AaronKSJ

On 06/03/2021 at 15:49, PlaStix said:

They look excellent now but it's a shame the jig wasn't much use.

Thanks, although I'd probably put the issues with the jig down to user error! Looks like you had better luck with it.

Stopped putting off the etch bits and pieces! 

20210307_225119

20210309_173257

20210309_173244

Think everything is prepped now for a coat of primer tomorrow. 

I'm leaving the commanders copula and the top section above the gun compartment lose for the time being to make spraying easier. 

All the metal bits have had a coat of Mr Hobby metal primer. 

Pleased with how the how the tow cables turned out, the last time I tied to make tow cable with the kit supplied metal parts I made a right hash of it any only manged to get one done.

So hopefully paint tomorrow! 

• Like 8

Looking good, the three piece rings on the idlers have worked out just fine, as have the tow cables,  nice work!

Must say Dragon have done a great job on the moulded zimm on these Stugs.

Always a nice landmark to get to the painting stage. 

Atb

Darryl 

On 10/03/2021 at 07:43, Jasper dog said:

Must say Dragon have done a great job on the moulded zimm on these Stugs.

Definitely! Looking forward to getting a wash on it already!

We have primer! Woohoo

20210310_155036

First time using Mr Mahogany 1000, once I remembered to switch my needle from the 0.2 to 0.4 it sprayed really nicely. Mixed about 50/50 with SLT. 

And then after leaving it over night to cure, spotted this damned bit :unamused:

Tiny job for when I finish work today and then tomorrow I've the day off so can get some more colour down. 

20210311_133437

• Like 8

Hi Aaron. Great to see you have got the primer on. Looks like you have made excellent progress.......and your etched rims on the idlers look great!! :thumbsup: Very well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Looks good in primer, I've heard of the Mr Mahogany but never actually seen it. I assume its just effectively a brown primer?

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I assume its just effectively a brown primer?

Yup, spot on. 

I had wanted some black, but it was sold out so gave the brown a go.

It's a very dark brown, so should be fine... I'll find out tomorrow 

• Like 2

This has been my first attempt at a tri colour camo. Feedback welcome.

Had some issues with the spray splattering a little and overspray. Mainly got it corrected and tidied things up with some brushed on thinned yellow. 

20210313_154029

20210313_154102

20210313_154037

• Like 11

That's looking great. Well patterned, good colours. Bit of weathering and the details painted and it'll be top notch. I'm always a little jealous and hugely impressed by anyone who can pull off a good tri-colour camo. I can't and I've been trying for years.

Andy

• Like 1

Lovely tight tri colour camo, might I ask which paints have been used?

It almost looks like the late war dunklegelb 44.

The yellow looks paler than most but with successive weathering process I'll guess it'll come out about right.

Nice work.

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

It almost looks like the late war dunklegelb 44.

Ah. I used Tamiya XF-88, should it have been XF-60?

Dark Green XF-61 and Red Brown XF-64 were used too.

It'll be getting a few washes to bring out the zim texture, so with luck that'll getting it looking a bit closer. 

Edited by AaronKSJ
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AaronKSJ said:

Ah. I used Tamiya XF-88, should it have been XF-60?

Dark Green XF-61 and Red Brown XF-64 were used too.

It'll be getting a few washes to bring out the zim texture, so with luck that'll getting it looking a bit closer. 

Thanks, tbh you're probably better going lighter initially, particularly with zim, as the weathering can darken the finish.

Still a really great paint job! 👍

• Like 1

Cheers folks!

The camo was a bit patchy in places so I've neaten it up with a hairy stick and thinned paint. So it's looking a lot better.

It's been given a couple of coats of Klear in prep for some washes.

The past few days have involved this....

20210317_090728

Wheels. Wheels as far as the eye can see. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Not got a great deal done over the past week, in part due to being evicted from the kitchen and needing to set up shop in the spare room and also just throw a strop after stuffing up the camo on my 109 build, 

starting to get back into the swing of things again. 

Wheels completed and painted up the various tool bits.

Currently pondering on how to paint the tracks.

Last kit I used the Ammo dry earth track set and wasn't too happy with the results - if anyone has any pointers for using the set please shout out. 
I had used the brown primer, then track wash followed by a dry brush the polished metal. I just felt that with the brown primer the tracks looks a bit off and completely rusted / more of an abandoned look. 

Ooo and another question...
Has anyone used Vallejo thick mud or splash mud? Any tips? 

TIA

Aaron

• Like 1

Hi, Vallejo thick mud I've used and applied with an old brush and cocktail stick, used it on the Meng M4. As for the splash mud, I have some don't think I've used it successfully yet, if you look up videos for it on YouTube it'll point you in the right direction. 

As for tracks, I like a pale grey undercoat with a wash of AK track wash before any pigments or metallic effects on the contact surfaces. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Hi Aaron. I'm sorry that life seems to be getting in the way of your build.

With the Vallejo Thick Mud, as with any mud product - my advice is less is more. I've used it on the hull sides of my current build. I apply it with a cocktail stick like Darryl does, but I don't use any brushes to do it. The product is quite thick and 'gloopy' (obviously the technical term!) in the bottle. I try to get it to dry a little first before applying it otherwise I think it looks too much like very thick wet mud. I get a small amount on the end of the cocktail stick and try to touch it lightly to the areas I want it on, so only very small amounts are applied at once. I can always add more if it looks like there isn't enough - it's quite difficult to remove it satisfactorily, in my opinion, if there is too much. As the bits I'm applying are drier - only bits of the product are left behind rather than large blobs. As I always suggest - please try it on something less important to start with.

Also, like Darryl, I haven't really bothered with the splash mud product - it seems a bit too thin and watery to me. As Darryl suggested - perhaps some YouTube videos may explain how to get the most out of it.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

@PlaStix @Jasper dog  Cheers for the pointers chaps.

Before I'd seen your comments I had already had a crack at using the thick mud.... thankfully on a old build as I was very liberal with it  :shocked:

I'll dig out another old build and have another go but this time being a bit more restrained! 

Ok, so the tracks are looking like this at the moment. 

20210330_102343

As I'd already primed them brown I lightly sprayed some German grey over them to leave a bit of the brown tones showing through. 
Next I wanted to add some rust tones, so opted to use some AK weathering pencils  that I have. Admittedly not an obvious choice but I don't have any rust coloured paints (well I do have two brown oil paints but seem to struggle getting the shades to look good - think I also need an orange oil at some point) 

Anyhow, weathering pencils - I've found that if you shave the tip you can make washes. Light rust worked well, but then the medium rust dried with some very pink deposits. 
Head scratching time, opted for covering it with some of the Ammo track wash and that's where I'm at with them now. 

I've been eyeing up a set of rust paints - mainly the ones from LifeColor. If anyone has any suggestions for other acrylic suggestions please chip in!

I've also been looking at the LifeColor mud set and thinking I might get that two. Think I need a bit more variation in mud tones to add the two Vallejo ones I've got already. 

The decals are on, all five of them! 
It had occurred to me that decals over Zimmerit would loose their shape and I was not wrong! 

20210330_102253

This one is the worst offender, but at least they've settled into the texture nicely after some prodding with Micro Set/Sol. 

I spotted the chat about the machine gunners hatch, I was able to prise it off mine and reposition it to look more accurate. Thanks for the tips there!
Just need to add a oil wash to the underside bits to get them to match with the rest. 

And a couple of shots of the painted tools. 

20210328_104307

20210328_104330

While I Umm & Ahh about the rust paints I've got the periscopes and MG to paint up.

I've been enjoying following along with the other builds, there's some great work going on. 

• Like 4

Morning Folks

I've still been mucking around with my previous Panther build experimenting with mud. 

20210331_115120

The darker stuff is Vallejo Russian thick mud. I've then added some Mig Kursk soil over it in places. 
With the Kursk I've then tried to blending the edges using some white spirit and a brush.

I'd say the contrast between the two shades is too much and I went overboard with the Russian thick mud in the first place! 

I do have some of the Vallejo European mud, which will hopefully look better when combined with the Kursk?

Have had a rummage around and these are the bits that I currently have, if anyone can spot a good combination of these I'm all ears. 

20210331_115938

I've not bothered ordering the LifeColor mud set, I'm sure I must be able to get something out of these! 
Also got a couple of oil tubes of various colours too. 

Cheers Aaron

Edited by AaronKSJ
Probably help if I included the photo
  • Like 3

Hi Aaron. Yet more lovely progress. The painted tools are looking very good. Slightly annoying about that decal but I guess it's no surprise that it's lost it's shape a bit having to go over the waffle zimmerit. I think the mud effects are starting to build up nicely on your Panther. My suggestion would be to keep on experimenting until are happy with the results.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Cheers @PlaStix ! 

I caved in the end and ordered the LifeColor sets for Mud and Rust. The mud set has arrived so need to grab another other victim kit out and have a bash with it.
The rust kit hasn't arrived yet, hopefully it'll turn up tomorrow when I'm not in work so I  crack straight on with the tracks. 

The only vaguely productive thing I've done this week is started to poke a brush around the exhausts with so gray paint in prep for some rust. 

Aaron

• Like 1

Been a bit more productive with trying to suss out applying mud! 

The LifeColor mud set arrived and first attempt at just using that set had me here...

20210412_105837

which is ok, but not quite what I had in mind. 

So next up, was doing the side. Watched a whole range of vids on YouTube for ideas over the weekend...

Started with some Vallejo thick European mud following the suggestions from the others earlier.

20210412_105754

next I mixed a bit of vallejo dark earth pigment with lifecolor north Europe dry mud along with some Lifecolor south Europe mud paint - the idea of getting a shade for dried out mud. 
This applied over all the thick earth and blended a bit in places to try a get a thin dried mud effect.

Lastly, mixed some Vallejo splashes European mud with lifecolor north Europe dark mud paint and added that to larger areas of mud build up to try and show lumps of wet large mud. 
The splashes seems to have a gloss finish to works well for the wet effect. 
Thinned that mix down and added a few splashes with a cocktail stick to blend it together a bit which left me here...

20210412_125847

20210412_125856

Pretty pleased with so far!

Thanks for the input so far folks, please keep it up! 

Remembered that I should get round to the chipping on the Stug before adding mud to it, so that's next on the cards.

Aaron 

• Like 3