AaronKSJ

I'll be taking a crack at the Das Werk Stug III for this GB.
Looks to be a reboxed Dragon kit , but could be wrong. 

Kit looks pretty tasty with some nice waffle zimmerit moulded on

Box Artwork

IMAG0949

Schemes to choose from: 

IMAG0950

Last tank scheme I did had a winter whitewash.... leaning towards having a go at something different. So think either the tri camo option or the one with the fine green lines. 

Going to have a bash at the interior too, as a lot seems to be included with the kit. 

Acquired some Vellejo mud effects for this one too, some thick and some splash stuff. 

Aaron

• Like 11

Hi Aaron. Hope you are well. I think you are correct that this is a re-box of a Dragon kit. Looked really impressive in a review I've seen of it. Looking forward to following your progress. 

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Aaron, the DW kit is a re-pop of the Dragon kit that I'm building, the main difference is that Dragon were making their "magic tracks" individual links back then, DW use link and length tracks.

I'm hoping to build my Dragon kit as the StuH 42 and if I finish quickly enough then build the DW kit that I bought for this STGB as a Stug 7.5cm. :winkgrin: 

• Like 3

Is it the 6th yet? 

Hoping to have polished off the 1/48 Avenger I've been working on in time to get cracking on Saturday. 

The DW link and length tracks look quite nice, should be a lot simpler to construct than the DW Panther track I did last which had separate guide horns. Which in fairness to them, they look really good and surprisingly robust with my ham-fisted efforts of fitting the tracks after painting an partial assembly. 

I started to have a read up on interior colours last night, so think a mix of Tamiya white / buff for the elfenbein white colour. For the floor thinking Mr Hobby 070 RLM02 grey. Unless anyone can give any pointers? 

Edit - probably should mention the reasoning behind a grey floor, spotted elsewhere someone mentioned German grey/green  as a possible option as well as the bare primer.... and I don't have any red oxide primer paint.  

Edited by AaronKSJ
  • Like 2

On 06/02/2021 at 10:03, PlaStix said:

Looking forward to seeing some progress photos!

Photo's might be on hold for a little bit, dropped my phone one to many times and now the blasted camera has stopped working... 
I'm overdue a new phone anyway so not the end of the world. 

So far just been tackling the road wheels and made a start on the lower hull. Tried some scuff / wear marks on the rubber around the road wheels. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

dropped my phone one to many times and now the blasted camera has stopped working... 

Hi Aaron. That's not good. Hopefully you'll get something sorted soon......apart from anything else, we'd like to see the photos of your progress! I'll post some photos of how I fitted the three PE parts on each idler piece in my thread in a few minutes.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

New phone has arrived! 

Not got much photo worthy progress, still mainly at the cutting and tidying parts stage.

Have give the interior a lick of paint. 

Floor has been painted red / brown as it was the closest I had to primer red and mixed up some flat white with a dash of buff for the bulk of the interior. 
I scrapped my plan for a grey/green floor after I read somewhere that that colour wasn't used after around 1942 ish. 

20210214_092716

Looks ok, I think. 

Will need to pick out some details before gloss coating and attacking with some oil washes. 

Think I'm going to attempt to create straps for the MP-40s using wine bottle foil. 

Hope everyone is having a more productive modelling day than me, I am stuck in work - but on the plus side it's quiet so going to have catch up with the other builds.

Aaron

• Like 10

Hi Aaron. Great to hear that you have acquired a new phone and that you have made a bit of progress. I'm also pleased you are doing the interior in yours at the moment, as I have never done a proper interior in a tank - so I will be watching yours for tips for when I do mine, if I do. I may not do the interior this time, as I might be pushed for time - but I have a few other kits that come with interiors.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I was convinced I'd taken some progress shots of the interior over the weekend... But my phone says otherwise. 

On Saturday I'd given the interior a wash with brown oil, but used burnt sienna (I think) so it doesn't look right. It has more of a rusty orange look, which isn't what I wanted. 
Might try and remove some of the oil tonight if it's not to late, and then thinking a grey wash might be better suited. 

Next update I'll try and include actual photos. 

Aaron

• Like 1

You are probably not at the track assembly stage yet but I thought I would give you some things to consider for when you do, I used the link and length tracks from the DW kit to try them out, I thought that I would try the method I used on my Panthers and Tiger, make sure the sprockets, idlers and wheels are a loose fit on the axles, I have left the outside wheels loose for easier painting, then I started gluing the tracks to the wheels, on the first side that I did I followed the instructions and used the jig, a dab of Tamiya white top glue to tack the tracks together and when they were in place, green top Tamiya thin was run in to secure the tracks to each other and to the running gear.  Even though I put a bend in the track sections between the return rollers they tended to straighten out, but there should not be an excessive sag anyway.  On the second side, I did not use the jig and used more individual links than in the plans,(there are spares)  I made a length long enough to go from sprocket to idler and glued that in place.  Since there is no adjustment of the idler, putting this section in last allows the length to be adjusted by sagging the tracks between the rollers.  Hope this makes sense.  I have tried other methods with this type of track system (Panzer IVs) and if the glue has hardened and you need to adjust the track length, it's pretty difficult to do. 

Another thing, it's easier to do if the track guards and upper hull are not fitted when you do this. :winkgrin:

IMG_1519

These are all the left over track links.

If you ensure as they are a loose fit on the axles they can be easily removed for painting.

IMG_1520

Cheers, Bob

• Like 8

Hi Bob, your flying along compared to me! I did spend pretty much all weekend working on my Bf109 build tho :whistle:

When I built the DW Panther, the jig for their link and lengths was a great as it allowed the the full run of the track to be assembled with drive and idlers in place, so there I Assembled the full length but left one section unglued to allow fitment later. 

I'll see if I  can recreate it the way you've done it too, but with a break somewhere around the idler. Wherever possible I try to paint tracks and wheels / return rollers etc separately! 

4 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

Hi Bob, your flying along compared to me! I did spend pretty much all weekend working on my Bf109 build tho :whistle:

That's because I've ignored the interior, (as usual) life's too short to paint and detail something you you cannot see. :fraidnot:

4 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

I'll see if I  can recreate it the way you've done it too, but with a break somewhere around the idler. Wherever possible I try to paint tracks and wheels / return rollers etc separately! 

I always painted my wheels and tracks separately but found it awkward to assemble them afterwards, I copied this method from Lee @Longbowand found it worked well, so I'm sticking with  it. :like:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

That's because I've ignored the interior, (as usual) life's too short to paint and detail something you you cannot see. :fraidnot:

I always painted my wheels and tracks separately but found it awkward to assemble them afterwards, I copied this method from Lee @Longbowand found it worked well, so I'm sticking with  it. :like:

I copied it from Lester Plaskitte, on his "Corn Crusher" article, in one of the AFV modeling mags :D

But I'd found the same problem, with assembling tracks and wheels after painting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Update time!

20210228_202419

Stippled some paint onto the seat to try and make it look like worn leather. 

20210228_202412

20210228_202437

20210228_202356

Sprayed a bit of black around before phot etch vents and the like are applied.

20210301_163518

Working on the tracks at the moment, scraping off all the pin marks from the bottom sections for the tracks. Not bothering to do the top strip of track as they'll not get seen and there's a lot of them!

20210301_200140

• Like 10

Hi Aaron. That really does look to be progressing beautifully! I do like what you have done with the interior. Very nicely done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Cheers folks. 

Didn't fancy weathering the interior as it'll mostly not get seen, but nice to have finally done an interior. 

Been battling the tracks today and been able to get one side done. 

Started off by tackling the track around the drive sprocket, laid out the tracks flat and applied a bit of Tamyia ET, gave it a minute then wrapped the track around the sprocket, 

20210304_134931

20210304_141415

Then worked my way backwards. 

The kit comes with a jog for the top run to get the track sag, which turned out to be chuffin pointless. 

Part of the problem is after double checking I'd counted out the single links correctly, I ended up needing to remove two. 
Which wouldn't have been a problem if I could have removed them from the around the sprocket and idler. But as they'd already been glued had to take them from the top track. The top track has a couple of single links that  should sit above the return rollers to get the sag, but with two of these removed I could get much sag, if any. 

When I do the other side I'll hopefully have better luck!

20210304_144638

I've not completely glued them into a full loop, there's a break just above the drive sprocket, so with a bit of luck I'll be able to free that so I can paint the tracks completely separate for the wheels etc. 

I'll be glad to get the other side sorted then I get the rest of it assembled! 

Aaron

• Like 8