3D printed Pendant rudder pedals

NoSG0

I REALLY need to make friends with someone who has a 3d printer.

This one uses HALL effect sensors

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4407778

This one uses an Arduino board. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4744321

I think the pendant pedals would be better long term than the pedals where you rest your feet on the pedals.

Where in Canada are you?

(Very) quick back of the envelope calculation looks like it's just over a kilo to print, and about 44 hours total print time, which is realistically 3 solid days worth of babysitting the printer to swap out files.

A kilo of filament is ~$30 - 40.  Assuming all parts turn out fine and don't need re-printing.  Add in two to three days of checking in on the printer every half hour to seven hours (depending on the print) to pull stuff off the build plate and start a new print.  And most importantly, factor in the person's knowledge, expertise and craftsmanship in terms of actually running the machine.

It's not a cheap price, but it's not wildly outrageous, either.  Although you could buy an Ender 3 (a solid quality, entry level filament printer) for pretty close to $200 Canadian and learn to print it yourself.  I'd probably go that route, since you'd then have to tool to do other stuff.

• Like 1

Hello ICMF,

Thank you very much for the response.  Very informative. Not knowing what I don't know,  I felt it best to ask.  As usual with any purchase, I feel that it is necessary to research.  One of the things that I am considering is using the public library system here as some libraries have 3d printers.  There are some small speed bumps with that.

1) 2 Hour time limit

2) They only seem to use PLA.  Not sure if that is good enough for this type of print? If not, then the library is out. Need the thing to last.

As for my own printer, I would love one, but physical space wont allow it.

The thingiverse file I looked at (the Arduino, IIRC) has several prints that are well over 2 hours - most of the larger components are 4 - 7 hour prints at a minimum, potentially double or triple that. (incidentally, you could easily double or triple my print time estimates - the print settings I've got at the moment are for a larger nozzle, so it needs to print fewer lines for the same thickness, which cuts down print time.  for a 'standard' nozzle, you would double the time for an equivalent print)

PLA *probably* isn't a problem, though other materials may be better.  PLA can be made to be strong enough, assuming the correct print settings; something like PETG would be a little more robust "out of the box", but also brings other print difficulties with it.  Trickiest part of someone else printing it is that if something does break, you'll have to pay to have it re-printed. 

As for physical space...  something like an Ender 3 would have less than an 18" square footprint, FWIW.  44 x 41 cm.