AH-1Z Viper - Cobra Redux!

This the Academy 1/35 wonder kit of the AH-1Z Viper (everyone still calls it the Cobra!)

tn_original_bac7b6cf-fa08-412e-a534-c826f1619d19_PXL_20210201_210147361

This is quite simply one of the best model kits I've ever had the pleasure of building. The fact that it is ludicrously brilliant value as well just makes it all the better.

tn_original_5dcd7155-fa82-4c6a-a768-e34c4bb07fb3_PXL_20210201_205557988

The kit is built from the box with the exception of the squadron markings and FMV antennae, which are from the copious Flying Leathernecks decal set. I also added the anti-slip areas on the skids and stub wings from 2500 grit sandpaper 😉

tn_PXL_20210201_205654453

The detail on the kit is superb, but it's the tooling which makes it really special - the tail boom, rocket pods and exhausts are all hollow one-piece mouldings with both recessed and raised fine rivet details of superb definition. If you haven't had a look at this kit before, you really should. The skids, Hellfires and stub wings are also supplied as one-piece mouldings with excellent detail all around.

tn_original_e25037ed-8bd2-432e-a2a9-990c7c99b44d_PXL_20210201_205620014

There's also a PE fret for all the vents and grilles, plus a full masking set for the canopy and sensor optics.

tn_original_03734729-3352-4d8d-b8d4-47e39a6982c4_PXL_20210201_205535965

The model was painted with MRP Light Ghost Gray and Navy Blue-Gray and weathered with Colourcoats enamels

tn_original_5245dd0b-510e-4d6c-bdad-a79d050cc5ea_PXL_20210201_205749676

I made it look like an end-of-det state just to see what I could do with it - I'll definitely be making another one or two or three of these, (it's a definite wonder kit that falls together and incredibly good value for money) so I'll make the next one nice and clean!

tn_original_f5a3b068-a292-4745-b217-85066acb6a72_PXL_20210201_205815523

My final verdict on this kit is unsurprisingly and overwhelmingly positive. Incredibly detailed out of the box with excellent decals; full weapons options (only missing the extended range fuel tank); big shelf appeal; one of the coolest aircraft flying today; presented in a diorama friendly 1/35 scale; and all for an MSRP under £50. Can't fault it and will definitely be building more.

Cheers and all the best,

Alan

• Like 57
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Gotta love that one. Great job! I just bought the 1:72 kit by Dream Model, hope mine turns out this nice. What's the plating on the front pod glass?  :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks very much Bill. It's from the decal set by Flying Leathernecks, a transparent reflective sticker. Great little feature! 

56 minutes ago, stulad said:

That's absolutely superb. Bravo.

Cheers Stu 🍻

• Like 1

This kit is on my radar to get in the future but I have other pressing issues outside of modelling.  When I first saw this kit I had little interest in Helos.

However after reading on it and seeing several on line builds I decided I gotta have it.  Your build looks great too! Just makes me want one that much more.

Todder

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much @Rod bettencourt and @Homer👍

6 hours ago, Todders said:

This kit is on my radar to get in the future...after reading on it and seeing several on line builds I decided I gotta have it. 

Thanks Todders, if you only get one helicopter kit I'd make it this one. Details, ease of build, and end product for the price really makes it stand out from the Kitty Hawk competition

Thanks very much for looking and commenting guys 🍻

6 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Very impressive work, the weathering looks spot on 👍

Thanks very much Tbolt 👍

5 hours ago, swralph said:

This is a great build Alan.😀

Thank you again :thumbsup2:

45 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very impressive. Looks… well, real!

Slick work!

Thank you, high praise indeed! :cheers:

3 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very very cool, looks really good

2 hours ago, RupertTheBear said:

Fantastic build! 😍

2 hours ago, Natter said:

Cobra, Viper; whatever.  You find yourself on the wrong end of one your going to get bitten!  Super modelling.

That's very true! 

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

A Seriously nice build. The weathering is spot on as well.

Thanks Stephen, probably a bit heavy but that's modelling 😁

52 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

Very impressive indeed! 👌

Thank you all very, very much 🍻

Alan 

Thanks @RMCS👍

3 minutes ago, Peter W said:

That looks superb and definitely an inspiration to make me build mine.

Thanks very much Pete, good luck with your build, I think you'll enjoy it! 

17 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

The kit may be a good one, but it still takes a talented modeller to get results like this. 

Very generous, thank you!

6 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice Viper there, looks superb

Thanks very much Russ, means a lot!