Sand and Snow: Snow, change of track

Robert Stuart

A Panzer III Ausf N
pziii-001.jpg

I know, I said snow and the box says Tunisia (a country not noted for the cold), but there is method here.

The intent is to build a vehicle attached to Pz.Abt 503 in early 1943.
PzAbt 503 had trained for Africa, but were diverted to southern Russia after Stalingrad.

pziii-004.jpg

Some of these characters may be invited to crew the tank.

• Like 9

Hi Robert. Hope you are keeping well. Cool (well cold.......you see what I did there?!) idea for a project. Not built a Neo (or even seen one for that matter) but Dragon's Panzer IIIs usually look good in the box - got a few not built yet!! The MiniArt figures I have used before and they are well detailed.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Sprue shots?
This Neo Smart kit is, pretty much, a re-pop of a 2007 vintage Dragon Pz III N (kit 6431).  The tracks are different, there is new interior that I won't use, and the earlier kit had transparencies (not present here) and a jerry can rack on the turret roof (again, not preset here), and a few sprues have changed.

pziii-017.jpg

Sort of bored with full sprue shot, so I'll leave them for now ... if somebody insists, I'll post the images here - otherwise you can find them there:

Highlights
The decals ...
pziii-015.jpg

The brass is Dragon's usual Pz III brass, and the coloured decals above are the kit decals.

On the right are some Archer rub-down transfers that I intend using ... alright, six characters from that sheet.
Essentially they are black outlines for the turret numbers, which is fine, except that I want white middles - and that is where the Frisket Masking film comes in.
Of course, that is a long way into the future, and it might not happen ...

The Tracks
So far as I can see, all of Dragon's Neo Smart kits are Pz IIIs or StuG IIIs so can use the same track moulds*.  Based on what I can see of the Neo Smart tracks I suspect that they have some Pz IVs in the planning stage too.
* not sure about their StuG III B

pziii-007.jpg

There are two track sprues in the kit, containing the links and three or, maybe four, jigs.
The beams to left and right here (parts 8 and 9) are for the top run of the Pz III chassis, the long beam at the bottom (part 10) looks like a Pz IV top run.  No idea about part 11.

The other side of that sprue:

pziii-005.jpg

Those tracks, from another angle.
pziii-006.jpg

The track horns have the shadow of an open horn, but, they are blind.  On a Pz III N, we could get away with a blind horn (the tank and the track were around at the same time) but all the photos I've sees of a Pz III Ns had either open horns, or the track horns were uncertain.

I'll replace Dragon's tracks, either raiding my Takom Stug III, or use metal examples.

An irritation ...
According to a video I watched recently, the wheels on Dragon Pz IIIs can, sometimes, have broken pins.
pziii-016.jpg

One wheel here has a displaced pin, but still attached.  It is flanked by two wheels with broken off pins.  Of the broken off pins, I have one.  My first task will be to work on the pins I do have (thinks, could I hide the missing pin?)
The other sprue appears fine.

• Like 4

A little progress to report here ...
I've started working on the tyres, correcting the brand name moulded around the rim:
pziii-018.jpg

To avoid licencing complications, kit makers sometimes adapt the writing on components.
Here Dragon have spelt the name of the tyre maker as 'CONTINENTAU'  A bit of work with a fine chisel corrects that to 'CONTINENTAL'

I've also spread some glue around the lower hull,

pziii-019.jpg

Torsion bars added together with their clamps, front and rear suspension bumpers, brackets fir the mud guards, and final drive housings.

The Pz III N used (at least) two styles of lower hull.  With escape hatches, or without.  The vehicle I want to build did have escape hatches. 
Dragon have, in their time, offered both - this kit comes without openings for the escape hatches, but, hidden away on the sprues are a pair of escape hatches and their hinges.
There is some raised detail to remove from inside the doors, then I can glue them to the hull sides.

• Like 8

Hi Robert. Well it looks to be a nice kit - shame about the broken bits but they shouldn't be too hard to replace. Your kit has a lot of similarities with mine for the lower hull. And I applaud your dedication with turning all those Us to Ls!! Never even noticed that. I had to go and have a quick look at my wheels to see if they are the same....and of course they are! I had to look really hard mind to see they were Us! I haven't got the eyesight to be able to be doing what you are. My wheels may be 'strategically' muddy!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

My photos are going to be much like yours, The track sprues in the Das Werk Stug are the same, replacing the Magic Tracks from the original kit.  I have no idea what part 11 is either.  All the wheels on Panzer III or IVs have a U instead of L, and I have been changing them today as well. :winkgrin:

4 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

My photos are going to be much like yours, The track sprues in the Das Werk Stug are the same, replacing the Magic Tracks from the original kit.  I have no idea what part 11 is either.  All the wheels on Panzer III or IVs have a U instead of L, and I have been changing them today as well. :winkgrin:

Ah, yes.  Or you could remove some.  I was watching the Chieftain's walk around of the Bovingdon Pz III, and can't see the branding on the wheels at all

p.s. check the return rollers too

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Robert. Excellent progress again!! You are getting much more done over your two kits than I am with my one!! 👍

Kind regards,

Stix

Ah, but you have the excuse of moderating this build, having to read every post, and then responding - even if your author gave you no hooks.
Oh, and, you probably have a life beyond this forum (heresy, I know, but ...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A life beyond this forum, while in lockdown, now I know you have been sniffing the glue....too much! 🤣

As to the tyre branding, I have seen Continental and Vorwerk as raised lettering on tyres, but that has tended to be on museum pieces, now is that subtle sponsorship advertising used during restoration, I keep checking period photos but they just don't seem to focus on the wheels. having changed all those U's to L's I'm not keen to remove all the tyre lettering. :hmmm:

• Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 22:26, Robert Stuart said:

A Panzer III Ausf N
pziii-001.jpg

I know, I said snow and the box says Tunisia (a country not noted for the cold), but there is method here.

The intent is to build a vehicle attached to Pz.Abt 503 in early 1943.
PzAbt 503 had trained for Africa, but were diverted to southern Russia after Stalingrad.

pziii-004.jpg

Some of these characters may be invited to crew the tank.

Hello Robert

Your winter plan sounds good.
Do you also use snow effect and if so, how do you do it?

I have also chosen a figure from Panzerart in Poland and will also post pictures of the painting - I hope you will too!?
I think many of us will be interested in sharing our experiences.
My first figure in oil paint-it's going to be fun 😅

Good choice of smart kit- have fun!
MD

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Do you also use snow effect and if so, how do you do it?

Hello MD, thank-you
Panzerart figures look good on the web, though I haven't seen them 'in the resin' yet.
I have a MiniArt set, and, of course, some Hornet Heads, though I am having other thoughts.  The MiniArt figures are too well padded for the scene I'm looking for.

On snow - I plan to use Precision Ice and Snow products.  I've used the product before, but want a different effect this time.