Panzer III Reference

Enzo the Magnificent

anyone able to provide references for what sections of a Pz III (Ausf D if that makes a difference) would have a cast texture? Want to try adding some to mine

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

anyone able to provide references for what sections of a Pz III (Ausf D if that makes a difference) would have a cast texture? Want to try adding some to mine

Extremely few parts of the III would have a cast texture, Rob, as the rolled steel was quite smooth.

The tow points on your D would have it at the front, but not excessive texture. Also the idler adjustment covers at the rear would have a slight texture.

As far as I can tell, that would be about it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Extremely few parts of the III would have a cast texture, Rob, as the rolled steel was quite smooth.

The tow points on your D would have it at the front, but not excessive texture. Also the idler adjustment covers at the rear would have a slight texture.

As far as I can tell, that would be about it. 

thats ok - will leave it for something more cast

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Just stumbled across this post by Jo NZ showing the Stug III G's MG shield with its support (the loader's hatch).

Makes sense to have a support.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 3:35 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Just stumbled across this post by @Jo NZ showing the Stug III G's MG shield with its support (the loader's hatch).

Now that's a $10 fix to a $2 problem if ever I saw one. Very clever, but there must have been a qiucker and easier way surely?

Andy

• Like 1

Found this diagram illustrating the difference in road wheel width when the tracks were increased from 38 to 40cm:

spacer.png

I'm not sure if any of the model brands have quite captured that tapered look to the rubber portion.   Dragon has the corners rounded,  while Takom has them a sharp 90 degree.  How are Academy and RFM?

regards,

Jack

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

TRIGGER WARNING

The following post contains images of a distressing nature. Modellers of a nervous disposition are advised to have smelling salts on hand before reading further.

Those who kindly followed my build of two DAK panzer III's will know that I made one in the early camouflage scheme of RAL 7008 on a base of RAL 8000, and the other in the later scheme of RAL 7027 on a base of RAL 8020. Early is on your left, late on your right in this shot:

2021-05-02_06-29-55

You'll also be aware that I had some issues with the physical properties of the paint brand I was using (Mig Ammo) and so I acquired the four colours in the Model Air range from Vallejo. For comparison purposes, here is a grid showing all eight paints, early on the left, late on the right, Mig on the top row, Vallejo on the bottom. Colours are brush-painted in double layers on plain white unprimed polystyrene and photographed in weak direct sunlight.

DAK grid

For some this will be old news. Others will be shaken to the core.  Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness. earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria. One would expect some variance between manufacturers, even of standardised official colours like those defined by the RAL. But as you can see, these two paint makers, both of whom would doubtless claim to have carefully researched and produced highly authentic colours, have irreconcilably different ideas about what these paints actually looked like. I don't know about you, but my confidence in the accuracy of my models is badly shaken.

For what it's worth, reading around the discussions on various sites and comparisons of relics said to still have their original paint on etc, Vallejo seems to have got it about right with the late scheme. Vallejo is also on the right lines with the early scheme but probably has the base colour rather too dark. Tiger 131 is painted in the early scheme and has that yellowy brown base as more of a mustard yellow. Here's a couple more panzers that I airbrushed yesterday, again the early is on the left, the late on the right:

Early and late DAK

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this post, try a stiff drink.

• Haha 1