My First StuG “Löwe”.

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everyone... Well where to start ? This is my first StuG that I will complete, I attempted a build 25 years or so ago. That stalled as I wanted to convert it to a late Saukopf variant, but my skills and lack of aftermarket meant it was doomed to failure. My second Takom kit and from inside the box it all looks good. b02AjaN.jpg

Followed by the obligatory box top and sprue shots. 

g6Gzj95.jpg

NXAA8ZV.jpg

EcR5kBT.jpg

DluVn96.jpg

I also have a sheet from back then of Tamiya Panzer unit decals so should theoretically be able to build from any unit anywhere. Though Im currently angling for Eastern front either Kursk or winter so I can white wash it ? Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Please feel free to post links to camouflage and photos. 

Adding Longbow’s link for reference. 

https://youtu.be/rhvEKoMhVLM

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 11

Hi Dennis.  Hope you are well. Now that looks like a lovely lot of plastic and photo-etch for you first(ish) StuG. I'm looking forward to following your project.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

Hi Dennis, I must admit I was tempted to buy this kit when I was looking for something new to build for this STGB, I have a couple of older StuG III and Panzer III tank kits from the 80s/90s that appeared in Dragon and Revell boxes but I'm not sure of their accuracy or buildability, so with newer kits on the bench why bother.  As I put on my thread I have ended up with 2 versions  of the same kit and my intention is to build them both, one as StuH the other as a Stug.  It will be interesting to see how your build goes, to see what I almost bought, well I can always get one if I like how it builds. :hmmm: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dennis, Will follow along with interest. I'll be posting a Dragon StuG.III Ausf.G a little later in the STGB. Ray

• Like 3

4 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Hi Dennis - will be watching your builds with interest as I am also building my first ever StuG for this GB so hopefully I can learn from your build too as we bump along together. :thumbsup:

Good luck - hope all goes well

Kris

Hello Kris...Happy to have you along, I should be starting sometime over next weekend. A bit of life pushing its way in and three aircraft on the bench ahead of the Stug. causing the delay.  

• Like 3

On 31/01/2021 at 23:26, Robert Stuart said:

Looks like a nice kit Dennis - and no Saukopf this time ;)

What is wrong with these kit manufacturers, there is a real reluctance to add saukopf mantlets to any StuG kit, don't they understand the ballistic improvements of having a saukopf mantlet fitted. :nod: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Morning everyone, being my first StuG and all I figured i should run a color experiment as Im not sure what to use for the Dunklegelb base ? All colors are Tamiya t2ekk4Z.jpg
1. red arrow - XF-60, 2. Green arrow - XF-57+XF-52, 3. Blue arrow - XF-60+XF-57, 4. Yellow arrow - XF-60+XF-52, 5. Purple arrow - XF57, 6. White arrow is so far off its not worth mentioning. My favorites are 1, 3, & 5 most likely going to go with 1 though. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

i should run a color experiment as Im not sure what to use for the Dunklegelb base ?

Hi Dennis, 

I like the mix 50% Dark Yellow XF-60 to 50% Deck Tan XF-55. Seems to be a common suggestion and one I have been very happy with. 

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

How did you find the fit of the rear panel part M11? One side slipped in really well, I had some choice words with the other side.

Im sure you did, I had to drill open the holes for the part to slide into place. Mine were too small and wouldn't allow the pins to slide through. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Morning everyone... Well a little more done today. Not much but its moving forward. I cant rush anyway, wont have enough paint until next weekend. No use in getting there and then having to wait for paint. CxnuMjO.jpg

q915HTX.jpg

QylORY3.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Morning everyone... well I have a bit more done here. Finished the upper hull, gun, and casemate. Still need to do the roof and all its bits. Two enemy hits on the vehicle there is what appears to be a 20mm antitank gun on the front plate which glanced off and hit the front casemate armor. r94DbNS.jpg
The gun is only taped in until the painting is done. 6Tsl2kU.jpg

UYLwZjF.jpg

cExwBrv.jpg

And here a larger anti-tank gun hit where the third smoke discharger was and glanced up into that armor plate. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7