Tamiya spray work trigger airbrush gummed up

dylan the rabbit

I've had this airbrush for around 10 years. It's been great, but over that timeframe, there were periods when I was bloody lazy and not cleaned it properly.

I've tried to get it working again, but the flow just isn't there, and all logical steps to clean it up have failed.

Should I just bin it and buy a replacement? I see there are plenty of Chinese knockoff trigger action brushes out there for around £50.

Edited by dylan the rabbit

Personally I would persevere a little more with the Tamiya, or if you must replace, get a branded airbrush.

Is the problem that you are not getting any airflow when you operate the trigger. If so, I’d first remove the air valve and connect up - the air will be always on, like holding the trigger, but if that sprays water okay then you know the fault is the air valve.  So you can then concentrate on the air valve or simply replace with a spare part.

My experience with the Chinese clones is one of inconstancy.  At first glance they look great but the reality is that they lack quality control - it is the luck of the draw whether you get a good one or not.  The weakest area seems to be the seals and o-rings.  They can’t seem to make decent ones, especially the tiny ones on the nozzle.  The ones I have seen have always been soft and malformed so hit or miss whether they seal.  I have tried to source decent replacements but I never found anywhere that sold nozzle o-rings on their own.  Airbrush wax will improve or fix the problem but for me there are too many variables to get right when airbrushing and I prefer and iffy airbrush not to add to them.

There are some decent good value branded airbrushes out there you don’t have to spend hundreds.  What trigger style are you after, traditional top button or pistol style?

Cheers,

Nigel

On 31/01/2021 at 20:08, dylan the rabbit said:

I see there are plenty of Chinese knockoff trigger action brushes out there for around £50.

About 3 years ago I bought a compressor which came with 2 'free' Chinese airbrushes. I already had an H&S, but I thought I would give them a try for less precise work. The first's insides turned into black sludge the moment a blew some cleaner though it - the seals disintegrated. The 2nd has been going strong as my primer airbrush (Mr Surfacer 1200 and cleaned with cellulose thinner) ever since. Seems £50 is a lot to pay with no certainty of success. 

On the other hand, if you were in the market for a compressor you could get a kit with a free airbrush or two (as I did) and see if you get lucky before buying a brush from a reputable maker.

Cheers

Colin

Cheers guys.

I'll have another go at the Tamiya once I've got some time. It's a great little gun. Just my stupidity that's blocked it up. I've had it sitting in cleaner for such a while, the seals are probably all knackered. Will look around for some spares before making a decision. I also need to organise a spray booth too, as I'll be spraying in my cellar, and venting it up through an extractor fan to an external vent pipe, and that's going to cost around £80.

I prefer the trigger guns Nigel. Something about the top button that feels weird to me.

Okay, misunderstood.

Really just needle and nozzle then.  Does the needle look in good condition - no bends or paint.

Does the nozzle look good, nice circular hole, no splits.  If so I'd give the nozzle a nice long soak in acetone and try cleaning with interdental brushes or twisted paper.

Cheers,

Nigel

On 2/3/2021 at 11:07 AM, nheather said:

Okay, misunderstood.

Really just needle and nozzle then.  Does the needle look in good condition - no bends or paint.

Does the nozzle look good, nice circular hole, no splits.  If so I'd give the nozzle a nice long soak in acetone and try cleaning with interdental brushes or twisted paper.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel, what would you recommend as an alternative to acetone? Can't find any in the shops, and the missus doesn't have any.

36 minutes ago, nheather said:

Cellulose thinners - any art or DIY shop.  Poundland, Lidl, Aldi, Asda, Halfords.

It's nail varnish remover too - so Boots, savers, Superdrug.

Cheers,

Nigel

Cheers Nigel. Tracked some down at our chemist. Not venturing out of the village today. Shopping local. For local people you know.