Badger's 1/72 Revell / MR Modellbau / OKB Panzer III ausf E

badger

This will be my build for this GB and one I've been looking forward to for several months.

This build started life as a chance ebay purchase of a slightly incomplete MR Modellbau resin conversion for the Revell Panzer III ausf L.

20210131_195647

I was aware the cupola and sprockets were missing but the set was cheap enough and included the lower hull, wheels and tracks from the revell kit.

When it arrived I also noticed the smoke candle rack and lower hull side doors were missing so a quick dig in the parts box found spares and some other useful bits.

20210131_195716

The metal idlers in the conversion set are pretty rubbish with huge mould slip so these will be binned and new OKB ones were ordered, along with sprockets and a cupola.

Whilst I was at it I also ordered the earlier pattern thinner roadwheels, return rollers and the correct 36cm track. The Revell parts were a welcome addition to the spares box and will probably end up on a Trumpeter Stug eventually.

20210131_195801

My main reference for this build will be the old but excellent Achtung Panzer volume on the Panzer III to which I have photocopied the ausf E plans for ease of use. 

2021-01-31_08-21-12

So there we have it - one very expensive, super accurate Panzer III ausf E which uses all of 3 or 4 parts from the Revell kit!!

According to Wikipedia only 96 of this varient were produced, all in 1939 so I'm hoping to depict mine in France 1940.

More next weekend

Ben

• Like 9

He Ben. Hope you are keeping well. Now this looks like it's going to be an interesting project! You've certainly got a interesting range of parts there.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

He Ben. Hope you are keeping well. Now this looks like it's going to be an interesting project! You've certainly got a interesting range of parts there.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix

Not doing so badly thanks although I seem to be busier than ever workwise in lockdown.

Yep - it's definitely a bit of a frankenpanzer but then I really enjoy these kinds of builds.

I've had a good study of all the parts and the plans tonight and already picked up that the rear hull plate is going to be a challenge as I'll have to cut away part of the Revell hull sides to get it to fit.

There are some huge casting blocks that will take some carving to remove (I try and avoid sanding resin as much as possible). 

The other issue is the OKB sprocket is too wide for the track! I think its meant for the slightly later 38cm version so will need narrowing slightly to fit properly.

The whole running gear is going to be a major challenge as the wheels are basically a butt joint to the suspension arms as I'll need to remove the locating pins as they are too big to fit the OKB wheels.

Lots of fun ahead then (And I do actually mean this!)

More soon

Ben

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looks like it’s going to be a fantastic finish build.

Thanks Ozzy - looking forward to getting starting on it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

Thought I'd pop by and see you future build, looks interesting, besides it's 1/72, what's not to like.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

And very welcome you are. The more 1/72 the merrier - it is the one true scale after all :giggle:

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

In between work on the SU-76i I have done a fair bit on this today.

I spent a while removing all the casting blocks from all the parts. Once done I assembled the Revell lower hull. I then added the resin hull top which fitted well.

20210206_200929

The main issues came with the rear plates. Due to the different design of the ausf E I had to remove the whole rear, and a small section of the hull sides. Eventually the resin parts slid in and were glued in place. The gaps have been filled and I'm waiting for this to dry before I can do any more.

20210206_200952

All the best

Ben

• Like 9

19 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. Looks like you are making good progress with this build too!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix.

I do have a few on the go at the moment!!

I've been pondering how best to tackle the running gear on this build for a few days. As i said above the sprocket is too wide for the narrow 36cm tracks. The roadwheels, when fitted together, don't leave enough of a gap to allow the track guide teeth to fit in between them which is a tad annoying!

I'm going to try something different to hopefully allow me to get it all together. I've attached the rear roadwheels, then I'm going to use these to fit the bottom section of track.

20210207_162333

Once this is dry, I'll fit the rear sprocket and  both sides of the idler using the track to align them. Once dry I'll then add the front road wheels and sprocket and fingers crossed it will all line up.

Thats the plan anyway.

More soon

Ben

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Fantastic progress 

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Busy boy Ben!!!  Looking good!!!

Thanks chaps. 

Well, so far, my idea has worked. I've trimmed a fair amount off the rear of the sprocket to get it to sit correctly under the fender, but it now lines up perfectly with the track attached to the road wheels!

2021-02-07_05-39-35

I've just started adding the road wheel fronts. Need to make some axles for the return rollers out of plastic rod to help secure them, and clean up the filler behind the idler as this is now ready to fit..

More soon

Ben

• Like 8

And the tracks on the other side. Bit more difficult this time as it broke in a couple of places. Luckily resin repairs well so it wasn't a huge problem.

20210207_230327

Just the return rollers and a couple of road wheels left to fit, but I'm calling it a night now.

More soon

Ben

• Like 8

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Very impressive modelling Ben. Really looks the business.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix and thanks for all the encouragement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Good going Ben. What did you do in the end to make your sprocket & road wheels fit the track? Good to see how modellers fit/ not fit tacks/wheels before/ after painting.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I would normally fit the tracks after painting but quickly realised this wasn't going to be an option on this build as the running gear is meant for the Attack kit, I think, and needs some serious "adapting" to fit the Revell hull.

In terms of the sprocket I removed some width from the mating surfaces of each piece, constantly trying it on the track until it fit. I then removed some of the mounting point from the rear to allow it to line up with the wheels.

The rear roadwheels were butt jointed onto the trimmed down Revell axles, taking care to align them all. Once dry a section of track was glued to them, and then the front wheels glued to the track as they didn't fit well onto the rears sadly (there was no room for the track teeth between the wheel halves. This seemed to work ok but meant building it all up using the tracks to help align everything.

Hope that makes sense?

Ben

• Like 3

I've been pondering how to display this, and came across a photo of a german tank crossing a level crossing.

A quick dig in the bits box produced a bag or resin Calibre 72 railway track. With a bit of trimming this fits nicely on one of my usual bases.

20210208_180852

I'll scratchbuild a barrier pole and have ordered an AB figures motorcycle and Feldgendarmerie which will fit nicely at the front by the pole.

More soon

Ben

• Like 6

Ben, This stuff is a bit too small for me nowadays. Though I had whole Airfix tank armies when I were but a lad.

Nice work on the tracks, I think I just used to glue them on with Bostik!

Here's a weird thing. I saw your entry above in view new content. Clicked on it and got the stupid 503 thing.

I hit the back button, and then found that your entry had disappeared! I still can't find it. 

I'll go over and report this. I don't think it's happened before to me but I could be wrong.

Maybe it's only invisible to me? Anyway, if you se you've been quoted. It's me.

Cheers, Pete

• Confused 1

Hi Pete 

Thanks for looking in and very strange happenings indeed. I get the 503 thing a bit, but then I'm often posting off my phone (not sure if that makes a difference).

I also had an army of airfix and matchbox kits and figures when I was a lad and I think that's where the 1/72 passion came from. Nearly over 30 years on from building my first kit (matchbox panzer ii) and I still model predominately in 1/72 with an occasional dabble in 1/35. 

I find the larger scale much more intimidating as there's just so much detail to add!

On with tonights post and I took a break from tracks to concentrate on the base. I had a bit of a plan for this, based on some period photos and this:

https://miniart-models.com/products/36059-railroad-crossing/#lg=1&slide=10

Using a resin track, some model railway cobbled road, thick card (to raise the road up), and my usual cheap ready mix filler got me here:

20210208_214240

It needs a bit of tidying yet, but the basic shapes are there.

More soon

Ben

• Like 9