Sturmhaubitze 42 Ausf.G with10.5cm howitzer

Retired Bob

This Dragon kit has been in my stash for a good few years in fact for so long I had forgotten about it, so for this STGB I bought the Das Werk kit which is almost the same kit.  I say almost, the Dragon kit has magic tracks, the Das Werk has link and length tracks.  I have metal barrels with brass muzzle brakes for both.  My intention is to build this kit first and then build the DW kit afterwards as a StuG Ausf.G 75mm.

Here is a photo of the box lid and the bagged contents.

IMG_1447

• Like 12

Hi Stix, I'm fine, hope you are ok as well.  I think the waffle pattern zimmerit was the clincher for me, then buying the Das Werk kit when it was a re-boot of this Dragon kit.  :doh: At least I can  build it as a different variant, roll on next weekend. :winkgrin:

On 03/02/2021 at 22:48, Jasper dog said:

Nice kit Bob, hows the zimm compared to Dragons Tiger moulded on?

The moulded on zimmerit is much better on this kit than on Dragons Tigers and King Tigers, this is the same with all the variants of Panzer IV that they applied zimmerit to, they obviously employed someone that either knew what he was doing, or did some research.  What I mean by this is, it's in scale, it's not plastered over all the panels, they have left it off where it was not applied, behind exhausts, etc and it fades out realistically just like the real coatings did.  In fact Dragons Panthers and JagdPanther are good, it's just their Tigers and KT's they got wrong. :shrug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Started de-bagging my StuH, here are some photos before I start cutting and gluing.  this is the waffle pattern zimmerit.

IMG_1500

As I posted earlier, they did not plaster the zimmerit over all the panels, here on the hull sides there is just the area between the wheels that is coated.

IMG_1501

The wheels are much like those in the Bronco kit, except these are not broken. :whistle:

IMG_1503

• Like 9

Hi Bob. That Zimmerit does look excellent as do your rather lovely aftermarket bits and pieces. This is going to certainly be a project to follow! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

Have you decided on a scheme?

I've been thinking about a winter finish, I've seen a nice worn winter finish with T-34 tracks as extra armour and winter ketten tracks. :idea:

20+ years ago I bought a set of Dragon winter ketten and they are still in my AM stash (I NEVER get rid of things)  A bit more work than the magic tracks but no problem for an obsessed modeller. :mental:

IMG_1504

• Like 5

Todays update, all the torsion bar suspension and axles have been fitted along with the exhausts and other bits for the lower hull.

Wheels, sprockets and idlers are all done.  I found some all steel return rollers in the spares box, these were fitted to late build StuH, just got to decide on which mantlet to fit, both the saukopf and the box type were used during the last year of the war. :hmmm:

IMG_1506

• Like 8

I always enjoy the start of a build, finding the parts on the sprue and the quick progress.  I want to get the worst part over and done with next, cleaning up the track links and assembling them, if I leave it to last it could well end up stalled and trackless. :unsure:

• Like 1

On 06/02/2021 at 23:36, Retired Bob said:

Started de-bagging my StuH, here are some photos before I start cutting and gluing.  this is the waffle pattern zimmerit.

IMG_1500

As I posted earlier, they did not plaster the zimmerit over all the panels, here on the hull sides there is just the area between the wheels that is coated.

IMG_1501

The wheels are much like those in the Bronco kit, except these are not broken. :whistle:

IMG_1503

Hey Bob

The Zimmerit details look very good and save a lot of time and trouble.

Have fun!
MD

• Thanks 1

Todays update, still cleaning up track links but For a break from that I cleaned up all the parts for the engine deck and front plate, luckily Dragon have attached them to the sprues on surfaces not covered by zimmerit which makes it easier to clean up the parts  and there is no damage to the zimm.

IMG_1507

All the plastic bits glued together and the engine deck dry fitted onto the hull, there are a few fiddly bits and the p/e yet to attach but I will leave them until later, I'll only knock them off or break them if I put them on now.  I found it easier to glue the hatch frames to the hatches and then glue them to the deck panels.

IMG_1510

The assembled tracks sections are sized to fit to the 6 wheels that contact the ground.  The winter ketten are being assembled in sections and glued to the wheels, sprockets, idlers and rollers to make a removable assembly.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Do you have any plans for some snow?

Just got to look out of the window for that, might be a change of plan, I have found a picture of a white painted StuG Ausf.G, no zimmerit, built in the Alkett factory, with winter ketten and fitted to the front, a SNOWPLOUGH, photo isn't that sharp, looks like the workshop has fabricated it out of sheet steel but it has piqued my interest, another but, I have only the one set of winter ketten. :hmmm:

I do have an un-built Stug Ausf.G, no zimmerit and the Alkett factory trademarks, hmm...stick to my plan or change. :hmmm:

• Like 3

Update time, I have ordered a Dragon Panzer III StuG Ausf.G from China so that I have a decent kit to build a snowplough equipped StuG, I have used this supplier before and it takes 4/5 weeks to get here.  So more work on the StuH, I am fitting standard tracks in my standard method, all glued together except for the outer set of wheels so they can be painted easier.  I have got a set of extra armour plates by Aber, looks like I'll have to try soldering because c/a isn't isn't going to be strong enough for these.  Photos of these machines at the factory show they were made with the racks for rear deck stowage and the side armour plates, but I hate hiding all that lovely waffle zimmerit. :winkgrin:

IMG_1513

• Like 11