My First StuG “Löwe”.

Corsairfoxfouruncle

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very likely It is my ham-fistedness then 

Not necessarily Dennis. A few years back, I put together a 1/48 Tamiya AFV kit (all of which we know have near perfect fit!) but the link & length tracks, no matter what I did, had a half links' worth of gap on each side. I cannot remember which kit it was but I ended up having to bend links and cut one or two to get them to look okay. The kit had a metal hull so that shouldn't have been the issue. There must be some kits where there are slight variations in the finished parts which result in problem fit.

Yours looks fine and a bit of mud, here and there, should cover anything you are not happy with.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Good morning everyone... The Paint arrived yesterday and I was able to spend a few hours tonight painting the StuG. Zd8GxXD.jpg

cz649pp.jpg

vTDm791.jpg

7DQPWVs.jpg

nlVJXzD.jpg

I know the brown has a weird cast to it but it is an earth tone paint. This will have to go into hiatus now. My budget is strained at the moment so I need to wait to buy a crew and stowage for this. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 13

Hi Dennis,

Very attractive scheme. The brown looks good tending towards a red brown. 

Ray 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Wow, that’s looking dapper Dennis.

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Dennis,

Very attractive scheme. The brown looks good tending towards a red brown. 

Ray 

Thanks guys, it is a reddish hue but the way the light hits it it comes off as a pinkish purplish hue. Maybe in direct sunlight that will change ?

• 3 weeks later...

So Ive been deliberating but finally decided on the 185th StuG.Abt.
kDqrkh3.jpg

A bit of their history. 

Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 185

Wehrkreis responsible for formation: Wehrkreis III.
Date of Formation: 7 Feb.1941:
----- Formed by reorganizing & renaming Sturmartillerie-Abteilung 185.
First Commanding Officer: Major Lieckfeld
Replacement Units or Replacement & Training Units:
----- Unknown at this time.

UNIT HISTORY:
22 Feb.1941..... Attached to I. Armeekorps.
10 Apr.1941..... Unit attached to I. Armeekorps.
20 Jun.1941..... Attached to I. Armeekorps, 18. Armee, Heeresgruppe Nord.
22 Jun.1941..... Stu.Gesch.Abt.185 attached to I. Armeekorps, 18. Armee, Heeresgruppe Nord.
19 Jul.1941..... Unit attached to XXVI. Armeekorps, 18. Armee, Heeresgruppe Nord.
20 Aug.1941..... Unit (minus 1.Bttr./Stu.Gesch.Abt.185 - attached to Kampfgruppe (KGrp.) “Friedrich”), attached to XXVI. Armeekorps, 18. Armee, Heeresgruppe Nord.
1 Oct.1941..... Attached to XXXVIII. Armeekorps, 18. Armee, Heeresgruppe Nord.
19 Nov.1941..... Stu.Gesch.Abt.185 attached to I. Armeekorps.
21 Nov.1941..... Unit attached to I. Armeekorps, 16. Armee, Heeresgruppe Nord.
08 Dec.1941..... Attached to I. Armeekorps, now with 18. Armee, Heeresgruppe Nord.
13 Dec.1941..... Attached to I. Armeekorps, 18. Armee, Heeresgruppe Nord.
02 to 12 Jan.1942..... Stu.Gesch.Abt.185 assigned to 18. Armee (Reserve), Heeresgruppe Nord.
26 Jan.1942..... Assigned to 18. Armee (Reserve), Heeresgruppe Nord, minus one battery serving with XXVI Armeekorps, also of 18. Armee.
19 Jul.1942..... Unit (minus1.Bttr./Stu.Gesch.Abt.185 attached to XXVIII. Armeekorps) assigned to Höhere-Artillerie-Kommandeur (Harko) 302, 18. Armee, Heeresgruppe Nord.
14 Aug.1942..... 1.Bttr./Stu.Gesch.Abt.185 attached to L. Armeekorps.
Nov.1942..... Attached to LIX. Armeekorps, 9. Armee, Heeresgruppe Mitte, battling in the area of Velikie Luki.
Mar. to May 1943..... Stu.Gesch.Abt.185 transferred to the Mogilev area of the Eastern Front for a badly needed refit.
Jun. to Jul.1943..... Attached to XXIII. Armeekorps, 9. Armee, Heeresgruppe Mitte, which was serving north of Kursk, around Orel.
22 Jan.1944..... Stu.Gesch.Abt.185 (minus 2.Bttr./Stu.Gesch.Abt.185) attached to XXXXI. Panzerkorps, 9. Armee, Heeresgruppe Mitte.
24 Jan.1944..... 2.Bttr./Stu.Gesch.Abt.185 attached to LV. Armeekorps, 9. Armee, Heeresgruppe Mitte.
*14 Feb.1944..... Redesignated Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 185.

Notable members
Bodo Spranz (usually credited with 76 destroyed tanks but the exact number is unknown)”. 

The unit served with the 23rd Armeekorps near Orel north of Kursk in 1943. Ive added the few decals to the model, their was no indication of Hull numbers. I opted to leave them off in case anyone knows different please speak up ? tm2Z3Vr.jpg

lUJ5qaT.jpg

EZxYR0V.jpg

NpGciCM.jpg

Next up is the little bit of stowage Im going to be adding and then weathering. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone... Well all of the odds and ends are attached. Ive added the stowage and a homemade jerry can rack. Then I decided to cover it all with my 1st attempt of a Tissue/white glue tarp. 5lwxUTk.jpg

szkXbkZ.jpg

1m7RRrF.jpg

udkn3wK.jpg

vevMGdg.jpg

UZrIDgk.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Good morning everyone... Well the stowage is complete, I used tan thread to simulate the rope. MwRuPpg.jpg

taQil8f.jpg

Ive added the hatches and posed them open, I will add a crew at some point but probably not for a little while. Ive used my modeling budget up until June and ate into SWMBO’s gardening budget. 

nhTCSrh.jpg

qbDt7Sh.jpg

Next up is the weathering and then we’re done. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hi Dennis. Nice work with the thread/rope. I always think stowage looks 'right' when it properly held down by the rope. Lovely job. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Evening everyone ... Well Im calling this one done. I wont be able to get a crew until June at the earliest, so hope you like it. 22CAP0S.jpg

NRxXT2o.jpg

ywaPdRE.jpg

83AuqpZ.jpg

eUm7mjr.jpg

67aAjXK.jpg

My thoughts are that the crew shut down for the night after crossing some muddy ditches/fields and the mud has dried. Until I have a crew lets just say their all off on a latrine break. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Excellent result Dennis. That turned out beautifully. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for taking part in this STGB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent result Dennis. That turned out beautifully. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for taking part in this STGB.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for Running it, I only wish I had been able to participate in all of the other armor builds. 

• Like 2

Well done Dennis, Great contribution to the GB. These armour builds are time consuming little beasts aren't they? Very satisfying finish though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Well done Dennis, Great contribution to the GB. These armour builds are time consuming little beasts aren't they? Very satisfying finish though.

Yes I used to build quite a bit of armor back in the 90’s, mostly Sherman's and the late German heavy tanks. When I came back in 2015 the interest wasnt there so hadnt really done much. In fact Ive only done 4 builds since then. M10, M48, M3 Lee, and a 1/72 Panther. Now with this build my attraction to armor has rekindled and Im planning on a few more mostly Panzer III, IV, and Sherman tanks. Maybe the Leopard if the STGB happens. And maybe a Merkava to replace my old one ? 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dennis,

Result! I love the camo scheme: very 'octopussy' -  and they know a lot about camouflage! Nice result with the tarp too! I've not yet succeeded with that method, probably due to using the wrong type of tissue. Bog roll. lol.

BTW, I NEVER join the ends of the tracks together  'on the sprocket wheel'. That's the part of the track that gets seen most, so that's where you don't want to see any slightly awkward fit. I always join my tracks behind side-skirts/Schürzen, or, if the vehicle doesn't have them, on the length of track laying on the ground and directly under a wheel. If it's going to sit in a diorama then a bit of grass or mud will hide the join if it's a 'bit messy'.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1