Wespe with some interior.

Nanond

One of my parallel projects, other than the Marder I in another post, is this Tamiya Wespe. 
I started building the driver's compartment and improving the fighting compartment details some 2 years ago then put it on shelf. 
Thanks to the new Marder I, I brought it down from the shelf to be painted along with the Marder. 

Here are some construction pics from before.

D5Nbdot.jpg

AN9dT9m.jpg

The driver's compartment benefited greatly from the gearbox taken from Dragon panzer II. The gearbox would be almost a waste hidden in a panzer II anyway. The rest of the compartment was detailed up with plastic sheet, part from spare box and some scratch-built items. 

OrpP5i3.jpg

LZLxkrQ.jpg

ywKIfI2.jpg

UMFTcpm.jpg

Zq8o5HF.jpg

The fighting compartment walls were detailed up based on photo from Nuts & Bolt excellent book on the subject.

Nanond

• Like 9

Since the ammunition will be an important part of the final display, I put some effort into it.
The first plan to use AFV club le.FH18 ammunition set quickly ran into a problem. The projectile crates provided are very difficult to use. I attempted to modify one to see how much effort it would take to get a useable result. After spending half an hour and seeing the half-good result, I didn't see how that could work for the rest 35 of them. I turned to CAD up the crates in Solidworks and had it 3D printed, together with loads more of the projectiles. The result was satisfactory, much superior in detail and easier to use. The printed parts are delicate but require very little clean-up (not including the post-processing required when it comes out from the printer). I broke 2 of them but the other 23 survived:)

bzjyJtG.jpg

QO9wFYZ.jpg

wDTdMSx.jpg

• Like 10

wow! that's some impressive 3D printing - how much clean-up did the parts need? I'm considering scanning some (scratchbuilt) figures I'm working on. What printer did you use?

The rest of your work is exemplary as well - beautiful detail painting!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Model Mate said:

wow! that's some impressive 3D printing - how much clean-up did the parts need? I'm considering scanning some (scratchbuilt) figures I'm working on. What printer did you use?

The rest of your work is exemplary as well - beautiful detail painting!

Right out of the printer, it went into an Isopropyl alcohol tank to remove excess, uncured resin. But once the part is fully cured, there is little further work needed. For these parts, they are able to support themselves without the need for much support material. So I could just break it off its sprue and lightly sanded the area smooth. Other 3D printed parts may require more extensive support, those scaffolding things you might have seen before, under any hanging part. 

I had access to a Form3 at my work, which would have been an overkill for the task if I had to buy the printer. Many home printers can do this kind of parts as well while costing just a few hundreds $ for the printer.

2 hours ago, vytautas said:

Superb! I also really enjoyed the painting and all the extra details you added 👍
I didn’t know there were two seats in the driver’s compartment. Which crew member was sitting in the second seat?

Vytautas

Yeah, take your guess. I have no idea what the second seat is used for. It doesn't look like a comfortable place to be.

8 hours ago, edjbartos said:

beautiful work, painting is superb, its all looks fabulous....

Ed

Thank you.

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I can only agee - some lovely clean scratch work - some beauftiful painting and those shells are just stunning:clap2:

Rob

Thank you. Yeah, I think I more I look at it the more I love those shells and crates.

2 hours ago, Jack Klugman said:

I really love what you have done so far, outstanding model

Thank you. Let's hope the exterior turns out as great. 

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

very nice, will watch this for inspiration when  start my Wespe at some point this year

You're welcome. It'll be great if what I've done is useful for you. I still have another Wespe, the newer one, left to do. 

Nanond

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

There is some lovely work going on here. The detailing and painting are very neat. 

Wayne

Thank you!

21 minutes ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hey Nanond

Great model so far!

I plan to buy a Phrozen Sonic this summer.
With your printer software, can you load STL or STEP files created on an external CAD PC?
I work with Inventor 2020.

Thanks
MD

Hi!

Yeah, I was looking at Phrozen to. The XY resolution is 0.35mm? That's like the best for the price.
For software, I used Formlab PreForm which I can load STL files into. In PreForm, I can reposition, resize, add support, check printability and stuff. The finished file can then be uploaded to the printer. I don't know if other softwares work with Form printers. 

Nanond

Hello Nanond
I also plan to do this model, so I want to clarify as much as possible.
Did you sand the sidewalls of the fighting compartment to real thickness? I asked because the cone at the top of the walls (in the inner side) is very clearly visible on the model, but in your's, I can't see it.

47 minutes ago, Nanond said:

Thank you!

Hi!

Yeah, I was looking at Phrozen to. The XY resolution is 0.35mm? That's like the best for the price.
For software, I used Formlab PreForm which I can load STL files into. In PreForm, I can reposition, resize, add support, check printability and stuff. The finished file can then be uploaded to the printer. I don't know if other softwares work with Form printers. 

Nanond

my choice is the Sonic Mini 4K with 35 Micron (399,99 €)

MD

48 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Hello Nanond
I also plan to do this model, so I want to clarify as much as possible.
Did you sand the sidewalls of the fighting compartment to real thickness? I asked because the cone at the top of the walls (in the inner side) is very clearly visible on the model, but in your's, I can't see it.

I just sanded down the ridge. It is a very shallow curve when seen up-close on the model, but maybe a bit difficult to see in photos. 

5 minutes ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

my choice is the Sonic Mini 4K with 35 Micron (399,99 €)

MD

That's a friendly price tag.

Nanond

• Thanks 1

Because the weather was too nice to be at home, just a little more got done over the weekend. 

IT5ujuf.jpg

Not an AFV but some crew men wouldn't hurt. Although released in 1996 and literally years behind the current standard, these Tamiya figures still look quite nice and will go nicely into my little Wespe vignette.

jduU0f9.jpg

Nanond

Edited by Nanond
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...