Edwards 1/72 Albatros

Going to try my hand at another biplane kit, this Eduards duo kit I picked up from eday last year, made a start on but never go very far but now determine to finish them both. 

IMG-20210130-150552.jpg

Just about at this piont when I reopened the but I did fit the upper wing to one. I did this because last 1/72 biplane I build  a Fokker DVII I had real trouble getting the upper wing and struts to glue and stay in place after I panited them. So this time I will have a bit of a masking nightmare to contend with but the wing is on and look almost in line. 

• Like 9

Those new colours look spot on. When I did an Airfix DV I found it was really hard to get a decent purple. After much faffing about with various blues and reds I settled for a sort of muddy lilac...

Looking forward to seeing these painted up.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2021 at 12:29 AM, AdrianMF said:

After much faffing about with various blues and reds I settled for a sort of muddy lilac...

Not really used to colour matching and I thought I was going to end up with the same sort of muddy purple but added a bit of yellow and red and it come out OK. Repainted the wings now much happier with them all. 

dav.jpg

• Like 4

@Bob C.Finally getting to use these after much deliberation.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:46 AM, Marklo said:

Try figuring out even the colour let alone the exact shade for a MK IV tank.

I can only guess the discussion the rivet countries might have... 😉

First time building full PE guns... What fun.... Oh my eyes are bleeding... :nerdy: but quite enjoying my self. 

dav.jpg

• Like 3

So while I was waiting for a few small parts to dry after painting last night, I made a start on the decals. They are OK, the wing marking are quite heavy and the dragon did end with a few rips but they are on and glossed in place. 

Wheels, prop and fiddly PE parts still to fit and finish painting, pink tyres sound fun. 

IMG-20210215-085852.jpg
IMG-20210215-085906.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

do you have any idea why they were pink? 

it’s a very early LGBT sign  ( you now like Tinky Winky being purple and his(?) antenna being an inverted triangle) Your lighting is emitting on a different spectra that is making the gray look pink?

Well I know the Germans were reliant on synthetic rubber but I always thought that was a pale gray colour.

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Brian!

How've you been?  Seema like you survived the past year, keep staying safe!

The Albatri (?) look great.  Especially like that prop, and I think the dragon came out nice.  That is one of the markings I intend doing someday. 

I should probably look this up before I type (but I'm not going to), but I think it wasn't so much the need for synthetic rubber - in those days, that was (OK, I had to look it up) the natural color of rubber.  Pre-war, it could even be white.  Acceptable WWI colors are indeed pink, and light gray.  Seems like it was the very end of the war when carbon black was added to increase wear and resistance to UV rays, even to produce better handling.  OK, lesson over.  Class dismissed. 

Anyway, glad you tried the MGs.  BTW, how did you do the prop?  That really looks spot on.

Best wishes, 

Bob C   

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So after a bit a sci-fi kit bash I'm back these two little planes, the second one seems to be  coming together a lot better than the first and I'm a lot happier with the overall look of it so far. I did lift the two gun so they are a little more visible once the upper wing goes on, not strictly as per it would look in the real work but at least I can see my work once finished. 

dav.jpg
dav.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/19/2021 at 7:52 PM, Bob C. said:

Anyway, glad you tried the MGs.  BTW, how did you do the prop?  That really looks spot on.

Best wishes, 

Bob C   

Hi Bob, 

It was a bit ruff at times with lock down etc but doing even better now just landed a proper job again working for the sleep charity, going to head of there commissioning services, so all good.  As for the prop I king of winged it 😉, base colour of pale earth them using a fine brush I did the lines using brick red, them over those with a dark red/brown to widen and fade the edges, then I thinned the red/brown and did the same again, until I was happy with the look, I might have done a sepia wash on top and gloss to finish.  

All the best Brian.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

For a second I was trying to work out what bit of Albatros your sci-fi model was! Must get out more... Both of them look great.

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers, just a 1/144 lightning had to give its life for that sci-fi build.

On 2/20/2021 at 8:52 PM, Marklo said:

I know the Germans were reliant on synthetic rubber but I always thought that was a pale gray colour.

Also, vulcanization didn't really happen until the 1920s so all rubber was tannish/pinkish/greyish.  

I agree...I think his are a bit too pink, but it might be just the photo.

Lovely build regardless.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2021 at 7:21 AM, John Masters said:

Lovely build regardless.

Thanks you,

Not the best out come as my lines are a bit wobbly but her is the paint I used and few WIP of the painting the prop. The wash add the end realy helps with the colour and to blure the lines. 

IMG-20210413-102617.jpg
IMG-20210413-101317.jpg
IMG-20210413-100851.jpg
IMG-20210413-100542.jpg

• Like 2