1/48 Lancaster Admiral Prune W4118

woody37

Cheers guys.

I've been working on the turrets today as a break from digging up tree stumps on a day off, just the front one to do now. The cartridge chutes on the rear were made from a tin can cut up, us modellers don't half collect some random stuff on the bench! As well as the Eduard etch set, further detail was added to the mid upper too. It's quite a poor representation inside the mid upper, but looks OK once painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wasn't quite happy with the exhaust staining on the wings so did a bit more work on them using soft pastel to add more soot and a pencil for some oil streaks on the nacelles. Oh, and some Tamiya exhaust weathering stuff on the shrouds, it's subtle but noticeable.

spacer.png

I need to re-varnish the inner wing section near the root due to removing a bit of weathering hence the streaks if you look closely.

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 20

Thanks for all the kind comments gents, hoping to get a bit more done later today, garden maintenance and a classic car show has stopped play, not to mention the aching and sunburnt body that resulted!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

not got much done this week but the turrets are finish now other than adding the gun barrels and the chore of painting the bombs is now complete! The red bands were painted freehand but the green lines were from a decal sliced into thin strips.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Getting there bit by bit. Who knows, a new kit might come out now I've nearly finished this...oh wait....😂

• Like 13

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

Who knows, a new kit might come out now I've nearly finished this...

You don't seem to need the advantages a modern kit to make a stunning Lanc. This is glorious!

Richie

• Like 1

On 21/05/2021 at 16:53, woody37 said:

Been plodding away this week on the Lanc. 

The fuselage is largely there apart from the bomb bay and some small bits to go on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Currently working on the wings. Getting those exhaust shrouds done was a most pleasurable experience and I'm currently fighting those roundel decals over the raised panels. I don't have any masks for them, have all the others or else I would of sprayed them. Klear needs adding to the wings to seal the decals in once the roundels are bedded down.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think I can notice some very delicate, subtle, shading on the panel and rivet lines of the fusalage. Am I right about that? Did you do any pre/or/post shading? Curious as I did not see it in the text of pictures. At any rate, this is very beautiful work.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great patience being exhibited there Neil, I never bother with the bombs but you've done a cracking job there.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I rarely bother due to the monotony of doing them, but the lugs to position them in the bay can hardly be hidden on this kit! 

21 hours ago, Johnson said:

Superb painting - and weathering! :worthy:

15 hours ago, SallysDad said:

I think I can notice some very delicate, subtle, shading on the panel and rivet lines of the fusalage. Am I right about that? Did you do any pre/or/post shading? Curious as I did not see it in the text of pictures. At any rate, this is very beautiful work.

No, it's all post weathering, either oils rubbed in to the rivet and panel line recesses or soft pastel brushed in after the matt coat, I find it much faster this way, also I find that any pre-weathering gets lost anyway. Thanks :)

18 hours ago, RichieW said:

You don't seem to need the advantages a modern kit to make a stunning Lanc. This is glorious!

Richie

A lot of the prep work got it to this stage, re-scribing it and adding the rivets makes a big difference but I'm rather looking forwards to doing a HK Lanc to see how it compares. I've lost my mojo a few times on this and done other things in between. I'd been putting the bombs off for a few weeks 😂

19 hours ago, Fritag said:

Each of those bombs is a masterpiece of painting in its own right Neil!

Thanks Steve, painting 18 of the little blighters was like sticking needles in my eyes...well not quite I guess. but lugging a few tons of stuff around the garden was more appealing so that took priority last week 😂

• Like 2

Hello Woody,

I regret having shown mine;  What talent, and what a result!👍👍

You sublimate a model that remains a reference today.

The bombs are a great addition to the cargo hold according to me, because they break the uniform black.

very-very :goodjob: !

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 1

Neil, I'm amazed at the clarity of your turret/canopy glazing! Tin can for the ammo chutes wat else would you use? That's the thing about a hobby, we tent to use stuff we find around us. I'm always collecting ali foil form all sorts of can closures.

Colin

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 9:09 PM, Quiet Mike said:

I haven't checked in for a while, what a treat to see it come together. A fantastic build, I'm taking lots of notes here!

Thanks Mike, it's getting there slowly :)

23 hours ago, Snafu35 said:

Hello Woody,

I regret having shown mine;  What talent, and what a result!👍👍

You sublimate a model that remains a reference today.

The bombs are a great addition to the cargo hold according to me, because they break the uniform black.

very-very :goodjob: !

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Hi Eric, yours was an inspiration so I'm very glad you posted yours in here. Agree on the bomb bay, I have a Manchester conversion I did a couple of years ago and still need to stick some bombs in there too!

18 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Neil, I'm amazed at the clarity of your turret/canopy glazing! Tin can for the ammo chutes wat else would you use? That's the thing about a hobby, we tent to use stuff we find around us. I'm always collecting ali foil form all sorts of can closures.

Colin

Thanks Colin. It's the first time I've used tin can, using the etch bender made it real easy too, definitely taking this approach in  the future!

So here we have all the big bits together so far for a dry fit. Still a bit of weathering bits to sort on the wings but ready for the sticky out bits next. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dreading getting the bomb doors on although I cheated a bit and fitted a strip of plastic into each side of the bay to provide a raised lip to which the doors will sit against. I like the design on the new HK kit around this problem.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 12

I've somehow missed this build, Neil - you've exceeded even your usual high standards. What a stunner!

Tom

• Like 1