Mosquito MM417 487 New Zealand Squadron - RAF Hunsdon

Dear All.. a new year and another kit offered for RFI. I hope you enjoy this RFI as much as i enjoyed building it!

I am indebted to Wellsprop for the inspiration to do this kit.

EG-T  reg no MM417 served with 487 New Zealeand Squadron, the squadron famous for raids such as Jericho as well as low level attacks on Gestapo headquarters in Aarhus and Copenhagen. I decided to build this kit with the bomb bays closed and a full weapon payload on the wing pylons.

Painted with Hataka paints and lightly weathered to represent a machine that didn't see a huge amount of use before it was hit by flak and force landed at RAF Hunsdon on 26th March 1944. 

This aircraft was based at RAF Hunsdon which is an airfield very local to me i decided this was the example i'd do .

For this kit i first used the paper mask to do the RAF cammo pattern. (Great idea to include in the kit!) I wasn't entirely satisfied with the results so decided to have a go usin gthe Bluetack masking method. I enjoyed this process very much. The results are not absolutely perfect but the more times i do it the better i'll get at it! Hopefully!

This was a lovely kit to build. Tamiya kits always are it seems and in my book worth the extra money. 

I used Hataka Red Line RAF Set colours used on the underside and the ocean grey. Tamiya RAF Green 2 for the top cammo. The RAF Ocean Grey topside is in my humble opinion 'spot on' . 

The pitot tube was very fragile and fell off so i fashioned a new sturdier one from a cut off paper clip!

20210129_131440

20210129_130955

20210129_130917

20210202_103303

20210202_103134

20210202_103210

20210202_103232

20210202_103320

20210202_103441

20210202_103540

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
Added more pictures
  • Like 50

37 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Outstanding work. That's a cracking Mosquito👍

Thanks Vinnie. i'm quietly and modestly pleased with the result. So glad you like it! The next RAF cammo will be my 1:32 Tempest V- the exact one my uncle flew and crashed! Might have to do a USAAF build at the same time.. lol

Thanks Sat. Yes i agree, i do find it hard to paint figures as well as others. Guess it's just practice makes perfect! i'd imagined this build as the crew taxiing round the Peri tract at Hunsdon so had to include them! Looks a little like the Navigator is praying lol

Glad you like this one!

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Andy, you have built a cracking Mossie there. An awesome model of an awesome machine. 

Chris

Thanks Chris. looking at the pics again..I did muck up one of the no step red box decals a little.. maybe tidy it up a bit later.  It is a cracking kit to build. Post lockdown i really should take it over to the RAF Hunsdon memorial and take some pics of it in it's proper place!

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, beastieboy said:

Great job, i always think that adding the pilot/co pilot always adds so much to the build. Must get myself one of these

Yes.. i'm undecided often about should i put a crew in or not. I think pilot painting is an art in itself! This pair of retrobates turned out well though. Thanks so much for the positive comments! Glad you enjoyed it! Regards

Andy

3 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

Really nice one! I like this natural light photographs. So your Mosquito turns very realistic!

Cheers. 
Andy 

Thank you Sir! Notice you are in Celle. My uncle was stationed there in WW2 flying RAF Tempest Vs  in 56 (Punjab)Squadron and i think later 16 Squadron. I'm currently doing a 1:32 build of one of his Tempest V aircraft he flew , he force landed in it and was presumed killed. 

Natural light pics do add something to the realism i agree. Cheers for the positive comments. Much appreciated! 

Regards

Andy

37 minutes ago, beastieboy said:

Great job, i always think that adding the pilot/co pilot always adds so much to the build. Must get myself one of these

I think the kit was about £23 .. what's not to like! It goes together almost snap fit. A pleasure to build! The Hataka paints were lovely to use too. Look forward to your one if you choose to build it! Cheers!

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

A really nice build there Andy, of what is to most Kiwi enthuisats, quite an iconic subject. You look to have caught it rather well :)

Steve.

Thank you very much Steve. I like the RAF Hunsdon site and it's very local to me so often go there ( not sadly recently due to lockdown!). Glad to pay tribute to and acknowledge the RNZAF connection too! I took your advice about natural light pics and think it shows the model off to it's best advantage! The memorial there is very moving and has the prop from a crashed Mossie on top of it. This MM417  / EG-T has quite a history in respect of kit manufacturers choosing it as an option so i understand. Wellsprop did this kit a couple of years ago and i was inspired to try and do as good a job as he did! 

Kind Regards

Andy

• Like 1