple in my stash a Camel that I've started, DH.2 and the Meng boxing of the Dr.1. There's some "wood" panels on the Camel but very little on the other two.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shortCummins said:

Its an interesting aircraft isn't it, you can choose to build the single, double Argos engines or the rocket versions, I don't think it ever flew, the one the Russians captured blew up! however the twin engines attached "off" of the fuselage was certainly novel. I can't think of many other aircraft that follow this principal? I know there were a few civilian airliners with twin jet engines but they were placed quite close to the fuselage.

Even goes further than just the double stand-off engines.. just look at the top view of the main wing profile.. or the shape of the two vert. stabs.. or the shape of the elevators.. or the fuselage profile (top or side).. and the list goes on-an-on..

No surprise the captured aircraft blew up, I doubt PJ engines were famous for their reliability.  I believe engineers always considered that engine as a one-and-done kinda platform (think buzz bombs).

It's almost like the designers had to hit pause on the project until power-plant technology was advanced.  After a suitable power-plant was in production, they changed a few of the proportions, added a gatling fun/electronics before calling it a Thunderbolt.

I really like the theme you've got going on with the "bare metal/wood" that you've repeated on a few of your models.  They're pristine without being far-fetched.  Almost like you took an aircraft right off the assembly line just before it went into the paint shop.  Tell you the truth; your model makes me curious about what the assembly/maintenance stands looked like when they were building the aircraft.. and if it would be difficult to reproduce.

Edited by zibbit
  • Like 2

John, excellent as always, and such a shame about the canopy. I hope you get in touch with scale model shop soon.

Then we can see the result in all it's glory. BTW, did you try toothpaste or even Brasso?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

John, excellent as always, and such a shame about the canopy. I hope you get in touch with scale model shop soon.

Then we can see the result in all it's glory. BTW, did you try toothpaste or even Brasso?

thanks Pete

the spare "glass' is coming directly from Das Werk, I'm not sure who owns who but they are owned by MBK https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/en a huge model shop based in Germany.

Anywho, they suggested that if I bought something from the model shop then they'd add the replacement sprue to the order, so not needing much encouragement I ordered a 1:48 Kitty Hawk Saab Gripen, a model I'd been after for some time. Many moons ago, late 80's, the company I worked for, a subsidiary or General Dynamics, sent me to BAe Warton to work on some software, this was in the later stages of the Eurofighter development, so whilst I was there I got the chance to contribute on some of the computer systems shoehorned into the Gripen. So I've a very tenuous link to the aircraft, plus I think she looks beautiful and something Gerry Anderson would have been happy with.

The "help" that the folks at Das Werk & MBK have provided has been first class, the only issue is that they're not in the UK otherwise I'd be using them a lot more.

rgds

John(shortCummins) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

sorry Pete

I meant to answer this but I got sidetracked, puppy-dog insisted he needed a walk.

I didn't true either toothpaste or Brasso but I did try the Tamiya polishing compounds, all 3 of them.

what I don't understand is what I did wrong, I did shake the "dip" and then tried to remove the bubbles from the canopy as I removed it, perhaps I got either too much or too little on the canopy? I didn't "wash" the plastic before I dipped it, so perhaps there was some sort of release agent on the plastic that then reacted with the dip?

I'm going to root through the spare box and try again on some clear plastic that I don't care about and see if I can find out what I did wrong.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chemguy3000 said:

John, you should be able to fully remove the Gauzy with an ammonia-based cleaning solution (undiluted).

David

thanks David

that's worth a try

rgds

John(shortCummins)

51028815992_7b2bef1e16.jpg

The canopy parts were given a dunk in Gauzy agent and something went horribly wrong. Das Werk to the rescue, they offered me a new sprue FREE OF CHARGE!, provided that I bought something from their web shop so that they could include it in the delivery. A week later a sturdy box arrived on my doorstep with a Kitty Hawk SAAB Gripen and more importantly the replacement “glass” sprue.

Many thanks to the folks at Das Werk and MBK for their generosity and efficiency, outstanding customer service in my book.

I decided not to dip the canopy this time, in truth the plastic is so clear I don’t think it needs it anyway.

Tamiya tape and Mr Masking Sol was used to mask both the inside and outsides of the canopy, as I’m going to pose it in the “open” position I didn’t want the “inside” colour to appear too glossy as it would if I only sprayed the outside?

51032627646_c94526a695_c.jpg

Anyhow the canopy framing was first sprayed with UMP/Stynylrez black primer.

51031898213_1e54a9f0a0_c.jpg

Then given a coat of Tamiya XF-69 NATO black…

51032848147_5dc7fbb22b_c.jpg

…and then the edges sponge chipped with XF-24 dark grey.

51032019193_911452e6fb_c.jpg

51032747446_9138ee5eb9_c.jpg

Further chipping, around where the catch/lock is, of vallejo metal color 77.717 dull aluminium to simulate extra wear.

51032747421_0cc49841c9_c.jpg

Next I’ll be adding the final bits’n’bobs to the aircraft and she’ll be ready for inspection.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 5