Panzer V Panther A, Takom 1/35

Marco1965

It has been years since I last assembled an armored vehicle, but the full interior line of armor from Takom is simply irresistible to me.  I started with the one I like most, the Sd. Kfz. 171 Panther A mid-late.  The kit comes in a surprisingly big box, which is full to the top with sprue and some PE for the engine vents grills.  Zimmerit, offers full interior, and I mean full, every tiny detail is there.  

NgSNQs3l.jpg

Tracks are provided in plastic, either as segments or individual tracks, includes a jig to assemble the tracks and then put them on the vehicle, need to try that one.

5cyPYRtl.jpg

Some ejection marks here and there, most surely they will end up hidden in an invisible place, but I got rid of them anyway.

33KeH6El.jpg

Takom provides plastic sheets with the Zimmerit molded on them, that attach to the outer side of the hull.  I guess a good way of using the same base parts for either with or without Zimmerit.

lCRiQ0Dl.jpg

Gearbox is a beauty, lots of detail, matches all references that I have, all parts fit perfectly, no issues at all.

MaKi7i1l.jpg

kBl23Acl.jpg

And after trying to stop assembling this beauty several times, I could not resist looking at all the detail that is added in every step, I stopped only when I reached the moment where painting starts, that will be another day.  Fully satisfied!

gdZtBytl.jpg

Marco

Edited by Marco1965
  • Like 20

Continued with the interior paint.  I followed the recommended Ammo Mig colors for the Redbrown and the Cream White, they look good.  Applied some preshading, although I know most of the floor will not be visible, didn´t feel good having a featureless redbrown paintjob.

scsv15Ll.jpg

CEQfCtkl.jpg

I have my reserves though, following color recommendations of Dark gray for the gearbox and differential gearbox.  The few available pictures show a lighter tone, and in most cases a different tone between gearbox and differential gearbox.  As the general principle was that subassemblies like gearbox, engine, were left in the same color as delivered from the production plant, which varied, I used a more neutral gray (RAL 7012) for the gearbox and a mix of Bright Green 3:1 Base Gray.  Weathering still pending.

eqYIUzEl.jpg

Added some minor details that might be visible once finished, like the hydraulic duct to the right of the radio-operators seat.  Will add some more afterwards after checking if they will be visible or not.

BhJu6gKl.jpg

Very interesting to learn all the interior details of these beasts, hoping that at least some decent part of it will be visible after closing the hull!

Marco

• Like 7

It is difficult to stop assembling this kit!  I continued working with the torsion bars, let me tell you that locating the 32 torsion bars in place was a matter of patience and resignation.  I sanded round the tips of the longer bars to make it easier for them to snap in place.  In the end it all wend well, didn´t break nor needed to cut anything.

Only testing what lay ahead of me.

fOLgPzal.jpg

But first I glued the gearbox and differential gearbox in place.  Not as easy as I had imagined, some pressure is needed to make the sub-assembly pass through the "beams" that were already glued to the floor.  Once through, gluing it to the floor was easy

3EBp5Ial.jpg

Added some scratches to the edges, just testing new techniques.

ZIBgduEl.jpg

And some more scratches to the sidewalls.  Notice that hydraulic lines were added to the hydraulics on the left wall.  Additional weathering with artist pastels was applied to the hull floor.

YQY1FX5l.jpg

I put in place the left wall of the hull, put couple clamps and left it dry overnight, all looked good.  Notice the rounded tips of the torsion bars, sanded with the hope of making them fit easier.  Installed the pipes going from the engine to the floor, better to do it at this stage than before, as instructed in the manual.

jL5Y8hWl.jpg

And the right sidewall, all 32 torsion bars are in place!  It required patience, aligning and inserting all the bars with the help of a toothpick, not to scratch the paint.  Some paint retouches will be needed here and there, but he worst part is over!

wXsevLYl.jpg

sXd2meEl.jpg

Finally I installed the column to which the controls are attached.  Instructions indicate installing it before putting the sidewalls, but it is much easier to do it afterwards.   I never realized until now, that the structures on the differential gearbox that look like spear tips, are in fact part of the support of the control column, smart.

xcbULhHl.jpg

And this is as far as I have gone, I am really enjoying this one.  Let´s see how much of this is visible at the end, but anyway, the learning experience is incredible.

Marco

• Like 17

Going on with the interior details, incredible all the stuff that these things carried internally, learning a lot about it with this kit.  I continued with the driver and radio-operator seats and floor areas, fitting the floors to the hull requires patience, put they snap in place perfectly!

w3NRrQyl.jpg

4EFkikll.jpg

The battery containers snapped in place, as well, little bit tight but there they are.  Painting the covers was sort of an interrogation mark, in pictures of original Panthers (not restorations), the covers seem to be metal, could have been steel, not painted.  Takom suggests a color that in the pictures looks quite dull black "Polished Metal", which I preferred not to use.  I used NB Steel and rubbed artists pastels (black) to give the impression of unpainted metal.

bW9DGzEl.jpg

And in place

EuUw5tQl.jpg

Finally the sidewals of the engine compartment.  I have the impression that I might have issues with the alignment of these parts once I install the parts around them, we´ll see later on.

nc94jQMl.jpg

Marco 

• Like 15

There is some very impressive work going into this build Marco, your painting, grime and wear effects are top notch.

I do admire you guys that build full interior kits, the efforts you put into areas that will probably never be seen amazes me.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

Indeed, I had issues with the engine compartment walls... For some unknown reason, the left wall did not fit properly, because suspension parts interfered with the lower edge of the wall and lower part of the fuel tank.  As none lf these parts are going to be seen, I crudely trimmed both offenders and made the parts fit properly.  I don´t know what did I do wrong.

Hqekk8El.jpg

After that quick fix, everything fell in place perfectly, still some pressure needed but nothing unexpected.

4tARqGUl.jpg

SLn4opnl.jpg

Finished the driver´s instruments, nice decals provided in the kit.  Still need to apply some gloss varnish to the dials.

knPfL4ul.jpg

Worked on the transmission shaft that goes from the engine to the gearbox, installed it without issues.

wGC2lx9l.jpg

Installing the shafts requires some trimming here and there, but the result is perfect, everything falls in place!

AVnRLbnl.jpg

The shaft that will connect to the engine ended up being centered, without really trimming anything, kudos to Takom.

p0FWfYjl.jpg

And started working on the 75mm ammunition, first the HEs.  Quite funny, the kit provides 48 HEs and 48 APs, but... only around 40+ in total do fit in the tank, the rest, you can keep for a nice diorama!  (Decals are limited too, only 44 stencilings for the shells are provided)

jFJLZrXl.jpg

Marco

• Like 15

Finished applying decals to the 75mm shells, I have to say that the decals provided in the kit are one of the very best I have tried!  I applied decals to I think 21 HE shells, the remaining ones will be for the AP shells, and there sill be lots of shells that won't be used.

ZkmPJsol.jpg

I installed the first three shells in the racks under the floor, no issues at all, look nice!  And added some lines (scratch built with wire) that go from the gearbox to the pipes on the right wall, they will be visible afterwards, when removing the turret.

2cfWb3sl.jpg

aFbgIdtl.jpg

Instructions don't mention it, but don't forget to install the rear left ammo rack before installing the floor... All the other ones are easier to install afterwards.

rwPLfAdl.jpg

I finished assembling the vertical ammo racks, only HE projectiles are provided for the racks, I added one HE just for the sake of comparing colors and size, and left some openings, didn't like to see everything full with ammo.

sdlSZTkl.jpg

bJmIYvfl.jpg

I finished the floor, weathered, and proceeded to install it, kind of tricky, but in the end the floor is level, glued in place.

AevodMtl.jpg

XKxkALil.jpg

An finally I installed the ammo racks in place, some trimming was necessary on the back part of the front racks, after that, they fell in place easily.

6v3jzWbl.jpg

Q4aCLUbl.jpg

Marco

• Like 14

Looks really good, Marco.
You somehow managed to make something decent out of the plastic ammo.

But don't store different types of ammo in the same bin.

It may seem boring in the modelling perspective, but they definitely didn't store it that way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Looks really good, Marco.
You somehow managed to make something decent out of the plastic ammo.

But don't store different types of ammo in the same bin.

It may seem boring in the modelling perspective, but they definitely didn't store it that way.

Hey I have been following your Panther!  Amazing project!  It has been difficult to find proper references of operational Panther´s interior, in fact I´ve got none, only from production or I guess manuals (and of course I don´t like restorations as reference).  About the ammo, I didn´t know they would not mix ammo types, sound´s reasonable though.  This time, it will stay there, already glued, artistic license, 🙂

Marco

• Like 1