1/48 Lancaster Admiral Prune W4118

woody37

Looking good. I have to say I do love a Manchester, looks much nippier than the Lancaster, and I really liked the look of your model a while back.

I completely agree about deciding to ignore some inaccuracies. It’s a hobby!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

That interior is looking brilliant, really nice details.

the Manchester is very nice and would love to build one but the Lancaster wins out every time for me. Probably a nostalgia thing, it was the first proper big kit I had when I was little, I built two actually and was just in love. Also one flew low level over my house after doing a fly over at a charity cricket match near my house, it’s a stand out moment for me 😂

Rob 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 9:53 AM, rob85 said:

That interior is looking brilliant, really nice details.

the Manchester is very nice and would love to build one but the Lancaster wins out every time for me. Probably a nostalgia thing, it was the first proper big kit I had when I was little, I built two actually and was just in love. Also one flew low level over my house after doing a fly over at a charity cricket match near my house, it’s a stand out moment for me 😂

Rob 

I know what you mean about nostalgia although despite building one of these as a youngster, it's the old Matchbox kits that do it for me.

Managed a bit more progress last weekend but never got round to posting the pics. As this is an early one, I've done the interior all green. There's a bit more detail to sort out but its largely there. I'm going to add two of the crew members partly to busy the cockpit up a bit and partly to add some life...and an excuse to have the map on the table 😂

Here's where it's up to, not touched it for a week...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Getting the figures in is a tight squeeze so they've been on the slimfast in a few places!

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 21

Very nice, I was going to part with my Tamiya Lancaster with the news of the HK Lanc. Then I took a look at what I gathered for my Tamiya kit and decided against it. And now Neil has provided further inspiration to carry on!

I still pre-ordered a HK Lanc!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scooby said:

Very nice, I was going to part with my Tamiya Lancaster with the news of the HK Lanc. Then I took a look at what I gathered for my Tamiya kit and decided against it. And now Neil has provided further inspiration to carry on!

I still pre-ordered a HK Lanc!

The Tamiya kit still builds up into a nice kit but I would of held fire if I'd of known about the new kit coming, the build rate is too slow to knock two Lancs out in a year! Looking forwards to seeing what others do with it however :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark, 

After an age of procrastination, I finally painted the figures yesterday. Perhaps the trousers should be leather rather than uniform blue but lets pretend it's a summer test flight and they've just stuck their jackets on! The pilots seat is just resting there at the moment, I'll glue it into place just before the canopy goes on. The Nav needed top be done before gluing the bomb bay floor in place so progress should speed up now that's done. I cut the navs legs down to get a better fit between the seat and his desk. Looks a bit weird here but you'll only be able to look vertically down on him once it's all together.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 20

12 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

Excellent job there on the figure painting!

Lookin' good...

SD

11 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Crew look excellent  . . .

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job on the crew figures,  they look fab.   

Chris 

Thanks guys, it's been a good while since I painted a figure!

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 4:30 PM, crobinsonh said:

Cracking job as per usual. Looking forward to seeing more progress. Be interesting to see how the 1/48th HKM Lancaster measures up.

Thanks Colin, yes, I might sit back and watch a few before getting one but it looks rather good so far.

looking great , good job on the interior. 

Now that you have part of the crew in place, I noticed that the lancaster has only one pilot ? I always assumed large planes had a pilot and a co pilot with 2 control sticks. Is there a reason the lancaster did not have this ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 8:02 PM, LOX said:

looking great , good job on the interior. 

Now that you have part of the crew in place, I noticed that the lancaster has only one pilot ? I always assumed large planes had a pilot and a co pilot with 2 control sticks. Is there a reason the lancaster did not have this ?

Sorry, I've just noticed your question, Pete answers it below. Some did have two control columns and I think it was a bolt on option for the standard aircraft but the RAF did away with a second pilot, certainly for night ops.

On 3/11/2021 at 8:24 PM, exdraken said:

fantastic work!

love those interiors!

:thumbsup:

really captures the colors and atmosphere! a bit of tension....

Thanks, adding a couple of aircrew gives it a bit more character, just a pain painting them!

On 3/11/2021 at 8:52 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Yes, just the one Pilot, who had the Flight Engineer to help out, especially on Take off.

Thanks Pete :)

I've been a bit lazy on the photographs but got the fuselage zipped up over the weekend between other jobs. Some of the side windows have been permanently fitted but the forward ones will be pushed out (well, pushed in and removed via the rear turret hole) at the end of the build and Krystal Klear added instead. It's been primed to check for seam issues, there were several but all sorted now. The fuselage still needs its rivets adding so I'll get round to that over the next week prior to painting. Beginning to look like a Lanc!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still some more detail to go in the nose yet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And looking like a Lanc here...

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 14