1/72 B-24 J ‘Bat Out of Hell’

23 hours ago, tonyot said:

That looks excellent Rob,.... I love the subject and you`ve replicated it beautifully,..... the natural metal finish is very convincing too. I could never decide whether this one was gloss black or Neutral Grey underneath,.... your rendition does look the bee`s knee`s. 

Cheers

Tony

Looking at the photos and the light angle, I went with a went with the decal sheet call out for natural grey as it looked quite matte. there is one picture I found which has the dark coloured undersides and one without, which looking at the bomb mission markings is the earlier scheme. Black could be an option though as I am not that good at understanding the different black and white films and how different colours vary with them, you would have a lot more knowledge and understanding for that!

really glad you like it! Means a lot. I’m really please with how it’s come out

6 hours ago, russ c said:

Awesome work there, looks superb

Cheers Russ, it’s greatly appreciated!

Rob

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 6:54 PM, djos said:

Love it, big metal beast, looks nicely used.

Regards Djordje

Cheers, I think b-24’s look best when they are a bit battered and weather beaten... helps hide mistakes!

Rob

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Excellent job again. Aren't you missing a pitot head somewhere though?

Well I thought this, but on the directions it shows just one and it was on the right hand side, which is where I’ve put it and then the two lower ones on the nose. I thought about filling it but was worried about damaging the paint and transfer as I added to pointed bits last. I’ll double check my references again and make sure.

Rob

The problem with the B-24 was the distribution of 5 plants building the airframes, and some plants, notably Willow Run, supplying components to other factories.

During the production run of the J variant, the pitot head(s) were modified from the two above the nose, to the single low drag version lower port nose.

Eventually all airframes from the J series onwards had the single head. It wasn't just the block number either. The book Consolidated Mess tries to cover the bases in what was a complete hotch-potch of variations.

In short, your airframe had either 2 heads above the nose, or  1 lower port. No other combination was used. I'm afraid Hasegawa have got their instructions wrong, and unless you have a photo of the airframe in question, you won't know which option was used.

With the small navigator's window (not bulged) I would go for the 2 upper ones. Ford standardised on the bulged windows before the pitot change came in.

Yours is B-24J-165-CO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The problem with the B-24 was the distribution of 5 plants building the airframes, and some plants, notably Willow Run, supplying components to other factories.

During the production run of the J variant, the pitot head(s) were modified from the two above the nose, to the single low drag version lower port nose.

Eventually all airframes from the J series onwards had the single head. It wasn't just the block number either. The book Consolidated Mess tries to cover the bases in what was a complete hotch-potch of variations.

In short, your airframe had either 2 heads above the nose, or  1 lower port. No other combination was used. I'm afraid Hasegawa have got their instructions wrong, and unless you have a photo of the airframe in question, you won't know which option was used.

With the small navigator's window (not bulged) I would go for the 2 upper ones. Ford standardised on the bulged windows before the pitot change came in.

Yours is B-24J-165-CO

I do have a pic, it’s below.

PXWup7a.jpg

so the larger pitot should be above and just behind the forward window in the top left? Which it isn’t. So it shouldn’t have any larger just the smaller one? Which side is port again?? 

and yes before anyone says that photo shows all over metal finish...... but

kDMgQhL.jpgthis later picture doesn’t which is where the grey undersides on the scheme I chose came from

Rob

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Simply beautiful!  That has to be one of the most realistic metal finishes I've seen in a long time.  The weathering and wear is realistic too.  Nice job!

Thanks!! That means a lot!

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

That's superb! Always loved the Liberator.

Your photography's fine & love your brush painting skills. Gives it a nicely weathered patina that I woulddn't be able to get with my airbrush, & the actual aircraft were more likely to be brush painted on base anyway!

Love it! The Hasegawa kit looks alright to me, Ive had an Academy kit in the stash for years but I don't think I'd have the space for it once built.

Martin

• Thanks 1

A stunning build!  Can't quite believe it was brush-painted!

I have the Hasegawa kit too.  Your beautiful build is quite an inspiration to build it!

:clap2::goodjob:

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2021 at 1:05 PM, steh2o said:

Good job, love the shine of the metal finish!

Cheers, I like it too, I was considering a layer of aqua gloss but feel it wouldn’t have been realistic 

On 3/4/2021 at 11:17 PM, Robertone139 said:

Adding to the choir, amazingly realistic finish even more so since it was brush painted.

Thanks, really appreciate the kind comment

On 3/5/2021 at 1:53 AM, Lightningboy2000 said:

That's superb! Always loved the Liberator.

Your photography's fine & love your brush painting skills. Gives it a nicely weathered patina that I woulddn't be able to get with my airbrush, & the actual aircraft were more likely to be brush painted on base anyway!

Love it! The Hasegawa kit looks alright to me, Ive had an Academy kit in the stash for years but I don't think I'd have the space for it once built.

Martin

I have the minicraft/academy kit too, it’s nice but the Hase kit is better, weather it’s worth the price tag though! I got this one for my birthday and it was £40, a lucky eBay find.

Thank you for the kind comments, glad you like the brush work.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:48 AM, kapam said:

A stunning build!  Can't quite believe it was brush-painted!

I have the Hasegawa kit too.  Your beautiful build is quite an inspiration to build it!

:clap2::goodjob:

Build it! It’s great fun! Really appreciate what you have said about the build and being inspired, thank you

On 3/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, Big Dave S said:

Nice work. Really good.

Cheers Dave!

On 3/5/2021 at 11:42 AM, Meatbox8 said:

A great looking Liberator.  The metal finish is outstanding, especially considering it is brush painted. 

Thank you! Very kind of you!

cheers all

Rob