Revell 1/72 Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. L

srkirad

Here is the kit I will tackle during this GB...

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-001.jpg

...enhanced a bit with PE Eduard set and Armorscale metal barrel.

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-002.jpg

See you soon with in progress photos :)

Cheers and good luck to all of us,

S.

• Like 7

Good evening S. Hope you are well. Great to see you are going to do another 1/72 build in this GB. I was really impressed with your Panther GB project.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the support and kind words mates :) 

As always, I'll try to do my best.

Panther was a real challenge to assemble due to those tiny PE sideskirt holders, but also to paint sideskirts separately.

Giving a small glance at this one, it doesn't seem to me more complicated than Panther, so I expect one enjoyable build.

I'm closest to the boxart livery, so this will be some more practice with winter-wash techniques :)

Cheers,

S.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi S. I hope you are well. I'm just checking to see if you have made any any more progress with your Pz.III L? It was looking rather good, last time seen.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Huh, sorry @PlaStix I kinda missed this post of yours 😳 

I was busy finishing F-86D in "Interceptors" GB during last month, but at the same time I didn't forget on this one ;) 

Here is the result of my "absence" - all plastic and PE parts are glued, except machine gun on front armor plate, which I will glue in the end to avoid breaking of it during painting and weathering.

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-004.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-005.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-006.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-007.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-008.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-009.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-010.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-011.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-012.jpg

I was a bit worried how I will do some PE assemblies, but everything turned out great in the end! 

Following step is Black Mr. Surfacer as a primer layer...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

Hi S. No problem about missing my post - I know a lot of modellers in this GB have other projects on the go at the same time. I'm really pleased you have had chance to do more on it and it is looking fantastic. I can't wait to see it with some paint on.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi S. Great to see you have managed to find some time for this project. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the paint going on!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

First stage of camouflage is done - Gunze Panzer Grey, a bit lightened with white for middle parts of panels/surfaces.

This one should have white wash cammo, but I'm not yet sure whether white color should cover markings, so I can chip that area to expose markings, or decals should be applied over chipped white color.

Most photos of this kit done show decals over white overall, while I would like to chip the white a bit on some areas...

Do you maybe have some suggestions/advices on this matter? 

I've just tried AMMO Chipping fluid and I'm really pleased with results, so I would like to use that product on this kit - I just need to figure out whether to do it before or after decaling 😕 

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-015.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-016.jpg

Cheers, and thank in advance for help,

S.

• Like 3

Hi S. Your paintwork looks awesome. Very impressive variations in the colour. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be able to help with your question. Please note I am not an expert at all on this but - on the couple of examples I have modelled, it appeared - to me - that the markings were already on the actual vehicle and that the whitewash was applied over them and then wiped off afterwards by the crew. In one instance it looked - again to me - that the crew had tried to avoid getting the whitewash over the markings with variable results - runs/drips over the markings, etc. I did my whitewashes using very, very thinned white acrylic paint, from Humbrol, which I applied using a small stippling brush. As I didn't want to have to try and remove the whitewash from over the decal - which I felt I might damage in the process - I applied the white much more thinned over the areas of the decals - to make it look like it had been cleaned off a bit by the crew. This photo is an example of one of them - admittedly on a Russian SU-122.

50196273522_7d223ea50b_b.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks @PlaStix 

Russians did winter wash with white color overpainting the markings, but on this Pz.III it seems it had to be done differently.

On following link you can see what I've meant - number 111 and black "cross" on turret are clearly painted over white color, and white seems to be overall equally painted.

This unfortunately is only a kit, and it may be just an modeller's interpretation, but, as Revell assembling manual shows markings clearly visible on white background, I think I will go with decals over white color, but I will "scratch" white around edges of hull and turret... and try not to paint white too uniform on some places, in order to give it "on-field-painted" look.

https://imodeler.com/2014/06/pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-revell-172-winter-camouflage/

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

I'm no expert at all, but I've always thought that whitewash would be something applied roughly over the whole tank by the crew with something like a mop and bucket, and then scrubbed off around the unit markings. Repeated a few times over winter, and then left to fade away once the snow melted. I don't think that markings would've been painted over the whitewash, because it's going to wash away anyway within a few weeks of Winter weather.

• Like 2

Hi again S. I did a bit more checking on PanzerWorld - here - https://panzerworld.com/german-armor-camouflage

Further down there is a section on whitewash which includes:

The paint could be removed with washing soda in the spring. Areas around unit markings, Balkenkreuze, and other markings were usually left in their original color to avoid having to repaint the markings.

It does say 'usually' - so you should do it whatever way you prefer. Only if you find an actual picture of the tank itself can you be sure how the whitewash was done with regards the markings. It's your model - your rules!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stix.

Yes, regarding white wash - it sounds legit to add markings onto basic color, so whitewash can overpaint it/surround it.

But, as you said, this word -  'usually' - makes me think to do it as I wrote above - as decals/markings are black, it does make sense to position them over white background.

German numbers on turrets were usually with some outline if on dark backgrounds, and plain black number 111 would be hardly visible on German Grey background.

So, thanks to all for help - I will try to find some photo evidence on this particular tank, if I'm not enough lucky, I will do it "black on white"...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I did the "white wash" and not so heavy chipping on edges, using Ammo Chipping fluid (scratches effects).

Not great not terrible - I used Vallejo Air White, which I usually never use for airbrushing, but used it because it better cooperate with this chipping fluid.

Due to my little experience in airbrushing Vallejo colors, I probably didn't dissolve it enough, so it sprayed a bit heavier layers, and that resulted in a bit more troubled chipping, and not so subtle as I wanted on some places.

But overall, I think it doesn't look too bad, especially that chipping on this one doesn't have to be heavy, because of decals are yet to be applied, over white.

Few days rest, and giving it a gloss coat before decals...

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-017.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-018.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-019.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-020.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-021.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-022.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Stix, I'll try to do my best with weathering - I'll follow iModeler link that I posted above - I really like how that one turned out.

Anyway, I'll leave gloss coat to cure well, maybe around weekend, or some day after weekend.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And here we are... a bit of wash (Windsor & Newton oils) and MIG pigments here and there... and we have finished product :)

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-026.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-027.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-028.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-029.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-030.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-031.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-032.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-033.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-034.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-035.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-036.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-037.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-038.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-039.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-040.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-041.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-042.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-043.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-044.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-045.jpg

pzkpfw-iii-ausf-l-046.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5

Fantastic build S,

the weathering complements the whitewash perfectly. Thanks for taking part in the GB.

• Thanks 1