Sturmhaubitze 42 Ausf.G with10.5cm howitzer

Retired Bob

Well I assumed the same as you Bob. @Foxbat is this wrong with a lot of models then as I've seen lots of pics with other models where they have it in the same position as Bob does. I'm assuming that means that my model is wrong too then as to have the shield in an upright position do you have to have the hatch door open to secure it? I'm really confused now. Tamiya's instructions for the model I'm making show that the position Bob has it in is the 'stored' position and then it is pulled up when in use so is Tamiya incorrect then? 

Kris

• Like 1

I only know because I read (and commented on) Ozzy's recent post about the shield in the reference section:

Just stumbled across this post by @Jo NZ showing the Stug III G's MG shield with its support (the loader's hatch).

Read that and you'll know exactly as much as I do :)

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good to see you back Bob, beginning to wonder where you'd gone!

Stug camo looks great too btw, I like the faded yellow. Probably said it before but that looks a neat way of dealing with the tracks and wheels, wish I'd done it earlier on myself.

Thanks @Foxbat and @Jo NZfor the finding and sharing the info on the shield, everyday's a school day!

Atb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Well I assumed the same as you Bob. @Foxbat is this wrong with a lot of models then as I've seen lots of pics with other models where they have it in the same position as Bob does. I'm assuming that means that my model is wrong too then as to have the shield in an upright position do you have to have the hatch door open to secure it? I'm really confused now. Tamiya's instructions for the model I'm making show that the position Bob has it in is the 'stored' position and then it is pulled up when in use so is Tamiya incorrect then? 

In one of my StuG books I have those photos of how the gun shield is retained in position by the forward gunners hatch door using a bracket with a hole onto a pin on the shield, it was how the gun shield lay when stored I wasn't sure, but the curved fin device  that Andy @Foxbat describes makes more sense..  To have the shield upright with a m/g in position really needs a figure in the hatch, the m/g just pivoted on a steel pin in the shield opening and there was another pin on the top edge of the shield for anti-aircraft use.  My hatch lids are all just taped shut while painting so that I have the option to put a figure in. :winkgrin:

Thanks to @Foxbat and @Retired Bob for the info regarding the gun shield.  So definitely agreed then, if the gunners hatch door is closed (as in the case of my model) the shield cannot be in the upright position as it is kept upright by being fixed to the hatch door - got it 👍  I'll have to correct this then.  However, just to be clear so I get this right - are we saying that to be in the correct position when 'stored', the shield should lay on top of the hatch and not laying forward as in the case of your model Bob?

Thanks

Kris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, planecrazee said:

However, just to be clear so I get this right - are we saying that to be in the correct position when 'stored', the shield should lay on top of the hatch and not laying forward as in the case of your model Bob?

That's correct, gun shield lays back on top of the hatch, changed mine already.  Again a big thanks to Andy @Foxbat and @Jo NZ for the information.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Good to see you back Bob, beginning to wonder where you'd gone!

Hi Darryl, you know how it is, the ole ball and chain had to use up some of her annual leave, so along with a dental appointment and getting my jab I've had reduced modelling time.

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Stug camo looks great too btw, I like the faded yellow. Probably said it before but that looks a neat way of dealing with the tracks and wheels, wish I'd done it earlier on myself.

The faded yellow is Tamiya XF-88.  That way of assembling the tracks and wheels (the Lee method) is now how I prefer to make my tracks if possible, saves a lot of hassle. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

That's great - thanks for coming back to me Bob - I'll make the necessary corrections to my model too.

A big thanks to @Foxbat and @Jo NZ also for the information they provided :thumbsup:

That's why BM is so fantastic - such a wealth of knowledge from everyone and the ability to share information and to help and assist each other with our builds - absolutely love it.

Thanks guys

Kris

• Like 3

There are times when it could be stowed forward. The gunners hatch was the crew access hatch, and also where shells and supplies were loaded. In those cases it would be folded forward. During transit the gunner would probably like to see where he was going, too!

• Like 2

Hi Bob. This one is looking fantastic too. Excellent progress. Interesting discussion about the shield too. We learn so much being here on Britmodeller! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 19:33, Jo NZ said:

There are times when it could be stowed forward. The gunners hatch was the crew access hatch, and also where shells and supplies were loaded. In those cases it would be folded forward. During transit the gunner would probably like to see where he was going, too!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, here is a photo of a StuG with the shield laid forward, so which ever way you put your gun shield it's not wrong. :winkgrin:

9241634434_cd4b8a3a19_b.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a quick update on how my StuH looks now that I have applied a dark wash and some flat varnish to aid with the weathering process.

IMG_1567

Any comments or questions are always welcome.

• Like 8