Sand and Snow: Snow, change of track

Robert Stuart

Dragon tracks are, in general, not my favourite part of their kits.  I've yet to try their Magic Tracks, but, gluing individual links - or, rather their propensity to pop apart later, is unlikely to improve my view of them, so ...

In late-mid January, I ordered some MasterClub tracks for this build.
They arrived yesterday, but, the style I ordered was only produced from 1943.  Since this build is of a Jan / Feb '43 vehicle, I feel it is unlikely the tracks would have been available to a unit recently arrived at the front.

I've swapped my Takom Blitz, Stug III, tracks for the MasterClub set.  Yes, they are Link-n-Length, but I don't want to wait another 20 odd days for the metal items

pziii-025.jpg

Takom tracks on the sprue compared with an assembled top run of Dragon Neo Tracks (+ jig).

Takom track sprues, cut for painting
pziii-026.jpg

Between the two sprues is an assembled Dragon top run together with their left and right Pz III top run jigs .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Robert Stuart changed the title to Sand and Snow: Snow, tracking on
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @PlaStix thanks for asking.
The weather slowed me down earlier (I paint outside) and I've been distracted by the Africa build - more specifically by the stats there.

Now, the weather has improved and I'm getting a spray booth, so that excuse is going away (I hope).

The stats ...

Africa_0228.jpg

... well, that is another form of modelling.

• Like 3

Hi Robert.  I'm pleased the weather is getting better for painting. And cool about the stats. It brings another level of interest to a GB.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

I lost a lifting hook to the carpet some time back, so I bought a dinosaur some 3d printed hooks...

pziii-028.jpg

The instructions for these said prime then as soon as they arrive, so I did - the resin is black rather than the grey seen here.  The important ones are blurred here, but see the last image in this post.

Painting has started (hope that pleases 'Stix)
pziii-029.jpg

Grey primer on grey plastic doesn't show well, but the black shadow colour should help.

And a dry fit of some components.
pziii-030.jpg

The crew compartment is unpainted here, but the rest is primed.  I've pulled our two of the 3d printed lifting hooks here in false colour.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Painting has started (hope that pleases 'Stix)

It certain does Robert!! :thumbsup: great to see more progress on this and it's looking very good too! Those replacement lifting hooks do look very nicely detailed!

Kind regards,

Stix

One of the problems with writing about a build that works is ... there is little to say about what happened, it just worked.

Still working on the turret:
    The interior has been painted white, and a start has been made with the exterior RAL 8000 Gelbbraun
    Side doors have been painted RAL 8000 (inside) and glued on
    The gun has been assembled and mounted

pziii-035.jpg

Why RAL 8000?  I did say in the OP "The intent is to build a vehicle attached to Pz.Abt 503 in early 1943."
In early 1943 Pz.Abt 503 (later s.Pz.Abt. 503) was equipped with a mix of Tiger tanks and Pz III Ns.

The unit had trained for Africa, but was diverted to Southern Russia following the events at Stalingrad.
When delivered, the Tiger tanks were RAL 8000; at the time they were new and unusual vehicles, and the colour excited comment.

The colour of the Pz IIIs is harder to determine, they could have been supplied grey, or one of the dessert schemes (gelbbraun RAL 8000 or braun RAL 8020).
Dragon, in an earlier Pz III N kit suggested grey for this vehicle.

I'm not convinced.  The Germans had plenty of time to prepare these Pz IIIs for the desert, but little time to paint them grey for Russia.

Turret, dry fitted.
pziii-033.jpg

The front and front left cupola vision ports are open.  To avoid overspray, the 'glazing' (hardly call them periscopes) has been left out for the moment.  The other three ports are closed, so their 'glass' has been applied.
(Inverted commas, because these are grey plastic, not clear).

The main turret components in their current state

pziii-034.jpg

At least, photographing the model, I noticed that one of the smoke launcher tubes came off - it is sitting by the turret, ready to be glued back on as soon as I send this post.

And I said this was to be a short post - maybe next time?

• Like 7

Hi Robert. Great to see more progress and it looking rather good! :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to when you start to get the paint on the outside! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Paint on the outside?
Oh? OK

Here is a start...

pziii-038.jpg

This is dry fitted, the  upper hull and fenders are still separate pieces (as are the drive sprockets and idler).

Obviously, we want more paint here.
There are several small components to add before that happens 

• Like 6

• Robert Stuart changed the title to Sand and Snow: Snow, painting started

Had a chance to start working on the tracks today:

pziii-039.jpg

These are link and length tracks from the Takom Blitz StuG III - the long top runs, with their moulded in sag, seem to fit Dragon's Pz III chassis well.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

All coming together nicely Robert, looking rather brown so that it's well camouflaged on top of cardboard boxes, cunning! :thumbsup:

Fair comment. I did try photographing against a white ground, but the hull and tracks were so dark, they were unreadable.

• Like 1

The inspiration for my build is photo 17 in Volker Ruff's Der Tiger Volume 3 Schwere Panzerabteilung 503

pziii-040.jpg

The photo to the left of the page fold.
I'm not sure yet if I'll include the board (door?) bridging the gun muzzle and turret, though the figure in photo 18 is likely to be a guide for my own figure.

A start has been made on the base ...

pziii-041.jpg

In the background here, you can see a new toy that allows me to paint even if there is a gale blowing outside ...

• Like 7

• Robert Stuart changed the title to Sand and Snow: Snow, basis for the build

Progress 👍!

I can see a well worn and used III coming along nicely out of ths Robert, good size base too!

I've volumes 1 & 2 of the Der Tiger book, and really enjoyed them, just not sure I have V3... or if I do, what I've done with it...🤔

Wonderful progress Robert. I do like your paintwork! And the tracks look to be going together very well. Great to see you have made a start on your base too. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 13/03/2021 at 14:40, Jasper dog said:

I can see a well worn and used III coming along nicely out of ths Robert, good size base too!

No promises as to well worn.

On 13/03/2021 at 16:58, PlaStix said:

And the tracks look to be going together very well.

They were, but they have done what link-and-length tracks always do for me, separated back into their component parts :(

That aside ... progress.
A thin and flexible sheet of polystyrene foam has been glued over the base, base painting has started.
The wheels have been glued together and the outer edges of the tyres painted a darker grey
pziii-043.jpg

I'm not sure yet if the darker grey will work: the intent is to contrast the damp area in contact with the running surface with the side walls.

The exhausts have been painted a dark grey and attached too:

pziii-045.jpg

And snow has been applied to the lower hull sides (and underside and back and front)

pziii-044.jpg

This is, probably, a bit over-the-top at the moment, but is easy to remove with a damp brush.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Difficult to tell re' the snow with out seeing it in context, however judging by the snow around the swinging arms its hardly excessive so I'm sure it'll be fine. 

Atb

• Like 3

I’ve not checked in here in a little while, good progress, it’s looking great with some pigments on. Nice start to the base, it’s not something I ever do as I don’t trust my skills to not make them look rubbish!

• Like 1